• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

new member after opinions

jayb

Hey guys, new member just after some opinions regarding my workout program.
Been working out for around 2 years but the last 6 months or so I seem to have stagnated a bit in terms of results
im 6ft 84kg, bf% anywhere from 12-15%
Im ideally trying to rip up quite a bit whilst continuing to put on size in the chest and shoulders
My program as it stands is as such
Bench DB 12-8-5-8-12 (50kg, 60kg, 75kg, 60kg 50kg)
lat pull 12-8-5-8-12 (73kg 82kg 90kg 82kg 73kg)
squats 4x8 (120kg)
lat raises 12-8-5-8-12 (25kg 30 kg 35kg 30 25)
calf raises 3x12 (300 pound - machine)
tri ropes 12-8-5-8-12 (41kg 47kg 53kg 47kg 41kg)
preacher curl 12-8-5-8-12 (30 35 40 35 30)
flys on ball 4x10 (anywhere from 50-60kg)
then i throw in 10 mins of abs different exercises each day

i will do that workout in variation (same muscle groups different exercises) 4 times a week. I rest max 1 min between sets, as far as the actual physical exertion id say its at about 80% of what my maximum would be (would shoot for 100% but i train alone so i have no one to spot me and the gym i use is kind of old school only a few machines mainly all db work)
My problem is I dont seem to be putting on the size i desire around my chest and shoulders, everywhere else seems to be steadily getting bigger and definition is improving.
I can do this workout everyday without much of an issue (ie did 6/7 days last week and never really felt sore or tired)
Am I overtraining? vice versa? Am I not lifting enough? Is this program counterproductive to my goals??
basically just after some advice to steer me in the right direction
Supplement wise I take oxyelite in the morning, WPI after training and tribulus at night. Diet is pretty good unless i have a big weekend.. which happens prob once a month
Sorry if I have put this in the wrong area.
Thanks in advance

I hate these posts.

After two years you should know the deal.

Try differant things over time like below, then report back.
Eat more
Work harder
Reduce work load
Increase work load
Eat more
Pull more than push
Squat more eat more
More sleep
Reduce sleep
Work harder

Be your own expert.

Hey guys, new member just after some opinions regarding my workout program.
Been working out for around 2 years but the last 6 months or so I seem to have stagnated a bit in terms of results
im 6ft 84kg, bf% anywhere from 12-15%
Im ideally trying to rip up quite a bit whilst continuing to put on size in the chest and shoulders
My program as it stands is as such
Bench DB 12-8-5-8-12 (50kg, 60kg, 75kg, 60kg 50kg)
lat pull 12-8-5-8-12 (73kg 82kg 90kg 82kg 73kg)
squats 4x8 (120kg)
lat raises 12-8-5-8-12 (25kg 30 kg 35kg 30 25)
calf raises 3x12 (300 pound - machine)
tri ropes 12-8-5-8-12 (41kg 47kg 53kg 47kg 41kg)
preacher curl 12-8-5-8-12 (30 35 40 35 30)
flys on ball 4x10 (anywhere from 50-60kg)
then i throw in 10 mins of abs different exercises each day

i will do that workout in variation (same muscle groups different exercises) 4 times a week. I rest max 1 min between sets, as far as the actual physical exertion id say its at about 80% of what my maximum would be (would shoot for 100% but i train alone so i have no one to spot me and the gym i use is kind of old school only a few machines mainly all db work)
My problem is I dont seem to be putting on the size i desire around my chest and shoulders, everywhere else seems to be steadily getting bigger and definition is improving.
I can do this workout everyday without much of an issue (ie did 6/7 days last week and never really felt sore or tired)
Am I overtraining? vice versa? Am I not lifting enough? Is this program counterproductive to my goals??
basically just after some advice to steer me in the right direction
Supplement wise I take oxyelite in the morning, WPI after training and tribulus at night. Diet is pretty good unless i have a big weekend.. which happens prob once a month
Sorry if I have put this in the wrong area.
Thanks in advance
After 2 years of training you could probably try a specialized chest / shoulder routine rather than full body workouts.
Sample:
Steve's Density And Strength 4 Day Split | Muscle & Strength

^^^
I'm doing this now. I love it.

thanks groar, ill definitely have a look into that method, looks good.

kuntze i work varying shifts (hospitality) so unfortunately its hard for me to maintain a consistant pattern in 90% of the fields you mentioned, basically was just fishing to see if anyone had a similar stall in progress and if they managed to find a way around it.

Everyone stalls. It's normal or everyone would be benching 200kg and 110kg bodyweight ripped.

You are not overtraining. If you have to ask the question you are not and likely could never overtrain even if you wanted to. Never worry about it again.

The program isn't the key it's the effort you put into it. Training at 80% is hardly going to get great results. No one gets big or strong by training at 80%. Fix that and gains will come.

thanks groar, ill definitely have a look into that method, looks good.

kuntze i work varying shifts (hospitality) so unfortunately its hard for me to maintain a consistant pattern in 90% of the fields you mentioned, basically was just fishing to see if anyone had a similar stall in progress and if they managed to find a way around it.

When I say "I hate..." I mean it's difficult to give an appropriate answer with little background or details given.

If progress stalls it's usually one of those factors, play around and experiment.

You know when you are over trained, you will start losing muscle tissue is one symptom.

But no such thing as overtraining.

If you are trying to 'rip up' and put size on your chest and shoulders, then no wonder your gains are stalling. You can't do both.

If you want to be 85kg, but lean and ripped, then you probably need to at least get well above that weight (I'm thinking 92-95kg), maintain it for a bit so the muscle is more dense and then cut back down to your desired weight.

I've been yo-yoing around the 80-85kg mark for the last year and a half, by trying to bulk up, then cut back down. All you do is slow yourself down and get nowhere.

As for a training program, google "t-nation do this routine instead of that dumb one" and read Professor X's thread. It's what I'm doing after nearly 8 years of mediocrity :p

Good luck.