• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Seven minute workout...REALLY???

Thirty-odd years ago, Arthur Jones described metabolic conditioning as something greater than the sum of anaerobic and aerobic conditioning.

In other words, if you got very strong and very fit, there would be room for improvement, and that would be the realm of metabolic conditioning.

To get it, though, you've got to train for it. You do so not by tacking a running session onto the end of a lifting session; you do it by training for strength, but training at a rapid pace.

He wasn't claiming to define something new, although I think he was the one who coined the MC name.

Bill Starr and Tommy Suggs, of course, experimented with "timed squats," which went in a similar direction.

The major difference was that controlled intervals is cyclical in nature (something I've become a big believer in).
The major similarity is that both involved squats.

This whole approach to conditioning has been shown as viable over and over.

Big, multi-joint exercises, particularly when they're done over a large range of motion, are what do the trick.

Heavy KG's seem to be important, but going against that particular grain are the results of at least two kettlebell studies, in which both strength and endurance results were greater than control groups; the experimental group used KB poundages that were modest.

In those cases, though, range of motion was extreme (think snatch and C&J) and reps were comparitively high.

Despite the modest poundages, strength improvement in such tests as pullups and standing broad jump still exceeded participants who had practiced those very exercises the whole time.

More recently, the CrossFit have emphasized how improving aerobic conditioning through anaerobic means can lead to improved performance and fewer injuries.

They stress a little more variety than you'd want if you're looking for cosmetic improvement, though.

Sticking with, say, clean and press for sets of six, with rest periods that diminish from one workout to the next, will not only build your metabolic conditioning, but you're also going to end up with a beautiful back and set of shoulders, along with other muscle groups, if you stick with it long enough and work in cycles.

You'd want enough variety, of course, to avoid strength imbalances across the joints, but you get what I'm saying.

For example and for a seasoned trainee...

The 3x3 concept/practice of putting three fairly difficult exercises together and doing them back to back to back without rest, and then doing three total circuits is a well documented modality.

But, seldom done because of the physical and emotional demands on the trainee.

It usually involves one lowerbody exercise and two upperbody exercises. For example: squat/pullup/dip, or dead lift/bench press/dumbbell row.

something to consider for spring.

For example and for a seasoned trainee...

The 3x3 concept/practice of putting three fairly difficult exercises together and doing them back to back to back without rest, and then doing three total circuits is a well documented modality.

But, seldom done because of the physical and emotional demands on the trainee.

It usually involves one lowerbody exercise and two upperbody exercises. For example: squat/pullup/dip, or dead lift/bench press/dumbbell row.

something to consider for spring.

I may well give that a go at some stage, I don't know if I will survive.

I may well give that a go at some stage, I don't know if I will survive.

If you do, ease into it.
Once a month to start with, along with you normal weekly workouts.

Give yourself time to find the level.

Because You need to take each exercise to MMF
You need to set everything up before you start, doing this in a public gym is tricky.
Move quickly between each exercise, don't take time to get your breath.

Your targets are, if you can do more do it, but next workout you raise the weight, raise the weight prudently.

Lower body x 30rep's
Pull x 12
Push x 12
Lower body x 20 rep's
Pull x 10
Push x 10
Lower body x 15 rep's
Pull x 8
Push x 8

Using the same weight on each round.

10 mins is good.
12 -13 minutes is normal.

The rep cadence is the same, the difference between the 10 and the 12 is the downtime between sets.

One day a week I'll give myself a little fitness or strength test, eg 10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 chins superset'd with the same amount of pushups and time it. Then 6-7 weeks later, do it again & see how slow ive got lol
Its a tough workout and takes less than 10 mins. I wish all my workouts could be that short!
Not sure how much gains you'd get out of it!

If you do, ease into it.
Once a month to start with, along with you normal weekly workouts.

Give yourself time to find the level.

Because You need to take each exercise to MMF
You need to set everything up before you start, doing this in a public gym is tricky.
Move quickly between each exercise, don't take time to get your breath.

Your targets are, if you can do more do it, but next workout you raise the weight, raise the weight prudently.

Lower body x 30rep's
Pull x 12
Push x 12
Lower body x 20 rep's
Pull x 10
Push x 10
Lower body x 15 rep's
Pull x 8
Push x 8

Using the same weight on each round.

10 mins is good.
12 -13 minutes is normal.

The rep cadence is the same, the difference between the 10 and the 12 is the downtime between sets.

thanks silverback, I will give it a go on the weekend when the gym is vacant

I was doing Tabata (body weight) a month ago getting ready for Tough Mudder. It worked really well for what I wanted it for and was a very hard workout. Depends what the goals are at the end of the day.