• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pullover

The hammer pullover is a big machine, all hammer equipment was designed by arthur jones son, Kim wood and ken liestner even had input on a lot of the machines, so most of the machines are actually designed bigger to accommodate the larger biuld american footballer.
The nautilus pullover is a little smaller.

Positioning in the machine is critical.
The axis is the pivot point of the lever, that needs to be in-line with the shoulder.
You'll know it right when your elbow doesn't move when it's on the pad throughout the movement.
The average shoulder width of a man is around 18 inches, if you are under that it might be harder to get the right posisition.
Get someone to stand in front of you to make sure the alignment is correct, if you can get this machine working for it will biuld a very strong back and hits the lats like now other exercise.
Builds incredible lat thickness.
People comment on my barrel chest, but I think I have more muscle on my back the my front.
I often will do these as a pre-fatigue exercise before sets of chin-ups.
Or even the other way around, in fact doing it this way brings a whole new meaning to lat pain I guarantee.

If there is a belt, we're it and pull it tight.
There should not be any excessive movement in the lumber area, a little is fine and good.
You will find you rom will increase over time as your flexibility will improve.

The resistance will feel a bit funny particularly towards the end of this machine, it's different to other pullovers, but after some time you will notice the resistance becomes smooth as your muscles grow in strength.
This is the beauty of the cam.
This is the beauty of the leverage machines in general compared to cables and barbells, jones really nailed the strength curve.

thanks Andy, that all makes sense. my lats are lagging pretty badly so once i get the hang of these i plan to do them reguarly. how often would you recommend? at the moment im just doing them once a week on my back day with deadlifts, chins, rows etc

I've always done full-body workouts hyjak so I incorporated pullovers every workout, get it right and you have a very intense exercise which only requires one set to MMF.

Doing a heavy set of pullovers directly after squats is a good thing.
In my forties I would often squat 5x5 with 120kg followed by a back off set of 20 rep's with 80, the run to the hammer pullover 12 x 100kg that was the beginning of my workout.
No way I could do that now, that was the best I did.

ive always done full body workouts too up until about 3 weeks ago as i needed a change to remotivate myself which worked. i'll just throw light sets in after each workout for now until i get the action right then i suppose i could chuck them in on leg days with squats and back days with deads.

ive always done full body workouts too up until about 3 weeks ago as i needed a change to remotivate myself which worked. i'll just throw light sets in after each workout for now until i get the action right then i suppose i could chuck them in on leg days with squats and back days with deads.

Yep, sure that would be fine and doing the exercise every time until skilled is a great idea.

If you need help or if you are unsure about this and any machine, sing out and I'll show you, if you're local..

The Nautilus pullover is the most important piece of muscle building equipment ever invented, next to the barbell.
The barbell is a miracle tool to build muscle, but it does have some short-coming for certain exercises and in some instances useless.

But, if we focus just on the chinup, pulldown or pull up I will attempt to describe how useful the pullover is.

The typical pulldown type movement the rom is 120 degrees around the shoulder, the wide grip pull up there is 70 degrees of movement, the narrow grip is 115 degrees.
With these three movements you have no resistance to the torso muscles at the beginning or end of the movement.

So if in doubt always choose the exercise with the greatest rom if you want to work that area
The amount of fatigue the muscles of the torso receives is depended upon the strength of ones arms.
The muscles of the back are quite large and would need a lot of direct work to facilitate growth, unfortunately the smaller muscles of the bicep fatigue much earlier before any inroads into torso muscleture fatigue is reached.

The pullover provides an incredible 280 degrees movement around the shoulder, provides direct resistance through the whole movement, the torso is also stretched and twisted to some degree and- not only constant but it is also variable due to the design of the cam which is designed so that the resistance is greatest at the begining and at the end of the movement,vthe weak link of the arms is also taken away and directed through the elbow.

To someone who has not used these machines the resistance doesn't feel right, not smooth or consistent, but as your strength improves you will then notice a change and once where you were weak you become strong.

Last edited:
Andy - thoughts on doing barbell pullovers?

A key movement used in conjunction with Peary Raders 20 rep breathing squat program.

Part of the problem the jones thought was the disadvantage of the barbell was that the resistance was straight up and down and not directional.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A24SgSQmDP4&feature=youtube_gdata_player]Nautilus Pullover: Casey Viator - YouTube[/ame]