• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Donating Blood

Grippy

Fat Member
As many people have, I have donated in the past and will in the future, however i would like to know what effects donating blood has on the body. What effects does it have on strength, immune system and general health? Any positive or negative?

who cares*. You're saving someones life. Thats what counts. Good work mate.

*I've actually been told by a med grad that its awesome for you. Stimulates new blood and bone marrow developement which increases nutrient delivery. But I have never seen anything to back this up.

its supposed to have positive effects on the body, coz it forces the body to produce fresh blood, and fresh blood carries more oxygen or some shit like that. but yea iv heard its good for you.

You're always turning blood cells over and producing new ones.
In a survival / evolution sense, there's no benefit to letting go of something that keeps you alive.
But the effects are fairly short lived and include a decreased ability to transport oxygen around the body (so decreased cardiovascular performance and decreased recovery within muscle tissue), decreased blood volume - which can lead to a difficulty in maintaining blood pressure under extreme circumstances, like doing a high rep workout.
You'll mostly have negated the effects within 2 - 3 days, and completely within 7 - 10 days. I wouldn't run a marathon within a week of giving blood.

what he said ^

Was listening to the radio and they were talking about bone marrow donation. I knew and still know little about it but I think they were saying you get multiple injections of a chemical that causes your bodies bone marrow cells to run through your blood? Then they take your blood. Sounded pretty harsh on the body but I may have miss understood.

Thanks guys, Im not too fussed about it as its for a bloody good cause however its something I have wondered every time I have donated and nobody at the donation place ever seems to have an answer apart from telling me the iron levels take about 7 weeks or so to return to normal.