• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Straps, wraps, and you.

I have no problem with that for anyone who wants to train their grip. As a bodybuilder, there are other things I'd like to train besides my grip's strength, especially when I won't be asked about it, nor would it contribute to building muscle size...

It's about being practical here vs. lifting monstrous weights (which is not the ultimate goal of a bodybuilder).

Fadi.

i was referring to tray_182002's comment above mine where he wants to improve his grip but still chooses to use straps to deadlift.

I'll just go through quickly what I think of each "aid"

1. Belts - I use belts alot and most of my lifters will use belts - great tool for supporting the core and also adding kg's to ur lift....saying that I dont get beginners straight into a belt seeing as though I think you need to train without one when your starting off to help strengthen core/lower back.

2. Straps - as a bodybuilder I think this is a great aid to help focus on the muscle being worked - i.e back - alot of the time your grip will fail before your back does - even ronnie coleman uses straps. As a powerlifter I think you should stay away as much as possible.

3. Lifting shoes - never used them - never really been around guys who do use them - can not comment.

4. Knee/wrist wraps - Again great for support and if used right adding kg's to ur lift! - great aid!!

5. Gloves - gay

Ronnie uses gloves and straps!

Moral of the story....

SOme people use somehting some people use nothing..

IT was mentioned before do what the **** you want to do and forget what people think... Because you train for YOU not them...

But know why you are using things...Im sure ronnie colman knows why he uses gloves and wraps... Im sure the 80kg deadlifter does not.

Anyone advanced enough to know what they require wont be asking alot of questions on forums generally..

Last edited:
I have no problem with that for anyone who wants to train their grip. As a bodybuilder, there are other things I'd like to train besides my grip's strength, especially when I won't be asked about it, nor would it contribute to building muscle size...

It's about being practical here vs. lifting monstrous weights (which is not the ultimate goal of a bodybuilder).

Fadi.

I respectfully disagree with your thoughts about bodybuilding and the selection of weight and exercise.
I still love you fadi.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ronnie uses gloves and straps!

Moral of the story....

SOme people use somehting some people use nothing..

IT was mentioned before do what the **** you want to do and forget what people think... Because you train for YOU not them...

But know why you are using things...Im sure ronnie colman knows why he uses gloves and wraps... Im sure the 80kg deadlifter does not.

Anyone advanced enough to know what they require wont be asking alot of questions on forums generally..

Totally agree mate!

Top post Fadi. At the end of the day, who gives a shit - really? Like with most things in life, there'll always be a rift - which doesn't matter, as long as you lift.

How about that, i'm a poet and didn't even know it.

But seriously, i've had clients who like to use gloves, straps (women particularly, 90% have used gloves.. they don't like callous') likewise, some men (particularly those who were in it for mass) liked the fact they could lift more, and hence grow more. Purely aesthetic.

Make your choices for the right reasons, and don't give two shits about what anyone else says or thinks. (Only listen of course, when they're genuinely trying to help and have the knowledge and experience to back it up - and not just being condescending about the choices you make with whether you use straps, or don't, for example).

Top post Fadi. At the end of the day, who gives a shit - really? Like with most things in life, there'll always be a rift - which doesn't matter, as long as you lift.

How about that, i'm a poet and didn't even know it.

But seriously, i've had clients who like to use gloves, straps (women particularly, 90% have used gloves.. they don't like callous') likewise, some men (particularly those who were in it for mass) liked the fact they could lift more, and hence grow more. Purely aesthetic.

Make your choices for the right reasons, and don't give two shits about what anyone else says or thinks. (Only listen of course, when they're genuinely trying to help and have the knowledge and experience to back it up - and not just being condescending about the choices you make with whether you use straps, or don't, for example).

I thought that way as well...

I was deadlifting 160 and my grip was going on me.. I thought better buy some straps...

Went looking around then read markos views on them and also read in arnold shwarzeneggers book aobut his dislike for them.. So i persisted... Guess what?

Now i do reps with 200kg and my grip is fine... If i had of used straps my grip would no doubt sitll be weak. Its not the best now but i also see what fadi is tlaking about..

Fadi is not saying avoid girp work to ift more, he is saying if you are doing something specific and your grip can not keep up becuse the effort is so intense then strap up ( look at matt kroc and all the pros) But no you dont band aids deadlifts ect..

