• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Lower back pain

I've had a bad lower back probs for years. I'm pretty sure mine was from pelvic tilt. I started doing glute and pelvic stretches on a daily basis to get blood in There and it's worked great. Mobility is coming back I've so worked on proper posture and even correct walking techniques. I've had ligament problems in the past I used to only feel planks in my lower back now I've learnt to work on abs and lower back at the same time it's more balanced. At the start I had DOMS I'n my gluts and abs for days and days so I'm pretty sure that they were just not in sync with the rest of my body as well .

Sorry for all the Q's in advance.

**Ok, while you're waiting to get your MRI could you explain what you've done specifically for core work?

**Also what are you stretching?

I ask because you generally won't have tight hamstrings AND hip flexors. Usually one will be tight and will be over stretched (depending on pelvic tilt). There are tests that can be done to determine which is which.

Pain radiating from the lower back does not necessarily indicate ruptured disc's. I've had a similar experiences and one was facet joint related. It also helps to know what movement/s cause pain...

**Lumbar Flexion - rounding of the lower back like a hitched deadlift?

**Lumbar Extension/Hyperextension - arching the lower back like the top of a back extension?

**Lateral Flexion - sideways bending of the spine?

**Compression/axial loading - When there is excess weight on your back causing pain?

If you can identify these things we can sort out what to stay away from.

Core Work - [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKXFarXbys[/ame] - Every other day, also planks.

Have started to do supermans for the lower back also.

**Compression/axial loading - This is definitely the leading cause of my pain. If I think my back is doing OK and I go to do a heavy set of squats it will re-appear and remain for days afterwards.

I was able to squat last week after stretching my lower back and hamstrings before and during my warm ups. I am very stiff after sitting down at work most of the morning, as I train early after lunch during my break. If I stand and generally move about lots during the morning I am fairly loose already, but as my job entails mostly sitting down I don't really have that luxury. I will have to investigate a standing up desk or another method of getting more mobility into my job, as others have said it's only going to get worse.

My back has been pretty good for 2 or so weeks now, I've only done one set of deadlifts on Friday with no lingering issues thus far. Even managed to crawl under the house yesterday installing under floor insulation without issue, just banged up knees!

Thanks all for the continued suggestions.

Last edited:
I've had a bad lower back probs for years. I'm pretty sure mine was from pelvic tilt. I started doing glute and pelvic stretches on a daily basis to get blood in There and it's worked great. Mobility is coming back I've so worked on proper posture and even correct walking techniques. I've had ligament problems in the past I used to only feel planks in my lower back now I've learnt to work on abs and lower back at the same time it's more balanced. At the start I had DOMS I'n my gluts and abs for days and days so I'm pretty sure that they were just not in sync with the rest of my body as well .

I definitely had anterior pelvic tilt issues before working on the trigger points in my glutes and just general posture. I don't look so much like Donald Duck anymore!

I definitely had anterior pelvic tilt issues before working on the trigger points in my glutes and just general posture. I don't look so much like Donald Duck anymore!

Heh - yeah the physio has got me working on the trigger points in my glute med at the moment :<

Took me a good 4 weeks of rolling on all sorts of different surfaces to release every single knotted muscle fibre in my glutes. Mine are actually malformed to some respect, my med and min and much larger than my glute max, which is probably not helping my back issues either.

Well I managed to squat 110kg x 6 x 3 today with no pain, I will slowly ramp it up and continue my core and stretching work to see how we go.

All that sounds familiar. Been reading one of Mcgills back books??

No not yet, Low Back Disorder's is on the book list though. Just from reading up on it, like I said I've had this problem and do not want to repeat it.

I was able to squat last week after stretching my lower back and hamstrings before and during my warm ups.

Good to hear your back is feeling better mate. But if you did have a anterior pelvic tilt could you do me a favour and just do this test. It'll take like 5 minutes. Just make sure you do it on a hard surface.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n1KqlbSk20"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n1KqlbSk20[/ame]

No not yet, Low Back Disorder's is on the book list though. Just from reading up on it, like I said I've had this problem and do not want to repeat it.

