• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Best piece of advice for a competing newb.

kaz

iLift
First comp is coming, what advice have you got for newbs in the sport?
Socks, soft suit, flat shoes, wraps. Have been training super hard!

So how do you survive your first PL competition?

Last edited:
Shit my fucking pants.

Pick an easy opener, something you can triple, and be confident.

The rest has already been taken care of.... I'd hope

An opener you can do on your worst day, a second you've done in training, balls to the wall for your third.

Don't cut weight for your first comp.

Starburst snakes are your friend.

Shit my fucking pants.
so pack a spare soft suit? Lol

An opener you can do on your worst day, a second you've done in training, balls to the wall for your third.

Don't cut weight for your first comp.

Starburst snakes are your friend.
Starburst = win!

I've eaten too much over Easter.... should drop with healthier eating choices!
Do energy drinks have a place or will they make you crash later in the comp?

dont get too revved up, thinking clearly will help you more.

yeah easy openers, first comp is basically getting numbers up so you have something to beat next time, and getting a feel for how shit runs

All I can think about at the moment is not squatting deep enough, or pausing on the bench.
When i train ATM I'm putting the prompts in my head. I only see Trent fortnightly and that's alot to cram in one session!

so pack a spare soft suit? Lol

Starburst = win!

I've eaten too much over Easter.... should drop with healthier eating choices!
Do energy drinks have a place or will they make you crash later in the comp?

I'd avoid carbonated energy drinks because they'll bloat you. Try NoDoze instead.

Bahaha sabotaged!
Are you boys in the same class?
we never competed together, his ego got him when i passed him on squats and he broke himself trying to do 120 for a triple after i did it (this was not long after i first went to minh) and he stopped lifting. he was at a few of my comps, but only helping me out with numbers for warmups n shit.

Keep calm, remember your technique & trust in yourself and commit.

The first comp shouldn't be very serious it should be there just to get a good base and get a feel for the comp enviroment.

What's wrong with cutting weight for your first comp?
Is it just in case you fuck it up?

A number of reasons.....

The ONLY reason to cut weight for a comp is to break records.
9/10 records should be the LAST thing a new lifter needs on their mind.

Cutting weight and recovering properly to preform at your best is not an easy feat, especially if you don't have 24 hour weigh in or a strong mind to eat like you weight 500lb.

If you dont recover properly, cutting weight will hurt your bench, squat will be down, but in my experience, deadlift stays relatively unaffected.

A new lifter should just be focused on:
Not being nervous.
Waiting for all the calls.
Getting a feel for comp atmosphere
Blocking out any differences in what your used to in regards to the venue.
Meeting new people
Having fun.

The point about records makes perfect sense. I think I'll be cutting weight but I'll do it over the very long term (months) and won't try to manipulate water. I'm gonna aim to be a lean 65kg or so but I suck at diet lol so I'm probably going to buy a dietician or something

Yeah, Im not talking about cutting BF% over a few months, Im talking about water weight a day or so before comps.

I thought you were trying to put on weight?

I've only done one novice comp but I'd say LISTEN to the calls. Don't be hasty

This might help some as well.....

PTC Brisbane - Issue 4