• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Why did men stop wearing high heels?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
For generations they have signified femininity and glamour - but a pair of high heels was once an essential accessory for men.
Beautiful, provocative, sexy - high heels may be all these things and more, but even their most ardent fans wouldn't claim they were practical.
They're no good for hiking or driving. They get stuck in things. Women in heels are advised to stay off the grass - and also ice, cobbled streets and posh floors.
And high heels don't tend to be very comfortable. It is almost as though they just weren't designed for walking in.
Originally, they weren't.

"The high heel was worn for centuries throughout the near east as a form of riding footwear," says Elizabeth Semmelhack of the Bata Shoe Museum in Toronto.
Good horsemanship was essential to the fighting styles of Persia - the historical name for modern-day Iran.
"When the soldier stood up in his stirrups, the heel helped him to secure his stance so that he could shoot his bow and arrow more effectively," says Semmelhack.
At the end of the 16th Century, Persia's Shah Abbas I had the largest cavalry in the world. He was keen to forge links with rulers in Western Europe to help him defeat his great enemy, the Ottoman Empire.

BBC News - Why did men stop wearing high heels?

High heeled riding boots help stop you from getting hung up if you get thrown or a horse falls with you. If a foot goes through a stirrup you are a pretty good chance to wind up dead and still hanging from the saddle. I got dragged once when I was a kid but I didn't drag far because my foot didn't go right through the stirrup. I don't remember much but apparently I'd bounce in the air and the horse would kick out underneath me and then when his feet were down, I'd bounce again. I only went about 50 metres or so like that before I came loose and rolled up in a ball while the horse ran away. I would have had high heeled boots on for sure at that age. Now I ride with a low heel and try not to fall off.

I would say that it because men don't do stuff for fashion sake and being that we very rarely ride horses any more there is no need for them...

bajeruhe.jpg