• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Topic of the Week - How Much Protein Should A Bodybuilder Consume?

Admin

Administrator. Graeme
Staff member
How Much Protein Should A Bodybuilder Consume?

Protein is one of the most essential ingredients for a building muscle. But depending on who you ask the recommended protein intake can vary

How much protein should a bodybuilder consume daily?

How much protein should a bodybuilder consume in one sitting?

What is the best balance of getting protein from food and supplements?

How much protein do you consume? Does your intake ever change, or do you keep it consistent throughout the year?

I go by the age old 1.5g per lb
No limit to the amount in one sitting, plenty of research to suggest you can only absorb x amount is wrong.
Prefer to get it from real foods, but need to supplement with shakes when stuck at a desk.

I eat 4 meals a day and would get around 60g or so at each sitting. All through natural sources. I previously ate 6 meals with 40g each sitting and post workout shake, iv'e noticed no difference other than it's easier to drop weight eating less frequent meals.

I'll stick with the recommendation of 1-1.5g/lb bodyweight/day, spread over as few or as many servings as fits.

Protein should come from food first, supplements second. They are supplements after all. No further recommendation on that front.

I don't really know how much protein I'm consuming at the moment. I've been very unattentive to my diet for the last 3-4 weeks. But I'll typically have ~2-3 servings of meat/day and about 1-2L milk/day, which would average out to about 90-155g protein per day, plus any eggs I might consume and any plant protein, which isn't a lot of protein in total.

1g/lb of BW minimum for me.

No limit to amount per meal.

Prefer to get it from whole food sources but I use powders to reach my targets also.

I'm pretty consistent. Haven't had any really low days. Couple of days under my target but from what I've read from Max Brenner re the digestion of protein having a accumulative affect if you are going over your minimum required each day then I doubt it matters.

its crazy how what so called experts recommend is never used in practice..e.g. many say about 1.2 - 1.8g per Kg...and iv yet to meet a successful person that does that...some how fat bald guys in lab coats still insist they are right...unless anybody knows of better research??? although in saying that i think a lot of people eat more protein then they need to...i personally try to hit about 2g per kg. There are both pro's and con's for eating more than that however

Thing is to my knowledge no specific studies have been done on nitrogen retention/protein intake and anabolic steroid usage... Let alone compounds stacked together...

Though there has been a bit of research regarding dietary needs.

Beyond the Zone: Protein Needs of Active Individuals

If you like reading...

From what it seems 2g/kg is sufficient the excess calories would better come from carbohydrates due to their protein sparing ability. That and the ability to basically fuel better workouts...

its crazy how what so called experts recommend is never used in practice..e.g. many say about 1.2 - 1.8g per Kg...and iv yet to meet a successful person that does that...some how fat bald guys in lab coats still insist they are right...unless anybody knows of better research??? although in saying that i think a lot of people eat more protein then they need to...i personally try to hit about 2g per kg. There are both pro's and con's for eating more than that however

im sure majority of lifter will taget to get 1.5G per body weight

i try get in about 220 a day, so over 2g.

Why does everyone quote lbs? Wrong country...

Anyway, I stopped trying to take in extra protien. No more shakes, kinda over milk. Maybe not much more then recommenced for non exercising people. And still see ok results. Eating WAY more vegetables too. That;'the key to the whole deal. Never felt better.

Of course the supplement company's would have you believe you need to top up every meal with some powder and have 4 shakes a day to grow.

But everyone knows that bodybuilders are the biggest suckers on earth along with golfers. You know? Every golf ball goes straighter and further then every other brand.

Of course it does...

Strange... I have always been advised that you should aim for 4g of protein per 1kg of bodyweight? I am currently 83kgs so i should aim for ~ 320g of protein per day. Also ensure that you consume 30g of protein as a minimum per sitting (6 meals a day) every 2.5-3hrs. Admittedly, i'm getting closer to 280g of protein per day (100-120g is made up of low fat protein shakes) because i am cutting. As far as can be seen, looking in the mirror, it is working. I haven't lost too muscle and for that matter, strength...