• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training for rugby

van_man

Hey guys Ive been looking to get back into shape for rugby. I play prop and have been thinking about a variation of one of the 5x5s and some plyometrics but I'm still a gym newb so any advice would go a long way
cheers

Has he played the game? His stuff looks ok

Strength and fitness is great, but if you don't have the basic skills or initiative you're fucked. Lots of guys fall into that problem. They are big and strong but can't catch and pass or tackle and take a hit.

Last edited:
Hey sorry guys I've been working away. Last time I was at the gym I was doing a 5x5 variation around intermediate level. Seasons about halfway but I'm giving it a miss this season. I just wanna get a head start for next season and smash some scrums and rucks

Hey sorry guys I've been working away. Last time I was at the gym I was doing a 5x5 variation around intermediate level. Seasons about halfway but I'm giving it a miss this season. I just wanna get a head start for next season and smash some scrums and rucks

Hey mate - fellow rugby player here - I have a log but my training during the season is just really a mix of heavy bbing style training with some power work mixed in and then abit of light cardio - after the season - honestly not 100% sure what I will do - thinking a mix of 5x5 - combined with some stuff from Joe Defranco and Westside - gotta work it out really.

As taurus said though the biggest thing will be the training you do at Rugby training - learning the skills of the game etc - and also being a prop how to scrummage, lift in lineouts etc etc - I was out of the game for a few years and coming back - yes I think I busted my ass in the gym and yes I have got myself in pretty good condition and yes I am a big dude - but come that 1st game I was a mess. Now acouple of seasons in and building and thankfully being part of representative programs again (must not of played to bad lol) - training with the team and learning the skills is the biggest thing.

I played in the Brumbies Provincial Championships a few weeks ago and going through the Rep training its took my game to another level which gym/cardio would never do.

Not saying its not important - focus, train fucking hard in the off-season but when you get into pre-season rugby training listen to everything and have a crack at anything it will do you the world of good.

Last edited:
My training partner works at Storm as a S&C coach so feel free to pm with any queries

They mostly follow Westside (somewhere between the Simmons and DeFranco model)

You guys catch the Lions match? I'm feeling for lealiifano but.
Yea we do plenty ball skills and set piece practice but at the moment I'm trying to concentrate on my strength and conditioning so I can hit next season in the best shape possible.
Yea I bet rep down canberra would be a whole other level haha