• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Supplements vs hard work

The Hamburgler

Spotter Loader
Now I'm not sure if it's just me who has noticed, or that I just haven't been around long enough (AndyMitchell seems to think it's been going on for years) but there seems to have been an influx of questions/threads relating to where to get x supplement, or what I should be taking etc etc.

Whatever happened to real food and real weights?

I'm sure the guys in the 40s didn't have access to 2,000,000 brands of protein powder each offering a perfect blend of amino acids, carbohydrates as well as their own "super secret super ingredient". Or 6,000,000 different ways to consume vitamin C or iron. Why spend a fortune on something that probably doesn't do anything when you can literally grow everything you need in your backyard (if you have one, otherwise, they have fruit/veg markets and butchers for a reason)?
All the supplements in the world won't account for half-arsed workouts, a lazy diet and poor sleep patterns. I can attest for this as I was once a bro-curler/Men's fitness fag that jumped on every supplement I could (personally I blame UFC fighter Sean Sherk but that's a different matter) and wasted enough money that I could have bought a nice Australian Barbell Co powerlifting bar (which would have made me cry if I had to sell that).

Anyway, stick to your squats and presses, your 5 reps, meat potatoe and veg and you can't go wrong!

If you're having trouble with your dietary needs I urge you to read this FAQ:
Food FAQ

Happy lifting people!
Now excuse me while I go make bacon and eggs

Spot on. The only supplements that are going to make a noticeable difference are the illegal variety. The rest are pretty much a waste of time.

I click on Supplements sub-forum, click 'Mark Forums Read', then I don't have my new posts thingy cluttered with that stuff. Same with that new Steroids forum.

i guess this is why a lot of my mates max lift is a 60-70kg bench, and nothing for squat/deadlift. heres a little rundown of a weekly interaction with the worst offenders.

• absorption speed of different proteins
  • mass gainer powders as they need the extra carbs
  • lean protein powders
  • not eating too many carbs
  • citric acid for cutting
  • jack3D (or other prework supps)
  • test booster
  • best type of creatine
and thats just what they go on about for supps :confused:

Some supplements do work and some supplements will help you get results...yes some supplements are bullshit but to say you dont need any supplements or that all supplements are bullshit is abit much.

Its not the supplements as such its the marketing behind the supplements thats the problem - ppl who dont know any better see the marketing and expect so much from them and dont focus enough on training and diet.

If your training and diet are good then supplementing with the right supplements can have a great impact on the results you get.

I agree with your post but I also think that maybe you dont have a great understanding of diff supplements and maybe come into the mold of drink milk, do squats and you'll get results - yea thats true but it will only take you so far.

Again this is the bodybuilding section and for someone to stick with squats and presses for 5 reps they prob wont become a very good bodybuilder in the long run.

All is needed is a barbell and some plates.

It's a miracle tool to build muscle and strength, nothing else is needed.

If I sell you a barbell and some plates and show you how to use them PROPERLY I'll never see you again, only maybe to buy extra plates as you become stronger.

If I keep doing this I'll not make too much money and go out of business.

If I'm smart, I'll make a supplement call it a miracle muscle gaining powder and tell you to come back each month and buy it from me.

How do you believe me? I've contacted a couple of professional bodybuilders, sprtspeople and such and paid them to endorse my products, I've produced a magazine with ads showing these people using them, I've also contacted my competitors and asked if they'd like to also advertise in my monthly magazine.

How do I make this magazine sell, I'll introduce a system called "bombing and blitzing" where one needs to split the routine up and do different body parts and have different routines every month.

Now I'm rackin it in, I'm called Joe

All is needed is a barbell and some plates.

It's a miracle tool to build muscle and strength, nothing else is needed.

If I sell you a barbell and some plates and show you how to use them PROPERLY I'll never see you again, only maybe to buy extra plates as you become stronger.

If I keep doing this I'll not make too much money and go out of business.

If I'm smart, I'll make a supplement call it a miracle muscle gaining powder and tell you to come back each month and buy it from me.

How do you believe me? I've contacted a couple of professional bodybuilders, sprtspeople and such and paid them to endorse my products, I've produced a magazine with ads showing these people using them, I've also contacted my competitors and asked if they'd like to also advertise in my monthly magazine.

How do I make this magazine sell, I'll introduce a system called "bombing and blitzing" where one needs to split the routine up and do different body parts and have different routines every month.

Now I'm rackin it in, I'm called Joe

As I said its the marketing behind the products that is wrong...not the products themself.

ALOT of products work, yes some dont...its the marketing that builds the product up to more than it is.

To be a good bodybuilder you need more than a barbell and some plates....plz if ppl can not open their minds up to seprate bodybuilding and strength training then dont post in this section...its soooo frustrating....i know diff ppl have gone from this forum but its like some of you are brain washed.

BRB drinking 15,000L of milk today and doing squats and mil press 3 days a week.

Lift heavy weights and eat real food IMO.

SO MANY TIMES I have had clients cancel sessions because they spent the weeks coaching money on some fancy powder. I would rather pay a coach any day of the week over some magic powder.

Lift heavy weights and eat real food IMO.

SO MANY TIMES I have had clients cancel sessions because they spent the weeks coaching money on some fancy powder. I would rather pay a coach any day of the week over some magic powder.

Eat correctly and supplement correctly.

If your their coach you should be telling them this.

My experience with bodybuilding routines. Didn't get much increase in size or strength. Started taking different suppliements in the hope that was the missing link. Still disappointing results. Many freinds has the same results.

Changed to strength routines (5x5) dropped suppliements. Strength went up size went up. Now I do mostly in the 1-3 rep range. Strength going up even quicker and still getting bigger.

But I thought creatine helped draw water into the muscles so they contract harder thus maker you stronger.

Was I incorrect in my assupmtion???

My experience with bodybuilding routines. Didn't get much increase in size or strength. Started taking different suppliements in the hope that was the missing link. Still disappointing results. Many freinds has the same results.

Changed to strength routines (5x5) dropped suppliements. Strength went up size went up. Now I do mostly in the 1-3 rep range. Strength going up even quicker and still getting bigger.

Alot of ppl dont have the intensity to get the most out of bodybuilding programs as they can - I feel it takes alot more mentally to follow a bodybuilding rountine than it does a strength based plan.

Theres a s*hit load of hype about supplements and they are targeted at people with no idea. They can be useful though and can "supplement" a good diet and training program.

It really depends on the supplements youre taking. If youre taking some of the latest ones hard work might just be a close second!

They can be useful though and can "supplement" a good diet and training program.

Supplements - not replacements

how do people get this so confused? They are their to aid you not to replace the hard work and discipline you need to life a bodybuilding lifestyle

I'm all about my clients squatting, pressing, deadlifting - Fantastic! But if you want to go spend some cash on some powder then spend to your hearts content, but we will still be squatting, pressing and deadlifting.

Supplements are a supplement for food, not squatting, deadlifting etc.

People don't / shouldn't take supplements in lieu of lifting.

"Instead of squatting today I'll just take NoXplode and not lift" LOL

Yeah that was the point I was trying to make, they are supplements not replacements. It's just too many people talk about how they are using this and that, then they try to tell you what your doing is wrong... Yeah dude, ok.

The only things I use is WPC to 'supplement' my diet with the extra protein I need ontop of my food sources of protein and Creatine which I wouldn't go saying thats anything to get excited over and if I stopped creatine supplementarion it wouldnt bother me (got over a kg might aswell make use of it). Apart from that a pre workout that I take when I feel like shit and thats it.

Like they say, if it's legal its probably not worth it. Supplements not replacements.