• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

This and that

There is some discussion (if one could it that) in ONIs log.

Is a low bar squat the same exercise to a high bar squat?

I have another question for you.

Is a good morning the same exercise as the SLDL.

Are these the same exercises or a they variations?

in terms of the squat, and talk in ONI's log, a variation, the change in bar position changes your angles generally allowing you to move more weight (low bar)

another one
benching with an arch, or benching flat?
different or a variation?

edit; in general they are the same lifts, squat and bench. but they have differences, changes in angles, ROMs, different muscles are incorporated etc.

Last edited:
Same same but different?

Really it comes down to how technical/picky you want to be with classing lifts. I know guys whose regular deadlift is essentially a Romanian deadlift due to levers etc. do I not count their deadlift because it wasnt performed how one would see it in a powerlifting coaches manual? What about grip variations on bench press? A buffalo bar vs straight bar on squats. Eleiko power vs Texas deadlift bar

Same same but different?

Really it comes down to how technical/picky you want to be with classing lifts. I know guys whose regular deadlift is essentially a Romanian deadlift due to levers etc. do I not count their deadlift because it wasnt performed how one would see it in a powerlifting coaches manual? What about grip variations on bench press? A buffalo bar vs straight bar on squats. Eleiko power vs Texas deadlift bar
mono lift or walk out?
conventional or sumo?
left hand, right hand?
both?:eek: :D

its all the same shit, but with differences

Same same but different?

This, same but different. Both essentially a squat just a slight variation. Bar can vary from high bar to super low and everywhere in between. Same with stance width.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.
High bar, low bar, it's still a squat
Flat bench, decline bench, incline bench, it's all still a bench press.

This, same but different. Both essentially a squat just a slight variation. Bar can vary from high bar to super low and everywhere in between. Same with stance width.

would this still apply if comparing between high bar squat or low dumb bell squat?

What I was saying is that they are just variations of the same exercise
This started when someone herped over calling a 105kg olympic squat a PR even though I had recently squatted around 115kg with a low bar placement, wide stance and cutting depth to parallel. It is still a PR in my eyes, you can squat way more if you take 6" of RoM off the lift and decrease your lever lengths. I recently hit a PR on close grip bench after moving my grip in, I would call it a close grip PR and a bench press PR as it is the most I have ever lifted on the bench, but if I moved my grip out and benched 5kg more I would not call it a close grip PR but it is a bench press PR; then if I moved grip back in and benched 2.5kg more it is still a PR..