• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Training through minor injuries/niggles

D1cko

Extra Large Member
What are people's thoughts on training through slight niggles?

For about 3 weeks I have had a left shoulder/outer upper arm pain every now and then...I felt it 'twinge' just re-racking the empty bar of all things after Military Press...It doesn't stop me doing anything though.
It just pops up every now and then during day to day stuff, and it's most painful if I reach across to touch my right lat or tricep with my left hand.

What do I do? I'd be pissed if I had to have a rest for something that doesn't actually hurt during training....

I train through little niggles. If I didn't train any time I had a little niggle I would hardly train. You just have to use your own judgement to determine if it's just a little niggle or something more serious.

If it doesn't hurt while training I would definitely keep training.

Fuck dude I am a walking cripple many years of manual labour and physical sports pursuits have left me fucked. The sensible advice is rest, ice, massage blah blah. If we stopped training every time we had a niggling injury we'd never lift. Fuck it keep plugging away your body has a good way of letting you know when not to train, you can't cause your in agony.

I guess you probably shouldn't listen to me cause I'm a wreck but I'd still rather that then be your standard middle age fat fuck looking at a coronary and getting around in 'big' mens clothes.

Yeah I hear ya's...that's why I'm still training 3 weeks after it happened....but with all the shoulder hysteria I wasn't real sure...

I've been having a similar niggle at a lat-humerus tie-in. Never hurt enough to do anything about it, never stopped me training though.

It didn't go away, and I sat back and looked at my pattern of niggling-injuries-going-bad over the last 6 months and thought "bugger this, I know where it's going to end". So I went to the physio, even though I felt like a wuss, going to a doc when I wasn't a cripple.

He gave me a new stretch variant which feels like it's doing some good. And I found a substitute exercise for the one that caused it to flare up (in my case switched from wide grip to narrow grip pullups).

Me I'm 42 and niggling injuries just don't go away by themselves so well any more. So I'm all for getting professional help. Plus, I like the idea of doing this into my 70's and beyond, and the one thing that's gonna stop that is injury.

A couple of times I have had a niggle in the lower back, really tight / bit sore even after light warmup squats. I figured both times give it a rest and skipped a couple of sessions, always came good after that.

So I guess my approach has been to give it a short term rest.

i have niggles at the moment with tendonitis in my right wrist and forearm (too many pushups in a pushup challenge...go figure :mad:)

just laying off the things that aggravate it and doing stuff that helps heal it.
Still training and the impact is small.

Ditto for shoulder problems up until recently. Just incorporated a lot of assistance exercises to help strengthen the supporting muscles and fix the problem.

I've found that my physio and my trainer (an exercise scientist as well) have been really helpful in helping me to focus on the right things to do when injured. If I had been on my own, I would have found it harder to figure out exactly what I should be doing, potentially making matters worse.

If you do right by your injury, you can still keep training well throughout, with adjustments.

I've actually come back from injuries better than before because I've focussed on the root cause of the injury and addressing those issues too. Helps prevent it happening again and has made me stronger.

just my experience.

Pain in the panquist!

I'm a walking wreck & that's normal for me. I have hypermobile joints which creates many problems. I too have tendonitis issues with my hands both sides. A permanent tendon problem in my left shoulder, which leads to occasional posterior dislocation. (I've promised the local ED I will let them put iftar in for training, I have always reduced these myself), was born with ligament/tendons way out of place in the shoulder, that's why I can pop it out.
At the moment my hammies & upper leg muscles are overly tight causing knee inflammation, go figure.
Then my right ankle is a disaster & considering a reconstruction on it but not 100% sure.
Latest pain spot is inside left Achilles. Think that is a reaction from acupuncture.

Geez I am so missing my anti inflammatories. All I can use for now is heat & tens.

Given ive spent many a session with physio, im not really getting any soreness this time round. Perhaps foam rolling before and after prevents this, its the only real difference.

Pain in the panquist!

