• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Everything You Need To Know About Aftershave

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
Everything You Need To Know About Aftershave

Shaving and post shave activities are both very important. You can buy aftershave that has different smells and different feelings on your skin. Men will shave every week and each time they will also put on aftershave. Putting on aftershave will make you smell wonderful however it can be extremely painful if you happen to have cuts or other skin issues. You should choose an aftershave that suits your skin type and learn how to apply it properly since most people don't have a clue. It is not a good idea to spray aftershave on your face like you would a facial moisturizer.

Aftershave, no matter the brand, is meant to do the same thing. They help reduce chances of infection if you cut yourself and also give you a nice pleasant smell when used in proportion. Because they are mostly made up of alcohol and water, they act as the perfect cleanser if they are not loaded with other chemicals. Every brand has a different angle and chemical ratio, but the most expensive and the least expensive are all basically made up of the same things. Don't be fooled by some of the advertising and choose something that you can afford and feels right for your skin.

If you suffer from skin that is sensitive then you will need to look at the basics carefully. Aftershave with a lot of perfume is bad for sensitive skin. If you have dry skin then choose an aftershave the might contain more water and less alcohol. If you aren't sure, then you should find out what type of skin they are most appropriate for. People who shave on a regular basis will typically buy an aftershave that is cost effective, but they don't cost a lot so you can spend a bit extra for a brand that you really like.

If you put on aftershave right after you shave, you may find that it hurts a lot. Using cold water to rinse your face is the best idea. This will really help close your skin's pores that opened when you shaved and reduce the chance of burning pain when you put on the aftershave.

Applying aftershave in moderation will help leave you smelling great, longer. Alcohol is responsible for the burning feeling in aftershave, but many men consider this to be a good thing. People that can't stand the burn and pain from aftershave may want to avoid it all together or find an alternative solution that contains less or 0% alcohol.

I quite like the burn form after shave, it's cleansing, if you can't handle it may be you should be shaving your vagina:p

I love the classic aftershaves, Drakkar, Jazz, Eternity, cool water.
Chicks love the flowery fag smell, fruity, flowery, natural shit smells.

I'm not a big fan of shaving lotions, though I do have a bottle I use on special occasions. Frankly, I find them way overpriced and over rated. I've found much the same thing with shaving creams. For me, none of the shaving creams I tried seemed to work all that well at offering a smooth shave and not clogging between the razor blades. The last few years I've been using a couple of squirts of liquid hand wash soap and it has been brilliant, not to mention a shit load cheaper. I normally follow it up with a squirt of Sorbolene cream.

I'm not a big fan of shaving lotions, though I do have a bottle I use on special occasions. Frankly, I find them way overpriced and over rated. I've found much the same thing with shaving creams. For me, none of the shaving creams I tried seemed to work all that well at offering a smooth shave and not clogging between the razor blades. The last few years I've been using a couple of squirts of liquid hand wash soap and it has been brilliant, not to mention a shit load cheaper. I normally follow it up with a squirt of Sorbolene cream.

Just use the sorbolene to shave, been doing that for about 5 or 6 years, shaving cream does not come close.

HAHA, funny you say that. I've considered it a few times but never have. I'm due for a shave in a few days so will give it a try :)

and not clogging between the razor blades

Multi blade razors are terrible. Get yourself a double edged safety razor.

Blades cost in the order of 10c each, and it gives a much better shave than the multis.

Or you could get a cutthroat if you're game, I couldn't be bothered looking after it though. Plus I don't like the idea of waving a bare blade around my throat when I'm half asleep.

Ive been shaving with a cut throat for 3 years now, would NEVER go back to any other blade

Even better for those with sensitive skin that goes red and rashy after a shave, Its because your 4 blade razor is doing 4 passes over the skin each time.

One straight edge, One pass. No irritation.

rinse with cold water after and that that. No fancy shit needed

Ive got a proper cut throat with a leather strop and one with disposable blades

I prefer the $10 one with replaceable blades, 100 blades cost me $5.

What about if you have dark hair, even after shaving and going over the area multiple times there's like a 5pm shadow happening already lol, like Homer Simpson. I did use aftershave ages ago but stopped when I couldn't see the benefit of it. I haven't had any thrush on my cheeks yet so I guess just rinsing with cold water is fine!

I use proraso shaving foam with the brush, $20 for a tub, had it 12 months and its still over half full, single blade disposables are better/cheaper than all the multi blade fancy schmancy razors and then just some sensitive skins after shave moisturiser.