PDA

View Full Version : September Challenge

Shrek
29-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Please cast your vote for September Challenge.

Shrek
29-08-2012, 06:29 PM
If I missed any let me know ASAP.
Ta.

Oznut
29-08-2012, 06:41 PM
I voted pullups, unsure of the number as I can only do a couple.

Stewstews
29-08-2012, 06:46 PM
"Crunch Month"

Equipment needed: Just you!

7 exercises:

Floor Crunch (3 sets of 20)
Horizontal leg raise (3 sets of 15-20)
Hover/plank (till failure? Or 3 mins)
Air bike (3 sets of 15-20)
Floor toe reach (3 sets of 15)
Side plank (45 seconds)
Tripod hover/plank (3 mins)

Example reps/set listed in brackets.

You can do these alongside your current workouts, so it doesn't have to be daily, as long as you get them all in each week. Or do 1 a day and cycle through them weekly. I listed 7 specifically for this reason.

Add more reps/sets/variations as needed, as the month progresses.

Feel free to do extra as well, you might aim to do them all twice a week, depending on your current level.

Crunch Month has some flexibility and no need for "catching up" for missed days - just get your weekly load done however best suits you.

Shrek
29-08-2012, 06:47 PM
Poll will close Friday 31st August

At night sometime I will close it. :D

lex
29-08-2012, 07:23 PM
"Crunch Month"

Equipment needed: Just you!

7 exercises:

Floor Crunch (3 sets of 20)
Side plank (45 seconds)

Example reps/set listed in brackets.

You can do these alongside your current workouts, so it doesn't have to be daily, as long as you get them all in each week. Or do 1 a day and cycle through them weekly. I listed 7 specifically for this reason.

Add more reps/sets/variations as needed, as the month progresses.

Feel free to do extra as well, you might aim to do them all twice a week, depending on your current level.

Crunch Month has some flexibility and no need for "catching up" for missed days - just get your weekly load done however best suits you.

Is that enough crunches , leg raises and air bike in there though ?
unless thats just the warm up.
Will try this tomorrow morning.

Been doing crunches , leg raises , air bike and pushups morning and night.
Up to 150 on crunches and 4 sets of 25 on leg raises.
Air bike for two minutes.

lex
29-08-2012, 07:38 PM
The current world record for the plank is 1 hour 20 minutes and 5.01 seconds
Longest time in an abdominal plank position (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/records-8000/longest-time-in-an-abdominal-plank-position/)

here's one maybe a few people here could try for
Fastest 20 m carrying 300 kg on shoulders - Speed - Explore Records - Guinness World Records (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/speed/fastest-20-m-carrying-300-kg-on-shoulders)

Largest natural breasts - Size - Explore Records - Guinness World Records (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/size/largest-natural-breasts)

Stewstews
29-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Is that enough crunches , leg raises and air bike in there though ?
unless thats just the warm up.
Will try this tomorrow morning.

Been doing crunches , leg raises , air bike and pushups morning and night.
Up to 150 on crunches and 4 sets of 25 on leg raises.
Air bike for two minutes.

Not sure mate - as I mentioned though, if you're already quite strong in some of these, make them twice a week or even daily, and add extra sets and reps.

I haven't done much in the way of abs, that's the whole idea of posting it. If it's too easy I'll notice pretty quick and adjust my volume?

DKD
29-08-2012, 09:03 PM
I kinda lost touch with those other challenge threads. Is there an ultimate objective to this, or a winner or any sort of competition? Or is it just a daily group diary...just for fun??

CaT_SPeW
29-08-2012, 09:12 PM
planks

KungFooGoo
29-08-2012, 09:27 PM
50 rows for rv. I night just do cable rows though #vagina

wingman
29-08-2012, 09:28 PM
50 rows for rv. I night just do cable rows though #vagina

Have less vagina imo

canned tuna
29-08-2012, 10:21 PM
so is this a challenge where you have to do it every day? If so, will that be effective for hypertrophy or strength conditioning without sufficient rest period?

Darkoz
29-08-2012, 10:22 PM
so is this a challenge where you have to do it every day? If so, will that be effective for hypertrophy or strength conditioning without sufficient rest period?

Think about it

canned tuna
29-08-2012, 10:30 PM
I'm a stuperd..

walt
29-08-2012, 10:40 PM

Muscle protein synthesis increases rapidly 24 hours after resistance training, more than double at 24 hours. Then declines rapidly by the point at 36 hours it has almost returned to baseline. So not idea for hypertrophy no.