I'm a walking wreck & that's normal for me. I have hypermobile joints which creates many problems. I too have tendonitis issues with my hands both sides. A permanent tendon problem in my left shoulder, which leads to occasional posterior dislocation. (I've promised the local ED I will let them put iftar in for training, I have always reduced these myself), was born with ligament/tendons way out of place in the shoulder, that's why I can pop it out.
At the moment my hammies & upper leg muscles are overly tight causing knee inflammation, go figure.
Then my right ankle is a disaster & considering a reconstruction on it but not 100% sure.
Latest pain spot is inside left Achilles. Think that is a reaction from acupuncture.

Geez I am so missing my anti inflammatories. All I can use for now is heat & tens.

OMG woman, I feel like we should just get you a stretcher and have you lie down for a bit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No don't!!! I might sleep lol.

You get used to it. Being unfit hurts more I think, as things get loosey goosier. It's hard to tell what is unlucky injuries. Or from the years I spent younger getting smashed by horses & wild cattle. Catching clean skins was how I used to make pocket money, lol that's a definite hard way to do it. Fun though.

Can't wait for my foam & rumble roller to get here.

I tore my rec. fem last year.

Nothing to major, I kept training.

Only downside is it still hurts 12 months on as I havent rehabbed it properly.

No don't!!! I might sleep lol.

You get used to it. Being unfit hurts more I think, as things get loosey goosier. It's hard to tell what is unlucky injuries. Or from the years I spent younger getting smashed by horses & wild cattle. Catching clean skins was how I used to make pocket money, lol that's a definite hard way to do it. Fun though.

Can't wait for my foam & rumble roller to get here.

hmm yeah, you know it gets serious when you want some alone time with the rumble roller!!! :eek:

*shuffles off to do exactly that*

Ah TENS machine, giving it a nudge. Seeing if that helps a multitude of soreness.

Last edited:
hello. my name is mr niggles. i don't giggle when i get the niggles.

i have many niggles. you might say i'm riddled with niggles.

some have made me have to stop certain exercises and stop training certain body parts. i am doing my best to get these niggles sorted via myotherapy

knees. they a nigglin'
left bicep...damn straight thats a nigglin'
lower back. yep. thats also a nigglin'
left glute...oh you better believe thats a nigglin'

but i keep gettin' biggles despite all them these there niggles.

:)

hello. my name is mr niggles. i don't giggle when i get the niggles.

i have many niggles. you might say i'm riddled with niggles.

some have made me have to stop certain exercises and stop training certain body parts. i am doing my best to get these niggles sorted via myotherapy

knees. they a nigglin'
left bicep...damn straight thats a nigglin'
lower back. yep. thats also a nigglin'
left glute...oh you better believe thats a nigglin'

but i keep gettin' biggles despite all them these there niggles.

:)

lolol best post. Repped! I hope all you people with niggles feel better soon. :)

Cheers Bella.

Feeling better after TEN's last night. Try to find time for the heat packs today (yeah right ;) )

Need another session with my friend when he comes back up here. Get everything sitting right again.

Depends, usually I just train through them. Recently I had to back off though, because those niggles can turn into serious injuries if they're pushed. I have some serious tightness in my left pec (near the insertion point) which can't be stretched out. Getting a little better, but instead of backing off a little I pushed even harder over the last few weeks and it hasn't helped it.

Generally I push through small niggles though. But if they can turn into something chronic, its best to check your ego at the door and take the appropriate course of action. After being an idiot in my early 20s and overreaching, I had a few shoulder incidents including surgery. 3 weeks of light training and rehab is always better than 6 months off completely. Live & learn.

After being an idiot in my early 20s and overreaching...

i was the same. probably most of us were at some point. i did some pretty f-cking extreme sickening brutality workouts in my early 20's and somehow i think thats come back to haunt me a little bit.

no way can i train like that now. everything has to be sensible, have purpose and well structured.

was talking with a friend today who i used to train with years ago and he said how having some niggles can help keep the ego in check.

wrecking my back last year has made me take a lot more care in life and in the gym so i won't be doing any more crazy shit.

louis simmons said in one of his videos something like "if you're going to get injured just make sure its not from doing something stupid"

I have a messed up shoulder from footy
Sprained piriformis
Sprained rectus femoris

I find it's really easy to train around it all effectively, if I warm up well then it only really hurts the next day which is why I've cut down to 3 days a week (6 sessions a week) recently then doing light sessions the rest of the time