• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training Times

P

Plows92

I'm just after some advice on training times. Is it better to train in the morning or evening or is it just personal preference? I find working out in the evening more better for myself but find it hard to keep it consistent with work. I try and train 3-4 nights a week. But with some weeks I'm lucky to get 1 workout. Would it affect growth working out in the morning some days and evenings on other days? or is consistency the key?
Advice

Consistency.

You try and workout when you least like it then you are more likely to pack it in sooner than later. Why not attempt 3 times a week instead and if you get a 4th in it's a bonus.

With my own work and doing Dad stuff when I get home I found it hard to maintain a typical Mon-Wed-Fri routine so Saturday is my new Monday and I'm done by Wednesday.

All personal preference and has to be one that suits you and keeps you coming back.

As above, consistency...

I used to absolutely loathe training heavy in the morning. Just couldn't do it.

Wasn't until I forced myself to take it up due to work, timing and other commitments in the evenings, that after a while I noticed little difference between the two.

Sure, if I train on a sat. or sun. morning after a good sleep in, I feel a little more pumped and aware, but once you're in the zone, you're in the zone... nothing should effect your focus.

I'm a member of a 24hr gym so there's no hassle in getting my 5am start.

Might be a bit harder if your job is a physical one, but I see some tradies etc.. there in the morning and they seem to be just fine.

Like anything, it would just take time to adjust, but worth a shot if your evenings are too hectic.

Edit : As an upshot, generally speaking the mornings are quiet as so you have free reign on all the gear. No having to work around or in with anyone else.

^ imo if your job is physical you're better off training BEFORE work anyway.
if you've got a physical job and work for 8 hours THEN go to the gym you're going to be fatigued already.
train in the morning, work, then put the feet up on the couch when you get home and start scoffing your face with food

For as long as I can remember
I work out in the evening (pm) throughout the week.

My workout on Saturday is morning or am ( between 8am~10am )and as much as I love doing this, I'm rooted by 3ish, basically "hit the wall"
But I feel fantastic up until then.

I usually train in the morning before work.. Pretty much always have. I hate having to wait for other people to finish or work in with others so prefer going when it's quieter.

Having said that though I am now starting to get a bit of gear at home so training at night while the kids are asleep too some nights and finding that I am able to "get into it" quicker than my morning sessions, which are very heavily influenced by quality of sleep the night before...

^ imo if your job is physical you're better off training BEFORE work anyway.
if you've got a physical job and work for 8 hours THEN go to the gym you're going to be fatigued already.
train in the morning, work, then put the feet up on the couch when you get home and start scoffing your face with food

Having worked in a concrete factory, done paving and then as an electrician for me (imo) it worked out better in the reverse for sure.

But then again, at that time I was dead set against training in the mornings.

When it came time to hit the gym it didn't take much for that focus and drive to come into play.

Goes to show a lot of it is a mind-set.

I have a 4yo boy who is my shadow.............whats a nanna nap?

All about strategy my good man. I have 5 and 3 yo daughters. To ensure I get my nap I setup a barbie movie which engrosses them for an hour and allows me to crash with them sitting next to me haha.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

All about strategy my good man. I have 5 and 3 yo daughters. To ensure I get my nap I setup a barbie movie which engrosses them for an hour and allows me to crash with them sitting next to me haha.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

hahaha, so true, Pixar movies are the key to some R&R....

I'm just after some advice on training times. Is it better to train in the morning or evening or is it just personal preference? I find working out in the evening more better for myself but find it hard to keep it consistent with work. I try and train 3-4 nights a week. But with some weeks I'm lucky to get 1 workout. Would it affect growth working out in the morning some days and evenings on other days? or is consistency the key?
Advice

Several studies found that short-term maximal performance (sprinting, maximal muscle contractions, jumping, etc) peaks in the late afternoon betwen 16:00 and 20:00 hours. The variation in performance has ranged between 3% and 21%.

http://ausbb.com/bodybuilding-training-discussions/21543-what-best-time-day-workout.html

i have found the time of day doesnt really matter much for me. its all about being 100% focused on it, i can never guarantee that i will be switched on after work, so before works well.

and its also about time restraints, it really sucks if you have to try and fit your workout into a time frame. so to fit it in the morning ive gotta get going pretty early. but thats where working out in the afternoon/evening becomes advantageous.

Im running low carbs so too drained at night to train. Morning training is winning for me. Wake up refreshed, train then hit a slump at work. I can live being fatigued at work, I do as much or as little as I want.