• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Help shrek, and anyone else who wants to

tonyharrison

Hi all,

I'm new to this place so I’m just gonna post some details bout my self in the hope of getting some guidance. I’m 26yo, 185cm, 95 kg been going to the gym on/off for 8 years. Long time of going to the gym with not that much to show for it. I look like I have a decent build for a normal person but would like to reap more for the time and effort I put in. Always thought I had bad genetics for growth but now I think my approach has been wrong. I’ve always concentrated on good form and shocking techniques but have never really put up the amount of weight I use that much. One thing I’m determined to start doing is keep a training journal of the weight I use, exercises I do and take measurements, I’ve never done this before an just went off how I thought I looked in mirror. My goal at the mo is to gain 5kg muscle.

Here’s an idea of my current training schedule

Training

Day 1 :

Chest/Back

Bench x 5
Incline Dumbell press x 5
Pullovers x 5
Lat pulldown x 5
Bent over row x 5
Bent over dumbbell row x 5

All sets 8-10 rep with drop set on last

Day 2: 20-30mins cardio

Day3:

Shoulders/arms

Upright row x 4
Lateral raise x 4
Bent over lat raise x 4
Close grip bench x 5
Tricep pushdown x 5
Barbell curl x 5
Incline dumbbell curl x 5

All sets 8-10 rep with drop sets on last

Day4:

Legs

Standing calf x 8 (I know but I’m obsessed with calves)
Machine squat or leg press x 5
Hamstring curl x 5

Day 5: 20-30mins cardio

Day6: repeat

That’s a rough idea if what I’ve been doing for the past two months after a long time of doing only minimal weight training. I try to keep rest between sets to a minute or a minute n a half. Each session takes between hour n a hour n a half.

Diet:

Breakfast: 2 x eggs, two x grain bread, 100g tuna, 250mL skim milk

Snack: Protein shake Maxs WPI in 400mL skim milk poured into a bowl of bran

Lunch: 2 x tuna patties (bout 15g protein each) on toast with cheese, lettuce n tartare with glass of skim milk

Pre gym: bread or cereal plus a serve of no-xplode

Post gym; protein shake Maxs WPI with four plain biscuits (arrow root/nice etc)

Dinner: some kind of stir fry/past dish with plenty of chicken /beef 9say size of 2 decks of cards) with some kind of veg or salad

Snack: Maxs WPI protein shake in skim milk

I eat this every day I’m off work and try to stick as close to it as I can when I’m at work.

I work 12 hour shifts; working two days, then two night shifts then 4 days off. With up to an hour n a half travel each way makes it very hard to train on work days, especially with the volume I’m doing at the moment. So I want to start doing a lower the volume routine and start looking to increase strength and see if that works.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Last edited:
Hi Tony,

My advice would be to break up chest and back day, as they are both large muscle groups.
Also would suggest doing more on leg day.

Would also think you would do better getting these exercises into your workout:
Barbell squats
Deadlifts
BW+extra weight chin ups
BW+extra weight dips

Diet looks to be low calories, how many calories in that?
However, if you are holding that weight it might be ok.
But since you want to gain 5kg, you may need more calories.
I would prefer more solid meals and less protein shakes.
Can only see one decent meal in your diet, being dinner, and 2 small meals at breakfast and lunch.

More real food.

Doing chest and back on the same day may be too taxing when you increase the weights.

Chest/Shoulders/Triceps

Back/Biceps

Legs

Is much less taxing.

Edit: Hulk you beat me to the punch lol.

yeah im going to start doing a split much like that:

chest/shoulder/tri

back/bi

legs

the gym i use has no free weight squat rack and only one free weight bench press. so i can do dead lifts but can't do squats. i will start doing chins n dips as of now.

it does suck but the gym only costs $290 a year as oposed to like $1100 i was paying at fitness first, which is the only other decent gym in my area. if i can't get a decent workout i may go back to those bastards but il try to stick it out at this gym.

i have put on 2 or 3 kg on that diet but have slowed down so i'l try getting more in. i do use margerine on all my toast to pump up the calories. i haven't really counted up total calories as my dinner and lunch tends to vary a bit but i wil do this soon.

Last edited:
What, no power rack !!!

How heavy do the dumbbells go up to?
You can do squats with dumbbells.

What, no power rack !!!

How heavy do the dumbbells go up to?
You can do squats with dumbbells.

dumbells go up to 40kg, think my grip would fail well before my thighs.

there's heaps of machines in this gym but no squat rack which pisses me off. the amount of money they spent on numerous complicated machines when they could have bought a rack. oh well u get what u pay for I guess.

Substitute:

Bench press with Dumb-bell press or if there is no bench at all machines will have to do vertical chest press etc
Squats with dumb-bell squats or a squat machine (if your gym has machines it may have one)

Substitute:

Bench press with Dumb-bell press or if there is no bench at all machines will have to do vertical chest press etc
Squats with dumb-bell squats or a squat machine (if your gym has machines it may have one)

WTF Kindred, he said his gym has a bench press.
And he already does machine squat !!!

And someone just gave you a permanat job ???

WTF ?

hahaha...

anyway I do squats at home. I currently use a cabinet and the ledge of a book shelf to put the bar ends on and just duck underneath it, step back, and away I go. I have no money, but when there is a will, there is a way lol.

hahaha...

anyway I do squats at home. I currently use a cabinet and the ledge of a book shelf to put the bar ends on and just duck underneath it, step back, and away I go. I have no money, but when there is a will, there is a way lol.

thats a good idea, but my furniture is from ikea. i barely trust it to hold the dvd collection let alone a barbell loaded for squats.

i'm so out of condition too. did three sets of squats on the smith machine today (have been using the leg press up till now as am just gettin back into leg training). missues was watching me so i was going hard, i was screwed after the second, pushed out another set and had to leave the gym without doing the leg curls. guess i dont have to do too much too improve next session.

I'll have more to say later as I have to go now but.
How can you justify 10 sets on a small muscle like biceps
Barbell curl x 5
Incline dumbbell curl x 5
and only 5 sets for the large quad muscles?
Machine squat or leg press x 5
Think about it.

I'll have more to say later as I have to go now but.
How can you justify 10 sets on a small muscle like biceps and only 5 sets for the large quad muscles? Think about it.

sorry i wrote what i had been doing to give you a better idea of how i've spent, or wasted, my time in the gym in the past. i got a whole new program which i'e just started in the past couple of days. looks like:

chest/shoulder/tris

bench x 4
incline dumbell x 4
upright row x 3
shoulder press x 3
close grip benhc x 3

back/rear delt/bis

dead lift x 3
wide grip chins x 4
close grip chin x 4
seat bent over dumbell clean x 4
barbell curl x 3

legs

work in progress but aimng for somethin like

squats x 4
leg press x 3
dumbell lunge x 2
sldl x 2
leg curl x 3
standing calf x 4
reverse calf rasie x 3

alternating rep ranges between 4, 6, 8, 10 ,12 aiming to increase weight for each rep range.