• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

0ni

Registered Rustler
As the title suggests i am having troubles when i squat my knees come in.
Am i right in thinking that the glutes are pretty strong external rotators and if my knees are coming in its more me not using my glutes when im squatting than a weakness in the glutes? Whats the best cue for squatting with the glutes, knees out doesnt really seem to be a good cue. Maybe there is a glute sctivation execise that works well?

Also while im in the thread i also need to increase adductor flexibility so that i can open my groin more when i squat. My stance needs to be wider than his allows currently. Cheers and inb4 just squat or eat more

scott had me doing a couple of sets of 20 fire hydrants before i squat and GHR/hip thrusts/kb swings as accessory work.

whether its glute weakness or inactivation the answer would be the same.

as far as cues go, if you can't keep your knees out then drop the weight and do a shitload of work at a percentage of 1rm that you can squat properly till you re learn proper technique.

work in progress for me, but i got an increase in my squat from 257 - 280 by not squatting over 200 for around 6 weeks using this method.

Yeah i spent the last 3 months doing submax work and it worked well but when i crank up the intensity in the last week its still there. Ill try those exercises prior to squatting today and see how that goes

Just get stronger, if your form sucks at 130 and your max is 140, your form at 130 will be brilliant when you can squat 160.

seems from your response you expect instant results - i wouldn't expect that. My problem hasn't gone away yet but has improved. it'll take time, give it a few months.

Just get stronger, if your form sucks at 130 and your max is 140, your form at 130 will be brilliant when you can squat 160.

I will get stronger faster if i can hold technique with limit weights
Getting stronger just hides the bigger issue

As chum said.

Also mobilitywod for mobility drills, though I was reading an article a while back saying that the head of the femur will play a large role in how wide you can open you legs.... Not everyone can just do mobility work.

I'll see if I can dig it out.

Well im certainly doing THAT exercise in the changing rooms and not in the rack LOL

Agree with what most others said.
Lengthen the inhibiting muscles, strengthen the lagging ones, and only use weights that will allow you to maintain excellent form.
Take the time to do it now, to set yourself up for long term gains.

I have found x-band walks and banded bad girls to be great for glute (medius in particular) activiation for some of my lifters.

I'm happy you didn't post a picture.

More often than not it is a case of strengthening the adductor.
Pretty simple, you body is slung between the legs, the muscles that are not strong will limit range of movement, and other muscles around the joint take over as a protective measure.

Goblets squats, lots of them if there is a weakness.
Do them the way Dan John suggests.

blisstree-pants.jpg

This may sound really silly.. but is activating glutes the same as contracting it (squeezing hard)?
Squeezing hard is a form of activating, but not all activation is a hard squeeze. You have to activate your erectors and traps when you squat, but it probably won't be squeezing those muscles hard. Activation just means the muscle fibres are firing and doing something, which can be anywhere between a light, subtle contraction through to trying to push a baby through the target muscle.