I think all training items have their palces, you just have to be experienced enough and wise enough to know when exactly they are needed...

For example markos might one day say ok max 350kg rackpulls with straps. Straps or not the boy is strong the straps wont kill his lifting career but it might add more to other muscles markos is trying to target...

Everything has its palce, well allmost anything...

You get the idea..

If you lift 150kg deads with straps ill still call you a pussy you missed the idea of the article...

Of course, for the record I don't own a pair - I always deadlift raw, particularly because i'm too lazy to buy a pair, and my grip and forearms are good.

There was a period in 2005 where I used straps for 12 weeks (a mate of mine had them, and because we trained for MMA together, we trained with weights together in that block) I regularly mix my training up, but my favorite training style (particularly for blowing up) are super setting/tri setting/drop setting every massive compound.

Eg, Chinups (+15kg), Chinups (+10kg), Chinups (+5kg), Chinups (Bodyweight - which was 93.5kg at the time) (2-3 sets) with maybe 5-10 seconds between for the changeover in weight. Follow that with pullups, dips, shrugs & pressing etc. The straps in this case helped not because my grip was necessarily weak, but the sheer fatigue induced by this type of training to both your grip and forearms. Different bodies respond differently to training (funnily enough, the psychological side of things can often make or break it - we spent so much time fine tuning nutrition and training, that the third variable, mindset, is often neglected). So I always suggest to everyone to take time to find their niche and tweak it (it will always revolve around compounds, no matter what, however). But yes, after being skeptical with regards to the use of aids (and having the mentality of 'if you need to use them, you need to get your test levels checked') that training block had a profound impact on the way I thought of them - and to not be so condescending if people chose to use them.

Those were the days. Saturdays comprised of eat, MMA training 3-4 hrs (liquid meal in between) meal, resistance/strength 45-60 mins, eat, power nap, eat, pop a nut on the missus or by myself if she had sand in her vagina on that particular day, eat, eat, sleep. I digress, but I also reminisce

Last edited:
Christian, if you think that Max would ever wear straps, even if I ordered him too, you dont know Max.

You guys think I'm hardcore or extreme lol.....multiply that by 10.

Only difference is, he wont voice his opinion, ever. If someone simply said wear straps, or a belt, whatever, he would tell them to f u c k off if he knew them or ignore them if he didnt.

He doesnt tell others what to do either, unless theyre his clients, he keeps his mouth shut.

Look, I was just giving my view, just like Fadi gave his. There is no right answer.

If a novice lifter trains his grip from the start as hard as he trains his biceps, he'll never need them. End of story.

If a trainer allows a novice to use them, then he's not looking after the long term interest of his client.

I still see guys not even gripping a bar when they press, overhead or on the bench.
I saw a guy the other day, in fact a trainer, not gripping at all while demonstrating a bench press. His fingers were quite loose on the bar, which basically just rested on his palm. I thought this was odd. But the guy's been involved in boxing, so perhaps he actually can't close his fists from previous breaks, I'll have to ask him.

Not commenting on wraps etc as I've not used them, nor trained near those who do. Seen plenty of straps, though.
Fadi said:
It would always pay to compare apples with apples. I'm not a weightlifter anymore but a bodybuilder, so from this sport's point of view, (where the main focus is on building muscles above all else), I see straps as a very valid tool to help the bodybuilder achieve his or her aim.
In my experience, when my grip strength improved, my forearms grew. Get stronger, get bigger. Bodybuilders want bigger forearms along with everything else being big.

Bodybuilders also strive for proportional physiques. If one part is allowed to stay weak while another part gets stronger, the body will be out of proportion.

Of course the person could use straps, then do forearm work on another day to make up for it. But that would be a strange way to do things, as strange as doing a split routine when you squat 80kg. But stranger things have happened in gyms.

Last edited:
I love straps for exercises where I prefer to use a clean grip such as SLDL, clean pulls or clean grip shrugs.

Having said that it is the exception not the rule.

Anything not done with a clean grip is strapless.

That reminds me. Markos get some farms walk handled would you!
Posted via Mobile Device

Casey Viator has the best forearms I've ever seen.
The muscle belly almost runs into his wrist, amazing.
Posted via Mobile Device