• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

dehydration

gtrb26dett

Just curious if you are dehydrated how much water should you drink and how long does it take for your body to become hydrated?

Say if you drank litre of water at once would you become hydrated quicker?

1Litre at once and you will be bloated. I try for 200-300mls at once. I think that keeps me hydrated well enough.

I barely drink any water during the day...maybe 1.5L per day...

300ml with my morning dose of Cell-Mass, 300ml with my pre-workout NO Xplode, and 300ml with my post workout dose of Cell-Mass

BUT

I drink about 2 litres of skim milk a day, so I suppose that covers my hydration requirements, and also gives my 60g of slow release protein (I think they say that Milk is as good as "90% water")

Anybody here heard anything negative about milk as a hydration replacement?

Should I be drinking 3.5L of water ALONG with my 2L of milk? Or is 2L of Milk and 1.5L of water sufficient for my hydration needs / creatine effectiveness?

I barely drink any water during the day...maybe 1.5L per day...

300ml with my morning dose of Cell-Mass, 300ml with my pre-workout NO Xplode, and 300ml with my post workout dose of Cell-Mass

BUT

I drink about 2 litres of skim milk a day, so I suppose that covers my hydration requirements, and also gives my 60g of slow release protein (I think they say that Milk is as good as "90% water")

Anybody here heard anything negative about milk as a hydration replacement?

Should I be drinking 3.5L of water ALONG with my 2L of milk? Or is 2L of Milk and 1.5L of water sufficient for my hydration needs / creatine effectiveness?

Hi Litebulb,

I was just curious if you knew how much caffeine if any was is in your pre workout NO-Xplode dose? And are you aware of the effect it has on your muscles and recovery?

I think you'll find a fair bit of info on the subject of caffeine before/during and after a workout on the forum.

All the best mate.

Fadi.

You should drink when you're thirsty. And also if when you pee it's uncomfortably acidic.

Seriously, that's it. I was a soldier in some unpleasantly hot places, and there we had to really keep an eye on our hydration, and drink even when not thirsty, constant small amounts. But 35-45 degree heat and 90+% humidity while carrying a 35kg pack, 6kg webbing and 4kg of rifle and ammo, plus boots and stuff, and every second man a 20lt jerry can of water, this is not usual.

Much more common is someone just walking to work and then sitting down all day, and then maybe heading to the gym after work, sweating out 1-2lt of fluids when they work out, drinking 0.5-1lt water during the workout, then heading home for dinner where they end up putting 0.5lt of fluids into their body (food has water in it, too). Then they rest and sleep and the next morning have 0.5lt of coffee or juice or milk, and so on.

This thing of people walking around with water bottles all the time and constantly sipping them is really a bit nutty, and has little or no basis in real medicine or nutrition or anything like that.

Also, you should generally not put strange chemicals in your water. Just eat good food.

Drink when you're thirsty. It really is that simple for most of us.

I dont totally agree with your statement. The reason around 3-4 litres of water should be drank per day by people training and on high protein diets is because of uric acid build up from higher protein diets. This can cause gout and kidney stones if not flushed correctly.

You should drink when you're thirsty. And also if when you pee it's uncomfortably acidic.

Seriously, that's it. I was a soldier in some unpleasantly hot places, and there we had to really keep an eye on our hydration, and drink even when not thirsty, constant small amounts. But 35-45 degree heat and 90+% humidity while carrying a 35kg pack, 6kg webbing and 4kg of rifle and ammo, plus boots and stuff, and every second man a 20lt jerry can of water, this is not usual.

Much more common is someone just walking to work and then sitting down all day, and then maybe heading to the gym after work, sweating out 1-2lt of fluids when they work out, drinking 0.5-1lt water during the workout, then heading home for dinner where they end up putting 0.5lt of fluids into their body (food has water in it, too). Then they rest and sleep and the next morning have 0.5lt of coffee or juice or milk, and so on.

This thing of people walking around with water bottles all the time and constantly sipping them is really a bit nutty, and has little or no basis in real medicine or nutrition or anything like that.

Also, you should generally not put strange chemicals in your water. Just eat good food.

Drink when you're thirsty. It really is that simple for most of us.

I dont totally agree with your statement. The reason around 3-4 litres of water should be drank per day by people training and on high protein diets is because of uric acid build up from higher protein diets. This can cause gout and kidney stones if not flushed correctly.
I'm not sure what you call a "high protein diet". I have never advocated more than 1.2-2.0g protein per kg bodyweight daily, and that only for those intending to build muscle. For a typical 65kg woman or 80kg man, this is around 90-160g protein daily. For those intending to maintain muscle mass, 0.8-1.2g/kg is sufficient; 50-100g daily.

I know of no studies showing that this level of protein consumption leads to gout or kidney stones, or whether higher consumption of water offsets this. If you do, please direct us to these studies.

I cannot answer for people who choose to consume 250+g of protein daily, anymore than I can answer for people who drink a slab of beer a day.

All I can say is that if people have their protein consumption at the 1.2-2g/kg level while bulking, and the 0.8-1.2g/kg level while maintaining or cutting, and if they have lots of fresh fruit and vegies, nuts and beans, and some meat, fish and dairy, along with their starchy foods, well there's no need to be sculling back gallons of water daily.

In fact, gout and kidney stones are not commonly found in otherwise fit and healthy individuals. They're commonly associated with obesity, high blood pressure, adult onset diabetes, and a nutrient-poor diet. That is, people who eat heaps of meaty fast food and little or no fresh fruit and vegies, consume little fibre, and who are basically sedentary.

Gout and kidney stones really are the least of the problems of the obese, malnourished, unfit, weak and inflexible person.

In any case, a person's hunger and thirst adjust to their needs. If you lift heavy you will get hungrier. In the summer heat your appetite is lower, but your thirst is greater. And so on. So if your kidneys need more water, the thirst signal will kick in. You can choose to ignore that thirst - just as people ignore back pain, gasping for breath when running to the train, constipation from not eating enough fibre, and so on - but it will come.

The only time the thirst signal fails is in cases of hyperthermia. This is unlikely to occur in the lives of most people just doing their day-to-day jobs and working out a few times a week. And it's certainly not something that'll happen daily for years.

Drink when you're thirsty, and/or if your urination is acidic and painful. You can drink more than that and (short of drinking 10+lt daily) it won't do you any harm, but nor will it do you any good.

I am just stating that you dont know how much protein the original poster is taking. So instead of just informing from your own perspective and protein intake ways, have a think about what other people might be ingesting. I know the original poster was only asking about dehydration but daily water intake is also just an important topic

I also know of people who have had kidney stones from eating a healthly balanced diet and drinking plenty of water. I think there is also suspected genetics at play because his father had similar issues.Taking your calcium without a good source of magnesium, also can cause kidney stones. None of these 2 people had obese traits as you so say.

Plenty of studies around linking kidney stones and gout to excessive protein use. Google's your friend.

Enjoy your day I am.

In other words, you don't know.

That's okay.

I don't rely on google, through that you get all sorts of wacky stuff. I look at published scientific papers, which you can search for here or here.

Science is better than broscience.