• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting - Your first meet

I started for fun.

I then went for inspiration and smash my own PB's.

I now go to win.

My first comp I squatted 145kg, benched 102.5kg and deadlifted 190kg
My last comp I squatted 265kg, benched 157.5kg and deadlifted 305kg

Many lessons learnt from my first comp which I totally fucked, def needed to take more quality food and drink, have my usual lunchtime coffee which I missed on that day and get a decent nights sleep. Make sure all your shits ready to go, wraps, belt, suit etc so your not running around like a clown when you get there and be wrapped and ready when they call you up, few blokes got int he shit for taking bloody ages.

Definitely don't trust what you have lifted in normal sessions unless your charged on some Oni juice or having one of those golden days where you feel like an unstoppable machine, as by the time deadlifts come around and you have been lifting a few hours, you have already banged out 3 massive squats plus warmups and 3 heavy benches plus warmups which I thought wouldbe fuck all but I reckon the hype of the day ehlped to have me totally worn out by then (def getting old).

Not too fussed though as I met a heap of great people, lifted with some strong fuckers and found that no matter what you lift or how you go on the platform, everybody is very bloody supportive and is willing to help you out, even the surprisingly quiet and polite Oni :D
All in all, great day and good bit of fun.

I competed with Glandular Fever at ACT states, I expected to go crap. But the adrenalin of the day soon caught up, and even though I didn't lift my best, I went alot better than what I was anticipating.
I changed all my openers during warm up because warm up pretty much dictated how light the weight was feeling on the day.
Every day in powerlifting can be different.

I've competed in 1 meet, back in April.

Squats: I (and just about everyone) started warming up way too early, and spent about 45min repeating my last warm up every 10min. Went cold again at some point in there, had to redo my foam rolling. I think there was a misunderstanding about how long there would be between the girls finishing and the guys starting. Most of us in the first group of males started warming up at about 1:30pm, under the premise that we'd be starting at 2:00. I got my first two attempts (although the first one was wonky thanks to my dodgy warm up), but got stuck on the third attempt. Was quite disappointed with that, because based on gym lifts it looked like 150kg would be no big deal (in fact, early on in my training for this meet it looked like 160kg was going to be on the table).

Bench Press: Wasn't mentally prepared for the first lift; forgot that you have to wait for the start call. Brain was more aware on the second lift, which I got. I showed up planning to lift 100kg on my third attempt, but decided to play it safe and go for 97.5kg, which apparently was still over-zealous for the day. Like squats, my gym lifts indicated that 100kg would be realistic, so I was disappointed with that, too. On my second attempt (92.5kg), the pause on my chest felt way longer than it ought to, and it got to the point where, just before I got the press call, if I wasn't lying down with a weight on my chest I would have been throwing my hands in the air screaming: "The hell are you waiting for?!"

Deadlift: By the time these started, my care-factor was fairly low. If I wanted to test my maxes in the gym, I could go in, warm up and do it, and not spend an hour waiting around between events while the next group of lifters goes. It was sunset by the time I opened for deadlifts, so it would've been about 4 hours since I first started warming up for squats on the day. I made all three attempts. Based on how I went with squat and bench press, combined with how much zest I didn't have left, I knew that if I really had to grind it out the weight would be going back down again, so I opted for 177.5kg instead of 180kg, and the weight went up easier than I expected. I guess something went right in my training leading up to this.

Given how unsatisfied I was with my lifts, and that I didn't know the actual weights that anyone else in my weight class had used, I was more pleasantly confused than proud or excited when they put a gold medal around my neck at the end of the meet.

If there's one thing I learned about weight classes, it's that making weight isn't necessarily a good thing. Seeing as how 0ni can cut about 45kg of water, I figured "I'm right in the middle of the 74kg weight class, let's see if I can get down to 66kg and get a top 10 rank with PA." I weighed in at 67.5kg, and was significantly heavier about an hour later. There was only one guy in the 66kg weight class, I believe it was his first time competing as well, and he totalled 32.5kg more than me. You never know who you'll be competing against (at least in open comps), so fudging your weight might just put you against a stronger opponent. Besides that, your performance may suffer from worrying too much about making weight. I'm not sure if my failed lifts are attributable to that, so I'll stick with the more conservative stance that I simply wasn't strong enough this time around, but it certainly is a consideration.

haha I cut 5kg for a 4h weigh in, any more than that would be terrible I think

Fuck weight classes I won the 92's but got beat overall by a guy in the 82's fuck am I happy I didn't cut that few extra kg's.