Stewstews
29-08-2012, 11:56 PM

The "Crunch Month" challenge need not be daily :)

bams_101
30-08-2012, 12:10 AM
Muscle protein synthesis increases rapidly 24 hours after resistance training, more than double at 24 hours. Then declines rapidly by the point at 36 hours it has almost returned to baseline. So not idea for hypertrophy no.

The type of restistance training that is completed will determine the rate of protein synthesis not just some blanketed timeframe. The rate of protein degradation is a function of the rate of protein catabolism and mechanical work performed. So if the the resistance is near maximal but fewer reps are done there is minimal protein degradation, the same is true for high reps and low weights (<30%1RM).

bams_101
30-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Pendlays or Pullups would be fun everyday, but it doesnt look like its going to edge out Crunch month haha

walt
30-08-2012, 12:30 AM
The type of restistance training that is completed will determine the rate of protein synthesis not just some blanketed timeframe. The rate of protein degradation is a function of the rate of protein catabolism and mechanical work performed. So if the the resistance is near maximal but fewer reps are done there is minimal protein degradation, the same is true for high reps and low weights (<30%1RM).

link study pls

canned tuna
30-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Ok. I'd be in for the ab challenge only because I wanna get swole and doing bw squats (close to my 1rm lolfail) will not help me accomplish this task

judgey
30-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Fortunately hurting your wrist won't mess up crunch month too much, unlike the august pushup challenge which I think I owe 28x50 pushups ie. 700 pushups today and tomorrow haha :<

lex
30-08-2012, 11:26 AM
Not sure mate - as I mentioned though, if you're already quite strong in some of these, make them twice a week or even daily, and add extra sets and reps.

I haven't done much in the way of abs, that's the whole idea of posting it. If it's too easy I'll notice pretty quick and adjust my volume?

Tried it last night.
Found the planking harder than it looks. Managed 1 minute on front plank and 30 seconds on the side ones.
Definitely a good challenge

Think this'll be what I do it as

Floor Crunch (3 sets of 30)
Left Side plank (45 seconds)
Right Side plank (45 seconds)

Stewstews
30-08-2012, 11:40 AM
Tried it last night.
Found the planking harder than it looks. Managed 1 minute on front plank and 30 seconds on the side ones.
Definitely a good challenge

Think this'll be what I do it as

Floor Crunch (3 sets of 30)
Left Side plank (45 seconds)
Right Side plank (45 seconds)

How about the volume - about right? And time - how long to complete? Going to do it daily?

I'm likely to start doing 3 or 4 of them each session, 3 times a week alongside my current workouts. Each should get done minimum twice a week that way - and I'm allowing for some recovery time.

lex
30-08-2012, 01:04 PM
with the planking volume was enough, if you already do it up the reps
do airbike as two or three minutes straight (or as two or three sets of two minutes) for more of a burn.

took around 10 minutes

will be doing daily morning and night with pushups instead of just the crunches ,situps and pushups .

kaz
30-08-2012, 01:14 PM
I have been doing abs everyday for ab-tastic august. No easy feat!

Stewstews
30-08-2012, 01:25 PM
I have been doing abs everyday for ab-tastic august. No easy feat!

Benefits though?

kaz
30-08-2012, 01:28 PM
I have a V forming unlike last year during dieting....?
I did a lot of leg raises and lower ab stuff....

lex
30-08-2012, 01:57 PM
my obliques are starting to show , still a lot of blubber on the belly.
down 10cm in august around the belly. down 12cm on the belt line since end of june.

NightFallTech
30-08-2012, 02:08 PM
Voted for crunches because i don't have a barbell or pullup bar at home and can't hit the gym 7 days a week.

jj80
30-08-2012, 02:13 PM
Daily pull ups sounds like a great way to tear a bicep...

lex
30-08-2012, 02:42 PM
Voted for crunches because i don't have a barbell or pullup bar at home and can't hit the gym 7 days a week.

same here .

Shrek
30-08-2012, 09:53 PM
Keep the votes coming. Poll closes tomorrow night.

chocchillimango
30-08-2012, 11:03 PM

I've been doing that during august and no bicep tears as yet... :)

bams_101
30-08-2012, 11:28 PM
link study pls

Reference- Zatsiorsky, Vladimir M., Kraemer, William J., "Chapter 4, Training Intensity", Science and Practice of Strength Training, 2nd Edition .

