• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New workout routine for building mass, please help!

T

timpsi

My current cut routine (sets/reps): Deffschema Pictures, Deffschema Images, Deffschema Photos, Deffschema Videos - Image - TinyPic - gratis vr bilder, foton och video

So the plan is to start with my new routine, for gaining lean mass, next week and I need some help with it. What I want to do is change up the exercises from my cut routine, increase the set and rape range to chock my body and also try to get 2 workouts/muscle every week with focus on technique. My GOAL is to build as much lean muscle mass as possible and to some time in March/April-2015 compete in some kind of Men's physique competition here in Sweden.

Important:
Weight: 159 lbs/72kgs
Height: 5' 11 / 181cm
BF%: Not sure, I estimate around 12% (?).
Strongest muscle(s)/exercises: Back (not deadlifts though, struggling here)
Weakest muscle(s)/exercises: I would want to write all of the muscles here, but lets stay real. Calves (!!!!), delts (mostly front), arms (biceps) and chest. I know the arms and chest part is a HUGE cliché, but I feel like I am struggling a lot with biceps and some chest - compared to the rest of my body.

My TDEE is around 2600kcal, although I only "starve" myself with around 1200kcal a day to keep my weight at 159lbs or less while cutting. Strange, right?

I want to achieve the pump as often as possible, so muscle-mind connection is key. I was thinking my routine would look something like this, starting light and going heavier, -with some inspiration from Josef Rakich and some exercises that I've never tried before:

Chest:
Dumbbell Press: 5x15-8
Incline dumbbell: 4x15-10
Incline flyes: 4x12-8
Pullovers s.s with pushups: 4x15-8
CC flyes: 3x15-12

Legs:
Squats 6x12-5
Leg press, I have a bad leg press at my gym, the "machine" kind which is rubbish. Thinking of switching gym soon but until then, what to do...: 4x10
Walking lunges (if enough space): 4x12-10, 6-5 steps with each leg
Stiff deadlifts: 3x15-10
Leg curls: 5x15-8
Hammy curl: 5x15-10

Walking calf raises with dumbbells: 5x20 (10 steps with each foot)
Standing calf raises: 5x15-10
Calf raises in leg press s.s with BW calf raises: 4x15-10, 4xfailure

Back:
(Deadlifts first on a seperate day instead of barbell rows: 6x12-3)
Lat pulldowns with underhand grip: 4x12-6
Chins, weighted s.s with bodyweight: +20kg/45lbs 4xfailure then failure with BW chins
Barbell row: 4x12-8
T-bar/one-hand row: 4x15-8

Delts, traps:
Shoulder press: 5x15-10
Single arm upright row: 4x15-8
Front raises: 4x15-6
Side raises (light): 4x15-10
Barbell shrugs: 5x12-6

Arms:
Can't do dips because I seem to have injured a nerve in my finger which hurts as hell when it gets pressured down during dips...
frown.gif

Overhead dumbbell extension: 5x15-6
Triceps extensions: 5x15-8
Rope extensions s.s with BW pushups against bench (partial reps): 4x15-12, 4xfailure

Barbell curls: 5x12-8
Incline dumbbell curls: 4x-12-10
Hammercurls: 4x12-8
Spider curls/concentration curls: 4x12-8

Ab workouts basically the same, but I'll just switch them up during the weeks and add some exercises for the TVA, know any good ones?

I just put some time to writing this down so please feel free to critique it or give me some tips. As I said my goal is to be doing each muscle 2 times a week, switching up the exercises from time to time but that might be a bit overkill. What do you guys think of this?
smile.gif

Welcome.

The routine seems fine to me, 5 day a week splits work well. Just make sure you do it consistently and progress consistently. In saying that, if I was going to do a 5 day/week split, I would read through this thread: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_on...ding/do_this_routine_instead_of_that_dumb_one. Read through the program and the comments afterwards.

However, if you want to hit your muscles twice a week, I would probably go with a solid upper/lower routine (there are plenty of good ones on the net.. lyle mcdonald's generic guide to bulking, power hypertrophy upper lower to name a few). Seeing you seem to be able to train 5 days a week you might even do upper/lower over 2 days and then pull/push/legs over 3 days. I tend to use those upper/lower programs as a base guide and tweak as required. E.g. I wouldn't go adding extra chest exercises but I might for example switch out flat barbell and go for flat hammer strength, just because flat barbell doesn't work well for me.

ps. there is an interesting word in the 3rd sentence of your post :p

Gaining mass isn't about a certain routine, theres no special program that will make you huge. big eating, plus pushing for more reps and or more weight on big exercises plus consistency will get you big. but if you want some ideas, push pull legs works great over 4 days of the week. DC rest pause training works very very well if your eating enough and willing to go balls out, your strength will increase quite a bit to. also with myself and people I have trained with over the years, intensity is where it seems its at for getting bigger rather than over all volume.

Sorry I wasn't very clear on that, 1-2 balls out sets taken to failure seem to be better for building mass than volume on a movement. anyone looking for pure mass and is lean I would give dc rest pause training a go, ive never seen it not work well.

My TDEE is around 2600kcal, although I only "starve" myself with around 1200kcal a day to keep my weight at 159lbs or less while cutting. Strange, right?

Huh? lol

What is your diet like currently? What are you eating