• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How often?

I try to add weight each workout, and being one of my weak points I add a couple of 1.25kg at a time so about 2.5kg.

I've slowed down now though so I'll be increasing the weight each week instead of each workout.

depends,

you can add weight for each set dropping the reps back each time a bit like 5,3,1

I will either aim for a minimum of 5x5, so once i am easily getting 5-8 reps for 5 sets its time to up it

or

i start with much higher volumes, like aiming for 20 x 5, then 15 x 5, 10 x 5, 5 x 5 3x5, singles over 12 weeks or so, each time i acheive the required reps i move up, each cycle obviously i increase the weights

I guess the thing with adding weight is it all depends on the workout you're doing. It will be impossible to keep adding weight forever, eg if you lifting 80kg now and add 1 kg a fortnight which is 26kg a year, in 10 yrs of consistant lifting you will be lifting 340kg? and in 20yrs lifting 500kg???

So, in saying this I will increase the weight once i can push out 8 solid reps, if i can lift 5 or less reps i will drop the weight, this is for my current program. usually i will change by 2.5kg which is the smallest increment i can at the gym.

Although I don't bench I use a double progressive approach, weight and rep's every workout on all exercises.

Currently adding 2.5kg every 4 or 5 days, though this was after a deload and switch from 3x8 to 3x5 and I'm still a noob :p