• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How to bench the rigth way

tray_182002

How should u do your bench press?
Now when im bench pressing i see that me n my parnter struggle on the second set but then the third u match or do it a bit easy
i.e. say we warm up with 70kg do between 6 to 8
then we go to 90kg then we do say 4 . But the next set we can do 6. Then 4 set have to go to 80kg
Should u go say 4 set 60kg 70kg 80kg then 90kg climbing the weigth as u go ?
Or is it all in our head?

Maybe you are not warmed up properly. warmups are typically 30-50% of your max, lots of people do a 20 rep with just a 20kg bar, then a light weighted set, ~30%max and a moderate weight set ~50-60%max.

Work sets should start around 70%max, 6-8 reps, unless you are focusing on pushing up to a new PB or 1RM, which you shouldnt be doing all the time..

maybe you body needs to get used to the heavier weights more gradually

There are heaps of training options and numerous ways of gradually increasing your weights and reps each session, just dont fall into teh trap of going too heavy too quick and sacrificeing the volume in your training, target about 30 reps each session. not includin warmups.

I have also noticed that on subsequent sets you can push out an extra rep, the time betwen sets will effect your performance as will your energy levels, ie what you have eaten prior to that session, and how much sleep you have had.

Last edited: