• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Muscular strength and endurance.

Point is you can train many ways and make moderate weights quite hard and intense which will have overload to max strength.

While do you think skiers can do reps on 180kg squats wihtout ever doing squats, why do you think ballet dancers have exceptional leg power without doing weights. Oh shit, if only they had known. They should be doing powerlifting training.

Last edited:
You might ask, why not take a 1kg plate and curl it until you can't even lift 1kg for a 100% reduction in your strength?

Two reasons; it takes too long and it's to painful.

See Goosey's last point is important.

When a marathon runner sprints at end of race, he or she will go from aeorobic system to anaerobic.

Now logic to me would suggest that a strength athlete who takes say 4 sets of 8 to get to failure or say 4 sets of 5 with short rest, is still going to stimulate ATP or whatever on a simialr basis as 1 set of 3-4 on 90%.

Most important thing about training on say 90% is specificity to lifting event. That is why most programs of strength lifting taper down to low reps before comp.

Perhaps that is why Kazmaier also incorporated a lot of reps into his training. When you take joe's points into account, moderate weights with intensity and lots of eating also huge factors for success, assuming one has the talent.

Never be fooled by what people say they do in terms of sets, reps and percentage alone; it is the intensity that also counts and this can altered greatly by speed of movement or by rest duration as others have alluded to.

My experience is that there is a strong relationship between sub-maximal weights and maximal weights, and that there are many ways to stimulate growth necessary for great strength and power.

Last edited:
I think living in the high rep ranges are wise, living in the 1~3 I think you can look forward to a short lifting career.

See Goosey's last point is important.

When a marathon runner sprints at end of race, he or she will go from aeorobic system to anaerobic.

Now logic to me would suggest that a strength athlete who takes say 4 sets of 8 to get to failure or say 4 sets of 5 with short rest, is still going to stimulate ATP or whatever on a simialr basis as 1 set of 3-4 on 90%.

Most important thing about training on say 90% is specificity to lifting event. That is why most programs of strength lifting taper down to low reps before comp.

Perhaps that is why Kazmaier also incorporated a lot of reps into his training. When you take joe's points into account, moderate weights with intensity and lots of eating also huge factors for success, assuming one has the talent.

Never be fooled by what people say they do in terms of sets, reps and percentage alone; it is the intensity that also counts and this can altered greatly by speed of movementor by rest duration as others have alluded to.

My experience is that there is a strong relationship between sub-maximal weights and maximal weights, and that there are many ways to stimulate growth necessary for great strength and power.

Intensity is key, as in the intensity of mechanical work, not the look on the face or the kg's lifted.

The other thing about 85-90% sets is the huge amount of adrenalin that is called upon, and the difficulty of recovering from such intense training.

For myself, a very intense person, it takes me about 2 weeks to recover from one or two heavy sessions in a row.

While others are more wired for more regular heavy sessions, i do a lot of moderate sets, say 60-80% of max. However, while i hardly need to psyche up, i increase intensity by using optimal form and lowering rest times.

Last edited:
I think this is also different for those that are "untrained" relative to those who are regular trainers?

i.e. if coming off no training, for a period of time the beginners will improve on a number of fronts even if trying to focus on strength or endurance specifically.

If I increase my 20RM significantly, it will probably correlate to an increased 10RM. If I increase my 10RM significantly, it will probably correlate to an increased 5RM. If I increase my 5RM significantly, it will probably correlate to an increased 1RM. In my experience, the precentages aren't entirely reliable, but they are a useful guide nonetheless. One thing's for sure, if my 1RM is 100kg today, and 6 months from now I'm doing 100kg for 20 reps, my 1RM will absolutely, positively, without a doubt, be higher.