• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

HELP! Clean Muscle Building Diet

B

blakeimage

G'Morning All,

Just registered after spending a bit of time reading posts - I would love some help building a solid, healthy and clean diet to aid muscle building if anyone has the time.

Some info about me;

Classic Hardgainer, spent most of my younger years skinnier than a rake. Have been hammering mass gainer shakes and other supplements to stack on size. Started out at 59kg, now weighing approx 77kg.

I'm looking for a CLEAN, HEALTHY diet that'll slam masses of muscle on me without fat getting out of control.

This is what I do currently...

Morning - 1 apple
10am - Mass gainer shake
12pm - Lunch (sandwich with salad) or something else
4pm - Mass Gainer shake
6-7pm - Training
7:30pm - Dinner
9pm - Mass Gainer Shake

with snacks and crap in between..

All these shakes certainly help with bulking, but i'm gaining unwanted fat around my waist that's hard to shake when i continue to take them everyday.

Training days are:

Monday - Chest/Back
Tuesday - Interval Training
Wednesday - Legs / Abs
Thursday - Interval Training
Friday OR Sunday - Shoulders / Arms

Supplements currently taken;

ON Real Gains (Strawberry)
Animal M-Stak (currently 2nd cycle)
Tri-Creatine Malate (no loading, just maintenance 5g per day)

Some help would REALLY be appreciated :)

I love my vegies, chicken, not a BIG fan of tuna but will eat it if needed..

[EDIT: oh! and I drink lots of water, everyday.. approx 3L)

Last edited:
Im sure you'll get some more full answers shortly, but atm looking at your diet you have some big gaps. Im also trying to build a good diet to aid my own muscle building, and a bit of reading on these forums has really assisted with this. Below are a couple of things i think you could start to look at :)

You've said an apple and mass gainer shake is all you have until 12? Between waking and 12 you should aim to get 2 small meals in there. A decent breakfast, and something solid along with your shake at 10.

You also do the same between 12 - 6, after your lunch you only have a shake until training.
By the look of your diet, i would say you struggle with your workouts? You don't seem to be putting enough into your body between lunch and your training to give you anything for your workout.

Again you should look to get another meal in mid arvo, maybe also look at increasing your lunch size. Is that a single sandwich you currently have?

You did mention snacks and crap between. Can you specify what this may be (it may cover the small meals im implying)? Or this may be a cause to your unwanted fat?

Also, you may want to have a read over Shrek's 20 tips to Mass Gains thread. Its a good read :)

Good luck.

Last edited:
Gday Danco,

Thanks very much for such a prompt response.

I do agree with all of your points and am certain that i should be getting ALOT more out of my diet - I just dont want to fill it with useless garbage.

The snacks I was referring to would be cans of coke, chips, salami sticks, yoghurt... those sorts of things.

Surprisingly, My workouts are always complete, and i'm left feeling pretty buggered. Strength gains are pretty constant, but i feel with a proper diet I could push myself alot more...

Thanks again!

Well a lot of the snacks are useless garbage. I personally cut coke out of my diet about 6-8 months ago, here n there i may have half a glass of coke zero, but i try to only drink water and milk in my shakes.

You're better off eating things like nuts, fruits, vegies, meats etc. Try to have vegies/salad with each meal of the day.
Try this link for a good read :)

It's good that your workouts are complete, but you could probably get a lot more out of it if your diet was more up to scratch.

Another thing you may want to look at is the Strength and Training area on the forums. Your current workout see's you doing 5 days worth of training straight.
There is a good beginners program which will have you doing 3 days worth of compound exercises a week, combine that with a couple cardio sessions and your set.

I've just started this program, so i won't comment too much, but after my first session i felt good. A couple of others are also doing this, you can check out the logs in the Member's Diaries area.

Have a good look round the forums and you'll find heaps of great information :)

Cheers,
Daniel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help so far guys, its great.

I've been lifting now for almost 2 years, and am really loving it. I want to push myself and really tidy up the diet...

I'm actually heading to thailand for a 3 week vacation as of Thursday so i'm working on a document to help me plan my shopping when I get back (supps and food). I might link it in here once im done and maybe you can provide me with some opinions on supplements / food choices..

Over n' Out,

Blake.

From 9pm till luch the next day all you have is an apple and a shake?
Dude,get some brekky into ya!And tons more food.Seriously that is sadly lacking.

So I thought about my shopping list for when I return from Holidays... This is what im considering - Input is appreciated where possible!

Supplements:
Creatine: Monohydrate or Tri-Creatine Malate... No loading, 5g per day
Gainer: Universal Real Gains - every day
Protein: ON 100% Gold Standard Whey - every day
Pre-Workout: naNO Vapor or Universal Torrent - training days
Post-Workout: Universal Storm - training days
Other: Animal M-Stak Paks - 3 weeks on, 1 week off
MultiVitamin: None (needed?)

Foods:
Chicken Breast
Lean Ground Beef
Brown Rice
Rolled Oats
Beans
Salad (Carrots, Lettuce, Capsicum, Cucumber)
Sweet Potato
Potato
Turkey
Cans of Tuna (not really a fan, any substitutes?)
Wholegrain Bread
Rice/Corn Crackers
Low-Fat Milk
Low-Fat Yogurt
Nuts (Almonds & Walnut)
Extra-Large Eggs
Cheese Slices
Sustagen (To drink throughout the day)

Anything i've missed? or should be including / discarding??

All those supps are going to be very expensive.
For your gainer Bioflex Biobulker works out much cheaper and is just as good imho. You are only getting 33 grams of protein out of a 155 gm serve from Universal Real Gains which costs you $4.75 if you buy 3.1kg.

Biobulker has 24 grams of protein from a 60 gm serve which costs you $1.48 per serve for a 4kg tub ($98). Even if you doubled your serving to 120 still works out cheaper, but with more protein and free postage too. Seems like a lot of fillers in URG imho.

I agree with the cost of supplements, but happy to pay the price if they work. TBH - i've been pretty impressed with Universal's products.

What do you mean by - Seems like alot of fillers in URG? What is URG?

Excuse the noobness ;) not up to speed on all the acronyms just yet...

BR

Ahhhh!

Understand now, maybe i'll try the other one you mentioned.

The question I had RE: gainers now was...

once my diet is cleaned up and im eating ALOT more... will I even need a gainer?!

What is a better option...

100% Gold Standard Whey?

Or buying non-flavoured 20kg bag of Protein WPC from ProteinDirect.com.au ?

Universal Real Gains , I cbf writing the whole name (whoops did it again) so just wrote that.

Hey Buddy..

Was that in response to my original question about what URG is? or would you recommend URG over ON 100% Gold Standard & Unflavoured Natural Protein?

The first one, I didnt know there was another page with posts.

Whey is great for when you are getting all of the carbs your body requires to bulk through diet.
My dies is not perfect. I eat healthy, just not enough so I use a bulker.

Im sure urg is a great product, but 155gm serve is massive compared to what bioflex recommends? Or is 155 the norm?

IMO get rid of the weight gainer shakes, they are crap. Start eating solid food for protein like beef, chicken, fish, eggs and dairy with each meal that you have. If you really want to gain strength and get bigger then eat a diet that is primarily made up of unproccessed foods, that is foods that don't come packaged and drink 4 Litres of milk a day.