• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Gym Direct Safety Squat Rack

March83

I recently bought a simple flat bench with the plan to use it with my squat rack to bench press from. Turns out that my existing squat rack is too narrow to bench from - either i hit my elbows or it's impossible to unrack the bar because it's too awkward.

So i was going to throw it on ebay and replace it with the gym direct safety squat rack: BSSREX Safety Squat Rack

does anyone have any experience with these units? The video on the website shows someone pressing from them, but i was wondering if anyone here had person experience.

TBH i don't like that style of half rack.

The safeties are only adjustable down to a point and they're so small that you'd have to be lucky to land on it should you fail

TBH i don't like that style of half rack.

The safeties are only adjustable down to a point and they're so small that you'd have to be lucky to land on it should you fail

Good point. There is nothing like failing a 1rm squat and just letting the barbell go and knowing that no matter where it lands, its safe, save a little longer and get a full power rack

Interesting. thanks for the link, light weight

full cage is preferred, but the problem is that it must go in the garage where the trusses are only about 2.1m above the ground and the spacing between them is only about 1.5m. there's enough room to get the cage in there, but it will only go in 1 particular spot. if for whatever reason it can't go in that particular spot then there's nowhere for it to go... that and the couple of hundred dollars more are a bit of a disincentive. enough to make me consider the alternatives.

hamburgler: i kind of agree. i currently have a squat rack which has safeties built into the frame and it's the same - i have no faith that i would hit that safety if i were to fail a rep squatting. benching is a whole other deal though and i think i'm more likely to fail reps benching...

Personally I would just get squat stands unless you're going to get a full cage.

Just trying to think of anything out there that's is "short" but has decent safeties . . .

You can ask Iron Edge to customise a matrix but that'll cost you a fair bit of $$$

The Assault rack (Iron Edge) would fit (can make it 165cm high) but again, I don't think the safeties are long enough for squats (would be fine for benching though).

*edit*
Their spotting arms come off the rack 63cm so they may be ok. Depends how far you walk out your squats lol

Last edited:
That's the one.

The Matrix cells are far too tall (241cm or something like that) and it'll cost you an arm and a leg to get it cut down by them.

The spotting arms are pretty strong (PTC Frankston has a double cell Matrix with those in it) so there shouldn't be any dramas dumping a little bit of weight on it.

Just depends on whether a) you want to pay that much for and it b) the spotting arm is going to be long enough to be of any use