• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help

A

Acous3

I was just wandering y power lifters are so chunky... do they require higher calorie intakes or do they just not watch their weight. not trying to be rude just wandering y the are much larger...

They're always in calorie excess as they need to make sure their bodies have enough fuel, to put it simply. This means that excess energy/protein consumed turns to body fat. Since they're concerned with moving weight rather then their physique this higher % of body fat does not bother them. Also there's generally alot of muscle under the fat which ads to the 'chunkiness'.

It's because they eat copious amounts of food to gain as much strength as possible with scant regard for their health.

It's because they eat copious amounts of food to gain as much strength as possible with scant regard for their health.
The first part was fine but the end sort off got me a little bit puzzled; not because it was wrong by any means, but because you did not qualify your answer. Sorry mate.

I know you've asked me for the 13500 calorie "diet" I was having at the AIS, and I will put it up very soon. In addition to it, I will also post my blood test results for you from that time so you can see for yourself if some or all powerlifters/weightlifters qualify to be included as part of your reply. I will go into detail of how I looked when on that diet so as to give not only a clear picture, but a total picture of what was going on in my life when I was on such an ultra high calorie diet.

Talk soon.

Fadi.

Correct me if I'm wrong but quite a few powerlifters / weightlifters (not all) are obese, how can this be good for general health?

General health goes beyond body fat percentage.

It's possible to have two people of the same weight, strength and bodyfat, but one is unfit with adult onset diabetes and risk of heart disease, and the other is fit with no health problems or risks.

Just think of the classic Italian mamma, obese by Anglo standards - yet she is healthier and lives longer than the Anglo woman with less body fat.

Health isn't measured by the size of someone's bum. It's measured by a combination of things. Doesn't mean body fat doesn't matter, simply that it's only part of general health, and not even the most important part. The most significant contributor to longevity is cardiovascular fitness, and after that social connections.

Obesity is usually an effect of poor overall health, rather than a cause of it. That is, the person has a poor diet and little physical activity, and then becomes obese. Of course the effect then contributes to the cause: because they're heavy, they avoid physical activity more, and have to entertain themselves while not moving, for example by eating more. But the prime causes are diet and inactivity; obesity is an effect.

Last edited:
I believe Kyle summed it up for me. Thanks mate.

Health isn't measured by the size of someone's bum. It's measured by a combination of things. Doesn't mean body fat doesn't matter, simply that it's only part of general health, and not even the most important part. The most significant contributor to longevity is cardiovascular fitness, and after that social connections.

Sorry Shrek, if you understood by my comment that I was saying you're wrong, then I'll have to say I did not express myself correctly. I just wanted some clarification from you, that was all. I've been around heavy weightlifters who were buddies of mine, and we were all healthy. So as Kyle has said, it takes more than what you see on the exterior that accounts for what the interior says.

Let me give you an example: when people go on holiday and put on weight (fat) in the process, studies have shown these people sometimes to have become healthier than before the holiday outing. You'd be surprised what havoc the stress hormone Cortisol (amongst others) would do to someone who eats when under stress and full of negativity. So all in all, it's like the iceberg, what you see on top is not the whole picture.

Just a quick prelude to my 13500 calories; some days I was having no less than 30 eggs per day and 3kg of meat amongst other foods. I'll leave it here but please don't think I was saying you're wrong; just needed to clarify it (at least) for me. Thank you.

Fadi.