• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Living off 1200 calories a day ?

I had steady weight loss of ~0.5kg/week on 1700cal/week at 185cm starting from 97kg down to ~90kg where i am now. I was as low as 86kg on my 1700cal/week but I wasn't training at all and was working massive hours - pretty sure i chewed up a lot of muscle mass in that time as i was making no effort to keep my protein intake up.

When i returned to real life and started training again i went up to 2000cals on rest days, 2500 on lift days and 3000 on riding days (i ride bikes - typically a ride day is 2-4hrs on the bike so very roughly 1500-3000calories consumed through exercise). i hit 200g of protein every day without fail. this is what i'm doing at the moment and my weight is steady, but my body fat is decreasing - i'm down to just a handful on the lower stomach and a thin layer elsewhere. still a few kgs to go, but pretty happy with where i am at the moment regardless.

the only measurements i have a based on my belts and they are slightly smaller now at 90kg than they were at 86, but not by much. strength and conditioning are both on the up - I have PB'd my front squat, back squat, deadlift and chin reps to failure in the last few weeks and I have PB'd my commute to work on the bike twice in the last month.

I'm doing a lean gains styled IF - i pretty much just skip breakfast, smash lunch and dinner and then stop eating by 8pm. this works for me because it prevents late night snacking and i love big meals. breakfast has never really made any difference to satiety for me so missing it is no big deal. i still fit in plenty of food type that would be considered "cheats" - i'm a fiend for nuts, nut butter, dark chocolate and home made ice cream. IIFYM FTW.

I also low carb but this is inconsequential, really. this is more of a lifestyle choice - I don't buy the lipid hypothesis and i don't like wasting big chunks of my calorie allowance on grains that don't taste good until i cover them in fat and/or protein. also, restricting my diet like this makes it more difficult for me to eat beyond my calorie limits because it restricts my access to a lot of calorie dense foods - i can pack away heaps and heaps of rice and pasta, but nowhere near as much protein so it helps me hit "full" in less calories if i structure my meals like this.

back to the original question, 1200cals is do-able, but unsustainable. I hit some pretty low points personally as a result of the potent combination of work stress, life stress, exercise deprivation, sleep deprivation and hormone imbalances due to weight loss and calorie restriction. no matter how much weight i had lost or how awesome the new me looked, there was no amount of willpower that could overcome the mess i had made of my endocrine system.

my advice:
lift heavy compounds 3 days a week.
cardio is done only because you don't have the willpower to eat to your target calories (no shit, sometimes i ride for an extra hour or so just so i can eat a whole block of chocolate in one sitting).
eat well on the days that you work out and calorie restrict on the days that you don't.
re-feed on a regular and well planned basis - unplanned re-feeds are just binges.
weigh in daily, but track your weight on a weekly average rather than individual days to cancel out the peaks and troughs of water retention, bowel movements, diuretics, etc...
track your calories and macros on a daily basis, but remember that it's ultimately the long term deficit (week to week) that matters, not the short term (day to day).
track your progress with a tape measure as well as the scales.

Anyone got any ideas on what I should change to be more effective ? are free weights better ? whats the different between free weights and machine?

Free weights are largely compound lifts and will do what they sound like; they'll work multiple muscle groups and joints. Machines are generally 'isolation' exercises, and quite frankly they're bull for any type of progress.

If you're a beginner, try something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. They're both full body workouts 3x a week, and they're a good foundation to build on. Cardio optional.

As a beginner, you can still build muscle & lose fat at a decent rate; I would re-address my diet and look at what I need to keep up my performance rather than focusing on a strict calorie deficit, if I were you.
Basically, find out what your maintenance would be and eat at that. The exercise will provide you with your calorie deficit and eating at maintenance should keep you satiated & sane.

Where would I find the work outs "Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5" -- came up with different workouts and stuff looking through google . cheers.

Starting Strength you'd have to buy the book by Mark Rippetoe. You can buy it in electronic format for a pittance, considering the amount of info it'll give you.

Stronglifts is a web-based program by Mehdi Hadim, based on the same principles, some think it's inferior to just starting out with Mark's program, but it works and you can make great progress in a relatively short amount of time.
Just go to Stronglifts.com, click "free report," sign up to the newsletter (you can unsubscribe later) and download the PDF.

You don't need to read it all, Mehdi is a rambler and he loves his testimonials. But it's important to note they're not aimed at gaining mass, they're aimed at gaining strength.

Free weights are largely compound lifts and will do what they sound like; they'll work multiple muscle groups and joints. Machines are generally 'isolation' exercises, and quite frankly they're bull for any type of progress.

If you're a beginner, try something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5. They're both full body workouts 3x a week, and they're a good foundation to build on. Cardio optional.

As a beginner, you can still build muscle & lose fat at a decent rate; I would re-address my diet and look at what I need to keep up my performance rather than focusing on a strict calorie deficit, if I were you.
Basically, find out what your maintenance would be and eat at that. The exercise will provide you with your calorie deficit and eating at maintenance should keep you satiated & sane.

Negged for bringing up stronglifts. Mehdi is a tool.

Negged for bringing up stronglifts. Mehdi is a tool.
Lol, it's true... negtown fer sure. But the program is a solid way to start out if you skip over the garbage and get right down to the bones of it.

Even if you do not do the program, the starting strength book/e-book is an excellent reference on how the perform the important lifts with good form.

I think too many people get obsessed with counting calories, or consuming a specific number of calories with no real target or ability to maintain the discipline long term. It's usually the main reason people fail with weight loss goals.

If you're OCD or have specific short term goals, it usually works fine. But as a lifestyle choice long term, simply eating sensible, healthy, natural foods wins every time. We all know what they are and we all understand what balance means.

While there are some that love the obsession, for many, they make it much harder for themselves than it really needs to be. Sensible diet and regular exercise.. it really is that simple for most people.