• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Whats up with Aussies and depression???

Ausyank

Let me start out first by saying that I am certainly not being judgemental.
Just an immigrant who wants to understand this more as I now have 2 step kids and a wife.

Im an American who has only been to this country for about 6 months. I listen to some public radio and theres an apparent epidemic of depression and other mental illnesses here. My stepson is 15 and talks about all his friends who are on medications and have been for a few years.

Ive always thought of this place as paradise.
Can someone shed a little light on this topic?

I cant seem to wrap my head around it as theres no place on the planet I would rather be.

Thanks for the input brothers.

Years ago we used to say "harden the fuck up" here have cup of concrete" and "she'll be right mate" , but over the years the public approach to mental illness has gotten a lot better where people are more open to talk about their problems

how ever what a lot of people get confused about is feeling "blue " and feeling depressed , their is a difference between the two which a lot of people don't realise , they put feeling blue as feeling depressed

We have had many great campaigns about depression that it is nothing to be ashamed of and many big names that have topped themselves over depression

many of the problems is that people turn to medicatin that magic little pill to solve the problem , when first they should do other measures to help with the symptons , diet might be one, another is cognitive behavioral therapy other is lifestyle change , medication should be last on the list

As said a LOT of people get feeling down confused with depression.. ive had a pretty rough 2 weeks and i put it down to just feeling a bit down and blue.. Others would say they have depression and so on.. In a lot of ways people still need to harden up and just learn to deal with problems they encounter.

ive always thought that anyone who truly has depression wont talk about it much and wont say they have it. if im talking to someone and i dont really know them and they tell me they have depression i dont believe a word of it, as ive known one person to tell peopel they had depression jsut to get sympathy treatment. that person is no longer my friend or a lot of others.

but back on topic, it is an issue, some is genuine other peopke just need to learn to help themselves as its sometiems the only way.

I think it is easier to get diagnosed with depression from your doctor than it is to get diagnosed with being anemic.

I think it is easier to get diagnosed with depression from your doctor than it is to get diagnosed with being anemic.

it definitely is.

America has a lot of depression issues to broseph. The amount of pharmaceutical commericals is amazing - "take this you'll feel like that" etc... We don't get those here. Xanax, prozac, other beta blockers are rife in america.

Depression is a first world issue. I think people have gotten everything they want, and they have a lot of time to self analyse. Nobody lives up to their own criticism so they feel depressed. Obviously that is a gross generalisation and over simplification, but I think its true for some.

When I was in my early 20's I was diagnosed with depression and my doc wanted to put me on meds. Anyways i went and had a talk to the old man, told him I was feeling depressed and the doc said I needed meds (wich made me feel even more down). I was working as a welder, doing 12hr shifts and had debt from a car accident and shit....anyway my old man looked at me....laughed.....smacked me up the side of the head, and said SON, we all feel like shit, work long hrs, have debt....so stop letting shit get to you, and harden the fuck up for your wife and kids! So, as my old boy never ever complained his whole life, I took his advice and didn't take any meds and pulled my own shit together...we laugh about it now, as I got over it a few weeks later, but the doc was quick to throw pills at me.

I don't like the use of drugs. A counsellor is the best solution. Get your shit on track, take control, make yourself happy and be less critical and demanding of yourself. The first world disease comment is spot on, we worry about shit because we do not have to struggle instead things are handed to us more. We also lack exercise and basic wholesome nutrition. The US is the same but I think we are beginning to talk about it publicly now and doctors are quick to jump on the drugs solve all bandwagon. Drugs may be helpful for anxiety disorders, bipolar etc but for us without the chemical issue and more the psychological issue drugs are much over used.