• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rebuilding the Squat

Disco Duck

I'm current squatting 160kg and am no doubt capable of more with more consistent training, but my technique is not great and will surely limit my gains down the track. It's for this reason that I am taking the opportunity now to address my technical issues, even if that means my weights drop a bit in the short term.

I hit good depth on my squat, but it is achieved by my knees collapsing in towards the midline somewhat as I drop into the hole.
I'm incapable of getting into a good third-world squat position. I can only get down there with a narrow foot-position and by raising my heels.

I suspect that my biggest issue is probably short/tight hip adductors.
Can anyone offer any thoughts? I'm quite happy to be told I'm wrong... :)

Can anyone recommend some good tips to correct my issues?

Cheers!

Video would be really handy.

You squat more than i do but here are my thoughts.

Knee caving - probably hip or glute weakness - what accessory work do those get? Or try putting a band around your knees while you squat and consciously try to expand the band by shoving knees out.

Heels rising - could be ankle mobility. Try curling your toes up and squatting and see what happens.

Agree with glute weakness and the banded bad girls
have similar problem myself

lunge_stretch.jpg

Stretch like this. Front leg is in the basic position of the bottom of the squat, back leg draped behind. Quite simply, if you can do each side with the heel down, knee over toes, hips below knee and back neutral, then you have the flexibility to squat, and the issue is one of the following: mental, control, weakness (and these varying issues will tend to overlap a bit and play into each other). You've already been given advice on likely weaknesses and what to do about them. Whenever you squat, you should also be actively putting your weight on your heels and spreading the floor -- so long as you're doing this, your heels won't raise. If you're just not mentally comfortable with squats, then get back into the stretch shown above, then bring the back foot forward so that both legs are in a squat position. Practicing being in the bottom position before you worry about lowering yourself down into the bottom position, then practice driving through your heels to stand up out of the bottom position. Practicing being in the bottom position and getting up out of the hole will build the control and confidence to squat down into the bottom position, and then you'll be able to rebuild the weights from there.

Oh, and if your suspicion that short/tight hip adductors are causing any of your problems is correct, here's a novel approach: stretch your hip adductors.

Without been a prick 160kg is alot of weight to squat with shitty technique, I'd be worried about doing an injury. Get to a powerlifting gym and get checked out or if you can't do that just dial the weight right back and slowly build back up with perfect form, if you take the second option youtube is your friend.

Olympic lifters front squat all the time with their knees caving in
It's inefficient as fuck but I wouldn't be concerned about your knees blowing out unless you look like a 14 year old girl after her Dad walks in on her having sex. If the issue is one of a glute weakness I really wouldn't worry about continuing to squat as you addressed it

Chuck a video up mate, I cant really tell you much from what you've said.

Where abouts do you live?

Thanks for the offers and tips team.
I may very well take you up on your offers...

I'll try and get a video at some point soon.
I'm live round Mount Gravatt way, so am not awfully close to any of the good strength gyms unfortunately. If I was, I'd be there with bells on!

I'm 180cm tall and currently 92kg.

I have scales the weight right back (not really working beyond 70%) while I address my mobility and technique issues.

Last edited: