• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Possible career change. Firefighter

brendon

I have been considering a career change over the past couple of weeks. one that keeps coming into my head and thinking it might be a possible change is that of becoming a firefighter.. ive looked up the processes involved and all that and they dont take applications until around november.

does anyone here know anyone who has been through the process? i dont think id have much of an issue passing the physical tests in the selection process.
but its a thoguht at the moment and will consider it deeply over next couple months. id have to take a paycut but it will probably be worth it. as im so over sitting in an office area 5 days a week.

It's not easy to get in. It's a very popular job for many reasons and ultra competitive.

They usually have around 10,000 applications per intake for only a couple of hundred vacancies. They say the average person who does make it in has applied 3-4 times. They're tightening up nowadays too and have added the HSC as a pre-requisite.

Once people get in they tend to stay in for life. My uncle's been in for 25 years and my brother for 12.

This is for NSWFB anyway - not sure about other states.

yeah in act.. still i would think it would be very competitive.. my current job experience would probably help i reckon... but still i would expect much competition.

If you want action join the police. How many housefires are there? You would do alot of sitting around and doing drills, inspections, school talks, waiting for a fire.

there is alot more too it than just a physical... Im trying to get into the ambulance at the moment, last time around i went and did the aptitude testing.. That took 5 hours of testing, plus time between them, and this stuff isnt easy or basic... im not too sure if it is the same for a firey, but im sure it would be similar..

i know there a lot more to it than the physical. i think id enjoy it..acutally do something where you would see results or teach ppl importance fire safety and safety in general. then when disasters hit id be able to do something and help not just give money.

dont let me try and put you off what you want to do.. those guys have balls doing what they do. and in the down time, when there are no fires or anything, they just hit they weights...

One of my mates was a firey now moved onto the army - he said he loved it - said sometimes they wouldnt really do much but the work was always physical and active.

Now thinking about it I think being a firey would suit you mate and I would def have a crack at it - at the end of the day if you dont try you'll never know.

im a retained firefighter (NOT volunteer) with NSW Fire and Rescue, which means im on call 24-7 and i am paid for callouts, drills, training, all associated duties.

It is great fun, and very rewarding, but like the guys have already said it is VERY hard to get into the permos (in NSW anyway). i applied a few years ago. They tested 5500 and 500 went onto the waiting list and i was in the top third of that 500, but at the interview i was deemed to "not have a good enough knowledge on the fire brigades" despite having been retained for a year prior. I nailed the physical and aptitude test but if you slip up anyway they just discard you and go to the next person. When i enquired about where i went wrong they said "we STRONGLY recommend you apply again next recruitment campaign"

some of the guys who done the physical when i did were on theyre 5th attempt.....

But being retained i am doin the same job except i sit at home waiting for a call instead of at the station, and like i said its very rewarding, especially when you work with the public on open days and at school visits the kids treat you like a rockstar.

If you think its the job for you have a crack mate, you'd probably love it. be prepared to be knocked back a few times and if you do get in youll end up seeing some gory shit but all in all i think its one of the best jobs going around.

Best of luck mate

if you manage to score the job will you need to relocate to an area they choose or is it possible to stay close to home? ive often thought about a job as a firey

Do u have to be on standby 24/7 or is it rostered as it might impede on social/family if your that way inclined

for a retained fire fighter its on call. so u cna work your other job and go out when a callout is given.. here in ACT permanent fireys work a 10/14 roster. 2 10hr days then 2 14hr nights.
ill give it a crack anyway.. for ACT fireys hopefully there not as many applicants. but then again there wouldnt be many positions.

Ive always wanted one or more part time jobs to mix stuff up or even just one full time one and a few hobbies that could earn some extra cash and keep me interested in work :)

real tough to get in.

took my mate 6 years, applying every year,
first year failed the psyc questioning,
second year failed the physical
next 3 years passed both but then they only have a few spots so didn't get selected.

finally got selected 2 years ago,
loves it, and is in the charity calendar :p

i fund this on "retained firefighters"

Description Fortnightly retainer
payment ($)

Hourly rate 1st hour($)
Retained Firefighter (1st year)

Retained Firefighter (2nd year)
Retained Firefighter (maximum rate)
Deputy Captain (1st year)
Deputy Captain (maximum rate)
Captain (1st year)