Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35

Thread: The Paleo Diet: for and against

  1. #1
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,084
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default The Paleo Diet: for and against

    The Paleo Diet: for and against

    this comment got me thinking a little.

    · Well to start with breast fed babies poo a slurry of breastmilk. It only starts thickening once they start eating solids. Our guts and colons are long... much longer compared to a strict carnivore. Let's look at a cat which is a strict carnivore. They have pure carnivore teeth designed for ripping flesh. We don't. Most of our teeth are designed for grinding. A cat's stomach is high in acid to break down meat. Our guts aren't, which indicates that we were designed to be carrion eaters. Whilst we don't eat rotting flesh now (homo habilis was unlikely to have been a hunter but a scavanger) we cook meat to speed up the rotting process. A cat's intestines are short designed to process and expel the meat as easily as possible. Ours are longer which indicates we are supposed to be eating primarily vegetarian foods. So if the bowel/colon cancer is a red herring WHY is it that when you have a colonoscopy they ask you to stop eating meat for weeks before the procedure? Because red meat STICKS to the sides of your colon and they can't differentiate it from blood. You need FIBRE to process the meat in your guts."



  2. #2
    I have Ep1c Calendar kunce Rugby88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    12,400
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Eat as much red meat,fish etc as you can I say!
    Broscience - They've done studies you know, 60% of the time it works all the time....

    "It's the rare individual who lets themselves be steered by what they feel is their own passion" Dave Tate

  3. #3
    Active Member chocchillimango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10,102
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sydking View Post
    The Paleo Diet: for and against

    this comment got me thinking a little.

    · Well to start with breast fed babies poo a slurry of breastmilk. It only starts thickening once they start eating solids. Our guts and colons are long... much longer compared to a strict carnivore. Let's look at a cat which is a strict carnivore. They have pure carnivore teeth designed for ripping flesh. We don't. Most of our teeth are designed for grinding. A cat's stomach is high in acid to break down meat. Our guts aren't, which indicates that we were designed to be carrion eaters. Whilst we don't eat rotting flesh now (homo habilis was unlikely to have been a hunter but a scavanger) we cook meat to speed up the rotting process. A cat's intestines are short designed to process and expel the meat as easily as possible. Ours are longer which indicates we are supposed to be eating primarily vegetarian foods. So if the bowel/colon cancer is a red herring WHY is it that when you have a colonoscopy they ask you to stop eating meat for weeks before the procedure? Because red meat STICKS to the sides of your colon and they can't differentiate it from blood. You need FIBRE to process the meat in your guts."

    i'm not a fan of the paleo diet unless someone is very active given the high saturated fat content, and I'm wary of paleo enthusiasts who think bacon should be part of every meal, snack and dessert ... LOL

    I like some aspects of it though as it's probably quite suitable for some if you need to eliminate dairy and/or grains for intolerances etc.

    It's just another dietary lifestyle that is supported only by anecdotal evidence and evangelism (broscience?) and not any real evidence to back it up. Some of the claims are outlandish ...
    BUT, that said, with regard to fibre, you can get all three kinds of fibre in a paleo diet that were mentioned in that article.

    What is going on with the Age these days.....sigh....
    Last edited by chocchillimango; 14-03-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Deadlift/Bench/Squat: 120kg/48kg/Hidden Content


  4. #4
    I have Ep1c Calendar kunce Rugby88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    12,400
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I liked this statement:

    "Sometimes nutrition seems like a war zone with different tribes slugging it out over what’s the best way to eat"

    So true...and this really comes down to money and just someones idea that they have made public....at the end of the day eat a balanced diet, that includes foods from all food groups...

    I do stand by my - eat as much meat, fish etc as you can though...I think this should be the base of any good diet....
    Broscience - They've done studies you know, 60% of the time it works all the time....

    "It's the rare individual who lets themselves be steered by what they feel is their own passion" Dave Tate

  5. #5
    Active Member chocchillimango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10,102
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I liked this statement:

    "Sometimes nutrition seems like a war zone with different tribes slugging it out over what’s the best way to eat"

    So true...and this really comes down to money and just someones idea that they have made public....at the end of the day eat a balanced diet, that includes foods from all food groups...

    I do stand by my - eat as much meat, fish etc as you can though...I think this should be the base of any good diet....
    that's the sensible approach but wow, when I read "foods from all food groups" I immediately thought of my favourite varieties of cacao ... rofl
    cos chocolate makes everything better ... even meat
    Deadlift/Bench/Squat: 120kg/48kg/Hidden Content


  6. #6
    I have Ep1c Calendar kunce Rugby88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    12,400
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chocchillimango View Post
    that's the sensible approach but wow, when I read "foods from all food groups" I immediately thought of my favourite varieties of cacao ... rofl
    cos chocolate makes everything better ... even meat
    I saw on my kitchen rules where they made that mexican style mince with chocolate...would be keen to try!
    Broscience - They've done studies you know, 60% of the time it works all the time....

    "It's the rare individual who lets themselves be steered by what they feel is their own passion" Dave Tate

  7. #7
    Active Member chocchillimango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10,102
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    I saw on my kitchen rules where they made that mexican style mince with chocolate...would be keen to try!

    yep a mexican chilli con carne. Best thing would be a real mexican mole sauce on chicken. I can't believe I wrote that. I'd really make an effort to love chicken if i could make an authentic mole.

    next cooking mission...mole sauce.

    earlier comment probably the result of my post workout haze in which i scoffed two of those chocolate coconut things.... straight from the freezer...yum.

    Which btw, are totally paleo friendly... LOL
    Deadlift/Bench/Squat: 120kg/48kg/Hidden Content


  8. #8
    Active Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    6,475
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I don't see the point in restricting any food group unless you are intolerant.

    And I agree with Joel, eat lots of meat!

    chocchillimango: I sort of thought from you're blog posts that it was pretty close to paleo. Just the vibe I got

  9. #9
    Active Member chocchillimango's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    10,102
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jzpowahz View Post
    I don't see the point in restricting any food group unless you are intolerant.

    And I agree with Joel, eat lots of meat!

    chocchillimango: I sort of thought from you're blog posts that it was pretty close to paleo. Just the vibe I got
    oh I definitely do not follow a paleo diet ... although I seem to have a lot of paleo followers LOL

    I include some stuff that just happens to be paleo friendly by accident rather than design...probably because I accommodate food intolerances and I have one too. I limit grains due to fructan intolerance but still have oats and I wouldn't be Italian if I didn't have some polenta from time to time...
    Deadlift/Bench/Squat: 120kg/48kg/Hidden Content


  10. #10
    Active Member DREADLIFT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,403
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jzpowahz View Post
    I don't see the point in restricting any food group unless you are intolerant.

    And I agree with Joel, eat lots of meat!

    chocchillimango: I sort of thought from you're blog posts that it was pretty close to paleo. Just the vibe I got
    The basic cornerstone of the paleo ethos is avoidance of all grains, alot of weight training people include dairy and some of the paleo "no no's" such as potato's, however its the removal of grains from the diet that many people get such rejuvination from.

    The idea is that even in people who aren't intolerant, some degree of inflamation occurs in the gut and intestine from the grains (wheat mainly), as the purpose of a seed is to pass through the digestion intact for transport and growth of the plant species.

    Its thought that removing this from the diet, inflamation decreases and the whole digestion system works better > in turn greater energy, less feeling like a bloated donut etc.
    Protein manufacturers are, by and large, less trustworthy than toothless Russians selling handguns in Moscovite back alleys.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •