• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

need some tips for HIIT

M

mkj

Ok so I know that one of the best ways to lose body fat is by HIIT but I am a bit unsure of what type of things I should be doing. The gym that I go to has mostly "technogym" brand equipment but they dont have any interval programs on themo i so have been doing my own intervals. I use the elliptical machine and do 2mins of recovery for every 1min of sprinting for about 20minutes at a time. Is this a good example of HIIT or should I be doing 1min of each. I also don't know whether the resistance should be increased when doing the sprinting or if it is just the speed. As I said I don't know much about it so any tips would be great!

I think what your doing is fine. I do not increase the ibcline when I do HIIT just the speed.
I find it more effective on the treadmill that the eliptical, just my preferance.

Yeah I would love to be able to do it on the treadmill but I am having some trouble with shin splints at the moment so its making it very hard to run. I don't get any pain when I run on the elliptical though. I have been to athletes foot to get the proper shoes and orthotics and they still hurt so I guess I just have to wait for them to heal.

Shin splints require patience. DO NOT run until they are completely heeled. Well done on going to Athlete's Foot. I work for a major sporting goods company and would recommend them to anyone- they really know their stuff.

Are your orthotics new? It can take quite a while to adjust to wearing them. I used to have a pair, but never wore them during sport as I just couldn't adjust to the discomfort. Stupid pronating feet...

I got the orthotics when i got the new runners. They are sports orthotics. Hopefully it doesn't take too long for them to heal. Do you think I need to stop running on the elliptical as well?

Are the orthotics fitted by a podiatrist? Normally they give pretty strict instructions as to how to deal with these sorts of things.

Is it just a muscle injury, or do you have an actual fracture?

Shin splints are an overuse injury- if you are still using the =same muscles on the elliptical trainer, you will exacerbate the problem. But if you are on the road to recovery, the elliptical is great because it involves no impact.

Make sure that stretch and recovery are a major part of your routine, slowly introduce yourself back into running and walking any distances, and vary your cardio workout.

I had shin splints, its the worst. You really need to stop till its gone. As for HIIT I'd prefer 30sec sprints at 90% with 2min rest intervals. Usually complete ten with one 50% 40sec sprints first and last. And thats all you would need.

So I trialled some running on the treadmill and found that my shin splints have gone!!! For now at least anyway. So I am now able to do HIIT on the treadmill instead of the eliptical. I did some this afternoon doing a split of 2mins @ 5km/hr and then 1min of 10km/hr repeating it for 20mins. Is this ok for HIIT or should I be doing something different??

When you are just starting this is fine. If there is a foam roller at your gym, become friends with it for stretching out your leg muscles. A good stretch program will help manage your shin splints.