Good to hear your back is feeling better mate. But if you did have a anterior pelvic tilt could you do me a favour and just do this test. It'll take like 5 minutes. Just make sure you do it on a hard surface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n1KqlbSk20

Low back disorders is a great book if you have a stuffed back.

Had a back problem for years. Got that book, worked out the problem. Then did exercises for it. Better than ever now.

Is there a good Cliff's Notes for injury prevention for the lower back?

My physio told me he thought I strained a joint when I was bed ridden for about 5 days. It's not something I want to repeat.

Lift with a straight back and all that - any good guides? How to deadlift without screwing yourself up? Perhaps a 'how to injure yourself' so I don't?

Is there a good Cliff's Notes for injury prevention for the lower back?

My physio told me he thought I strained a joint when I was bed ridden for about 5 days. It's not something I want to repeat.

Lift with a straight back and all that - any good guides? How to deadlift without screwing yourself up? Perhaps a 'how to injure yourself' so I don't?

Best advise i can say is get a strong back but any strengthening exercise you do build up slowly to allow the structures of the back to slowly adapt rather than blow apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n1KqlbSk20

Thanks Bams for your continued interest!

I've taken a video of the test, very tight PSOAS muscles from the looks of things, and certainly something I need to stretch a few times a day at work due to sitting down a lot of the time.

[youtube]OT198o05jF0[/youtube]​

My TFL is also super tight, always has been but I've never really come across a video until now that explains how to release it. So I'll also be adding this to my self massage arsenal.

[youtube]BYAzbdAErU4[/youtube]​

Thanks Bams for your continued interest!

I've taken a video of the test, very tight PSOAS muscles from the looks of things, and certainly something I need to stretch a few times a day at work due to sitting down a lot of the time.

No worries Myst, just wanted to make sure you weren't stretching the wrong muscles and making it worse. Luckily I did.

From the angle, the PSOAS looks a little tight. The RECTUS FEMORIS (part of the quad) on the other hand is definitely tight, there is a greater than 90 degree angle between the upper and lower leg.

Stretching the hamstrings won't do you any good because they're already in an OVERSRETCHED position. Stretching the low back would be good, but it's better if you just focused on the other things instead.

Out of all the current ab/lower back exercises you're doing planks are the only ones I would keep. The ab bike for example, uses the hip flexors and we want to use rectus abdominis (6 pack). Reverse crunches would be a great exercise for this.

To Do List-

* Stretch the hip flexors/quad with a bent leg. Do not stretch the lower back. You can use a couch or chair with a cushion for this. 1-2 times daily, for 30-60 seconds at a time per leg. Longer tensions are better for lengthening a muscle.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfa7uSXUliA"]Fix lower back pain- stretch for the hip flexors and quadriceps - YouTube[/ame]

* Strengthen the abs, hamstrings and glutes.

* Foam roll the ITB, TFL and quads everyday. If you don't have a foam roller, get one or a 1 metre long 90mm PVC pipe. This will be your neew best friend. You can use a lacross/cricket ball like the guy on the video but will be very painful if you have't built up a tolerance with the foam roller first.

Excellent thanks so much! I definitely have a tolerance to the hockey ball, I even use rocks in the garden for my glutes at times as they get very tight.

I've also got a theracane which I used on my quads the other night, hitting a lot of built up trigger points. I'll be sure to switch up my routine to include all of your suggestions!

Well my back has felt better than it has in a long time!

Deadlifted 140kg x 6 x 3 last night, woke up this morning no pain and still very loose.

Working my TFL muscles on both sides has made a noticeable difference, I feel very loose and not as stiff as before.

The stretching is definitely making a difference also.

Lets hope the good run continues, I'm very much looking forward to starting another power lifting routine.

Did bent over rows on Saturday, and last night squats 140 x 4 x 3, no back pain today!!!

So happy, thanks all for the contributions, it's been 8 long months without my beloved squats or deadlifts.