• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

just a few questions

CoMarsh

Hey guys so im about to head back to bulking soon, im wondering if you guys could answer a few questions.

Weight: 68 kg
Height: 172cm
BMR: 1729 (from google calculation)
Due to me being more of an endomorph I need to have a clean bulk diet.

So the calories I am aiming for is 2000 at the moment.
Some of these questions might be obvious to answer, just want to down pack it.

How much excess calories should I be eating?
How much weight gain in a week is bad?
As my weight increases so does my calories? true/false
Is aiming for 2 g of protein per kg resonable?
How much fat/carbs per kg should be my intake?
What if I am gaining too much fat? reduce calories by? (this is cause if I don't watch what I eat I gain weight fast, e.g. from 3 days of high calories I gain 2 kgs)
Btw guys im trying not to put on like 10 kgs of fat, I am trying to supply my muscles with more nutrients for it to grow, so I need to aim for a resonable weight for myself.

You are under 70kgs and you consider yourself an endomorph? Are you sure you are 172cm? Post up a photo of your current state.

How much excess calories should I be eating?
A lot more than the proposed 2000.

How much weight gain in a week is bad? It depends on how much fat you are putting on. If in two weeks you are putting on an obviously too high amount of fat then you need to adjust intake or energy expenditure.

As my weight increases so does my calories? true

Is aiming for 2 g of protein per kg resonable? Over 2g, make that a minimum.

How much fat/carbs per kg should be my intake? Depends on how much protein are you getting in. If you can take in about 40% of your diet with protein and intake a range of healthy fats at about 30% you have 30% of your calories to come for carbs. That is an easy way to keep it simple.

What if I am gaining too much fat? reduce calories by? 250cals for 2 weeks and reassess.

At your weight you are putting a bit too much into it. Just don't eat crap (you know what is crap, if you need to ask post it here) and eat up a lot as often as you can. Take in a lot of food post workout. Eat more. See how you grow and how strong you are getting. If you are not growing enough you need more. Pretty simple.

Yeah personally I don't like to eat crap, like chips, chocolate, ice cream or whtever its a wierd thing for me, I like to stay away from them.

I've just taken a pic but have no idea how to upload it.

my measurements are
21.5 inch for leg, 13.5 inch for arms, 38 inch for chest, 31 inch waist bell button region ,33.5 inch for hip and 15 inch for calfs

I consider myself more endomorph, cause I build up a HUGE belly when I bulk up to 75kg last time.

31 inch waist

Yeah that is not endomorph material mate, you sound ecto to me. But really that all does not matter. What matters is that you are lifting properly and taking in enough food.

How is your lifting?

My lifting is down at the moment, due to my VCE exams coming up and im trying to get a high ATAR score for uni. =S
my study break starts next week so im hitting the gym harder then
My lifts atm is
squats 80 kg 8-10 reps 3 sets can't seem to get higher much cause my spine feels compress
deadlifts 120 8-10 reps 3 sets
Leg press 350 kg 8-10 reps 3 sets
Bench press 75 kg for 8-10 reps 3 sets
lat pull downs 140 lbs(lbs cause my school gym doesn't show that in kg) 8-10 reps 3 sets
flys 15kg 8-10 reps 3 sets
seated row 140lbs
I've got some other exercises which I dont have precise weights that I can lift.
I lift all of these full ROM and try to increase rep, weight or decrease resting time each week.

Btw how do I upload pics here?

120kg for a deadlift? good stuff man. To upload pics click go advanced. and upload from there.

Have you tried squatting with a belt? My back suffers a bit with deads and squats due to problems with my disc's. Try 20 reps with lower weights to stregthen your back. Good mornings will also help you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha yeah 120kg deadlift, no problem for my back, only for the third set my grip gets messed up and tend to drop it earlier. Have never tried a belt, but i'll give it a go, wierd thing is it just feel unease with a heavy weight feeling compression on the back and makes me do less. i'll probably try good mornings for a few weeks to strengthen it out and heavy my squats and see then.

I tried to post my image here and a there is a pop up, it says there isn't any in my "picture gallery". when I have it in my picture file in my comp.

For a long time now I've been a big advocate for keeping carve moderate in a bulk. Having your macro's like 35/50/15 would be alright.

Take your lean body mass, weight minus bodyfat and multiply that by atleast 17. That's how many calories to aim for. If your LBM is 150lb...150 x 17 = 2250 calories.

Broken up, your looking at 225g of protien, 150g of fat and 75g of carbs per day. Carb intake would be twice a day, breakfast and pwo. Though breakfast is more important.
Posted via Mobile Device

hmm...intresting, but i've yet to find my body fat % i've got a digital scale which shows it but im pretty sure it isn't accurate at all. sounds like a good ordeal having lower carbs and more fat and protein. Btw im curious? is it a myth to be able to gain lean muscle mass and lose fat? cause i've read articles saying that if you have calorie deficit your muscles would take the energy from fats instead and u'll lose fat whilst gaining muscle mass.

You can't make proteins from fats but those fats can fuel your body and spare ingested protein from being used as fuel. So you need to eat up on the protein in this case and have enough fat stores for it to be easily liberated by your body. For a good example go see BigJims thread. He was 150kg and is now 104kg and has much more muscle mass. So it is possible but will be quite difficult for a person with low bodyfat levels.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speaking from experience, it's very hard. Focus on the muscle first which will make losing fat easier with a higher bmr

You need protein to build muscle. If your loosing fat your muscle gains will be small in comparison to a bulk diet where your fat will increase along with your muscle. In your situation I would slim down using burpees, heavy workouts and a good diet then once your at a good weight increase your calories.
Posted via Mobile Device