I couldn't find a study directly comparing the differences in degradation of external resistance however here are a couple showing different MPS timeframes to the ones you posted.*

Muscle Protein Synthesis Following Heavy Resistance Exercise Abstract
The Time Course for Elevated Muscle Protein Synthesis Following Heavy Resistance Exercise - Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology (http://www.nrcresearchpress.com/doi/abs/10.1139/h95-038)

http://edulife.com.br/dados%5CArtigos%5CNutricao%5CNutricao%20Esportiva% 20e%20Suplementacao%5CProtein%20Requirements%20and %20Supplementation.pdf

"Resistance exercise is followed by a period lasting as long as 48 h8 when rates of muscle protein synthesis are elevated above resting levels."

DREADLIFT
30-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Down for 50+ situps/leg raises a day.

Dont care for air bikes.

Shrek
01-09-2012, 06:49 AM
Crunch month it is.

Good luck people.

jzpowahz
01-09-2012, 09:39 PM

huh?

Good luck with crunch month peeps. Not doing this one. I only just started doing any specific core exercises recently and 3x a week is plenty for me.

bradsky
03-09-2012, 06:39 PM
hrmmn, am I missing something....

3-9

50 knee raise twists, oblique v-ups 2 sets 10 per side

judgey
04-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Surely you can't overtrain your abs..

dave
04-09-2012, 03:35 PM

I highly doubt it. More likely to induce wrist extensor overuse.

Bulk Nutrients
04-09-2012, 06:35 PM
We would love to support this, Aus bb.

How about we get a prize for the winner?
Can't have a competition without a prize can we? ;)

bradsky
04-09-2012, 06:44 PM
you talking about this challenge or the 120kg squat challenge :S

Bulk Nutrients
04-09-2012, 06:58 PM
you talking about this challenge or the 120kg squat challenge :S

Hi Bradsky, didn't realise there was more than one challenge for September.

If you could point us to all the current one's taking place, we will take a look at them all.

Thank you.

Shrek
05-09-2012, 04:11 PM
How's everyone going with this?
Where's the updates?

Sorry I couldn't partake.

lex
05-09-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm going okay with it.
Slowly increasing the time I can do the planking for.
Front plank I can do for the three minutes, side just make it to 45 seconds.
Probably doing to many crunches first.

Doing 3 sets of the challenge morning and night

bradsky
05-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Hi Bradsky, didn't realise there was more than one challenge for September.

If you could point us to all the current one's taking place, we will take a look at them all.

Thank you.

I think there's a squat challenge on another thread, this is more like a monthly personal challenge with no winner as such, but if I had to pick a winner it would be

me:D

Admin
07-09-2012, 10:44 AM
We would love to support this, Aus bb.

How about we get a prize for the winner?
Can't have a competition without a prize can we? ;)

it would be great to have Bulk Nutrients involved in anyway you see fit

Stewstews
09-09-2012, 10:56 PM
So update from me, one week and a bit in.

Am REALLY glad to doing a challenge that is NOT daily! And is something I can work in with my normal routine. Don't think I could do a daily challenge every month.

So far I been working predominantly planks in between sets 3x a week. My trainer went through some form tips to really hit the abs (and he'd sit there digging a finger into my mid regions to make sure everything was tight...).

Need to activate and squeeze your glutes and try to roll the front of your hips in/up as far as you can. Shoulders were right back and down, and the middle of the chest out. This makes your glutes to your shoulders as "flat" as can be on the back.

Foot/toes were in as far as they could be to take strain away from the legs. And the plank wasn't completely straight from top to bottom - it was completely level/parallel to the ground from hips to head, with the legs needing a little angle.

Most videos I've seen make you fully straight and the toes point straight down. I played around a bit and definitely felt it more with the changes I described above.

Also completed this on Saturday as well, and will try to do weekly: About cx30 (http://www.lesmills.com/cx30/about-cx30.aspx)
30 minutes of sideplanks, wood chops, assorted crunches, resistance band movements etc.

I have also sorts of sore bits around my abs and on top of my lower ribs even. Progress I guess!

Bulk Nutrients
11-09-2012, 12:50 AM
it would be great to have Bulk Nutrients involved in anyway you see fit

Is this the type of competition where there is a winner as such or simply a post of personal results?
If so, we would love to reward a winner?