• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Ab Wheel?

etastic

Hey Team,

e36440d0806394b1708393abbc705fc8.jpg

Ab Wheel. I'm serious. Let's rap.
The Abdominal Wheel - Iron Edge Fitness Equipment - Train Smarter

Is it a good complement to a training progress built predominantly around compound lifts (IE. Squat, Deadlift, Cleans)?

Or would this sort of program make any training benefits an Ab Wheel might offer completely superfluous?

Last edited:
I got given one for xmas....it's not bad, I leave it in the house rather than in my garage gym and I use it every now and then....not too often tbh. When i do ab work i prefer weighted crunches.

I got given one for xmas....it's not bad, I leave it in the house rather than in my garage gym and I use it every now and then....not too often tbh. When i do ab work i prefer weighted crunches.

Same here, I'll use it when I'm bored of the same ol'

If you want to do an ab exercise its one of the better ones. Better than crunches.

Personally I don't bother doing much if any direct ab stuff anymore.

Randy Couture says crunches > ab roller. That's good enough for me. Whatever Captain America says I follow.

I used to be able to extend fully to the ground and back on me feet rather than on the knees for reps, couldn't do it now.

Ah shit Bazza, I expected you to bite mate. You disappointed me.

Haven't got the door gym, but what's wrong with it? How many UFC belts you won?

Actually Randy never said any such shit. I just said that for humerus porpoises.

There are more efficient ways to build your abs, for example L-sits and front levers but it's good for variety I guess

Yep. they work pretty good, prefer doing planks and also use one of those big balls that you lay on and do crunches on that. I find my abs getting pretty sore from heavy squats and shoulder presses so i don't overly just do ab work, but yep they are pretty good.

Personally I wouldn't bother using one until you can lie on your back, and with your legs completely straight, raise them up to 90 degrees then back down again at least 10 times whilst maintaining a completely neutral spine. A lot of people will do this but their back will arch so it's using all hip flexor and no abs simply because their abs are not strong enough.

In the exrx example the chick does a good job of keeping a neutral spine (though at the very bottom you can see her stomach "flutter" a bit which suggests she's arched a bit more)
Lying Straight Leg Raise

Because I have weak abs I get to about 45 degree and my back begins to arch significantly

Personally I wouldn't bother using one until you can lie on your back, and with your legs completely straight, raise them up to 90 degrees then back down again at least 10 times whilst maintaining a completely neutral spine. A lot of people will do this but their back will arch so it's using all hip flexor and no abs simply because their abs are not strong enough.

In the exrx example the chick does a good job of keeping a neutral spine (though at the very bottom you can see her stomach "flutter" a bit which suggests she's arched a bit more)
Lying Straight Leg Raise

Because I have weak abs I get to about 45 degree and my back begins to arch significantly

Very good. I use these and planks for a shite load of my clients. Then swiss ball rollouts (hey swiss balls are good for something). Add them to side planks and glute bridging for newbs or Pallof presses, plate walks and weighted one or two leg bridges for the more advanced.

Yeah I've moved from rollouts to these for both myself and clients since I had a chat to both my physios and also your reply in my thread about lower back pain.
For me anyway, I feel my abs working significantly harder than the wheel as they're fighting to maintain the neutral pelvis/spine

Yeah I've moved from rollouts to these for both myself and clients since I had a chat to both my physios and also your reply in my thread about lower back pain.
For me anyway, I feel my abs working significantly harder than the wheel as they're fighting to maintain the neutral pelvis/spine

Proper rollouts should have a neutral spine too, just most people can not do it due to the difficulty levels and your abs shit themselves and your lower back takes over.