• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

GOMAD or not?

smith squats are not a substitute for bb squats
with bb squats the bar does not travel directly up and down nor should it

That's not my understanding. I concentrate very carefully when free squatting to ensure the bar does go directly up and down. Here's a post by Fadi with some good information on the squat form:

Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding - View Single Post - Blbarclay on PTC's beginner program

It's all about that imaginary/invisible straight line that is drawn from where the bar sits on your shoulders to all the way down where it meets your mid foot. If that line is maintained, then you'd be lifting properly.

There's also a good vid of a Chinese lifter with good form a couple of posts earlier in that thread also posted by Fadi.

if you die squatting in the smith machine you deserve it.
if you cant lock out the squat why not turn the bar and lock it on the pins.

The point Silverback makes is a good one in that if you lose control the bar won't fall backwards away from your body, it will come straight down. I remember seeing a guy in a wheelchair on the news who broke his back squatting on a smith machine when he lost control and the bar snapped him in half. It does happen.

As for GOMAD? Not for me. I drink about 1ltr a day but add WPC to it to get my protein requirements. I drink a fair bit of water to keep me hydrated. But I'm 40 and your just starting, different physiologies so it might be just the ticket to get you to 70kg. I'm 168cm and almost 80kg.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited:
OK, when and stocked up on some milk. Starting GOMAD 2morro. Have taken before pics, will take pics 2 weeks in, and again at the end of my 4 week GOMAD stint........ If i make it that far lol