• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

How much fish oil is ok?

My doc's confident, very popular in the practice and he's into fitness. At the end of the day you have to trust someone right, and if I've put my son's trust in him over the years....

BTW, isn't tuna cold water, ie. deep sea tuna?

Yes but I`m guessing he isn`t eating fresh tuna but canned.

My doc's confident, very popular in the practice and he's into fitness.

What kind of fitness? The sort of "fitness" that thinks walking is exercise?

What I'm trying to say is, commonly accepted points of view may be quite different from a BB's perspective. Eg. I googled for "recommended daily intake protein" and clicked on the 1st link (Protein - Better Health Channel.)

-----------
How much protein you need
The amount of protein you need in your diet depends on your weight, age and health. As a rough guide, the recommended dietary intake (RDI) for protein (measured in grams per kilogram of bodyweight) is:
  • 0.75g/kg for adult women
  • 0.84g/kg for adult men
  • Around 1g/kg for pregnant and breastfeeding women, and for men and women over 70 years.
So, for example, a 75kg adult male would need 63g of protein per day.
-----------

I eat 63g protein in 2 out of my 6 meals! And I weigh < 60kg. Just because the RDI for protein is ~63g per day doesn't mean we should all stick to that.

Re: fish oil caps - I do believe we need more than 1 per day - personally I would take at least 6 per day (1 with each meal).

My poor doc's copping a flogging! LOL

No, he runs as opposed to walking (nothing wrong with walking, one must walk before he can run) but no, he's not a body builder but a GENERAL PRACTITIONER.

Zarkov said:
Yes but I`m guessing he isn`t eating fresh tuna but canned.

He never recommended eating strictly tuna per say, either fresh or canned? I said seafood in general. I try to eat grilled fish of all sorts, bbq'ed swordfish steaks, squid, baby octopus and yes, now and then I pop open a can of tuna in springwater and have a couple of sandwiches for lunch.

I think he's point is to have a balance diet generally and supplement where needed.

Fair 'nuff :) didn't mean to flog your gp, but have heard lots of general advice from GPs that just doesn't mesh with BB (eg. the protein example i mentioned already)

Fair 'nuff :) didn't mean to flog your gp, but have heard lots of general advice from GPs that just doesn't mesh with BB (eg. the protein example i mentioned already)

Couldn't agree more, some are generally crap! This one's not too bad so he'll keep :D

Yeah, I once went to a GP saying I was lethargic all the time. He asked me what I was doing and I mentioned how I BB and rockclimb, generally 6 days per week. He then said "well you can't be that tired then!" Turns out that I was overtraining and a week or two of rest did me wonders...

An idiot doctor tried telling my mate that all the protein he was eating was going to blow out his kidneys.My mate ,pulling his hair out, tried to make him
see that 500 grams of protein rich foods was NOT 500 grams of protein.