• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Starting Strength pic.template thingy

A row isn't a replacement for the power clean... they are totally different lol.
Can't squat? No worries just do hand and thigh lifts lol

I know they are different, but in starting strength it's often replaced by the row, which, no probably isn't as good, but not as technical for a beginner..

Never seen a little Asian kid with glasses walk into a gym, try a clean, uses all his arms and cuts it from about mid shin... What could possibly go wrong?

A row is completely different to a clean though
It just makes me wonder why pick rows? Power cleans are easy to learn. The book makes it easy. How many people have actually read Starting Strength and seen just how easy it is to learn?

A row is completely different to a clean though
It just makes me wonder why pick rows? Power cleans are easy to learn. The book makes it easy. How many people have actually read Starting Strength and seen just how easy it is to learn?

As someone who gets coaching in the Olympic lifts, I don't think they or the variants, are basic enough to learn off a book or YouTube.. There is a lot you can't see..
May aswell do crossfit

I thought I could do decent cleans, then once I got coached we had to change a lot!!

Last edited:
Starting Strength isn't a weightlifting manual it's a guide for beginners
You don't need perfect technique

Starting Strength isn't a weightlifting manual it's a guide for beginners
You don't need perfect technique

Fair enough I guess...

I still don't think it's a move for a beginner, the coordination simply wont be there, though I agree a row isn't a replacement for a vertical pull...

Last edited:
I don't know why there isn't just more deadlifts instead
1 fucking set every 2 weeks? Sweet Jesus

I don't know why there isn't just more deadlifts instead
1 fucking set every 2 weeks? Sweet Jesus

I haven't read any of ripp's books, but by what you say, I have a question for you.

Looking like this program is best suited for the beginner...

Which exercise should a beginner go after;
The squat or the dead-lift?

As an aside, most people don't squat, even fewer dead lift.

I figure that most will at least try to squat once a week.

The dead lift is just plain tough, and with all that upperbody stuff, they would half ass the effort.

Better to devote yourself to the dead lift rather than have it as an after thought.

Let me be clear, the dead lift is a prime exercise, it's just not called for in this routine.

I haven't read any of ripp's books, but by what you say, I have a question for you.

Looking like this program is best suited for the beginner...

Which exercise should a beginner go after;
The squat or the dead-lift?

As an aside, most people don't squat, even fewer dead lift.

I figure that most will at least try to squat once a week.

The dead lift is just plain tough, and with all that upperbody stuff, they would half ass the effort.

Better to devote yourself to the dead lift rather than have it as an after thought.

Let me be clear, the dead lift is a prime exercise, it's just not called for in this routine.

For an absolute beginner I wouldn't lay the training out like this at all. Too little frequency, not enough volume. A beginner has a shitload of enthusiasm and can take a heap of volume so you may as well take advantage of this instead of doing a few sets of squats and leaving. Most people that do Starting Strength or StrongLifts end up with an absolutely TERRIBLE physique lol.

This is much more my style:
#8162821 - Pastie

For an absolute beginner I wouldn't lay the training out like this at all. Too little frequency, not enough volume. A beginner has a shitload of enthusiasm and can take a heap of volume so you may as well take advantage of this instead of doing a few sets of squats and leaving. Most people that do Starting Strength or StrongLifts end up with an absolutely TERRIBLE physique lol.

#8162821 - Pastie

Yeah true.

#8162821 - Pastie

Wouldn't say terrible, but that **** that wrote stronglifts looks like arse...

I like the program posted too... Good work smart little ****!
I'd rep if it was available

Last edited:

#8162821 - Pastie

Whoa whoa whoa!!! Deadlifting for multiple sets AND doing more than 5 reps?! Don't you know that beginners can't possibly do that productively and will get cancer and DIE from it?! It even has more than 5 exercises: you can't possibly learn that many movements! AND it allows for isolation exercises?! It's pure madness!!

I like it.

From memory didn't the starting strength program have four exercises ? I did the program a few years ago and it was great but I remember doing four exercises per session.

I just found the second edition book on my computer and it says the following as an example of a starting strength program.

Warmup;
Rowing machine, Situps (5min)

Workout A;

Squat
Press
Deadlift
Power Clean

Workout B;

Squat
Brench Press
Back Extensions
Chin/Pull ups