• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Full body Workout

K

kevkev123

Hey all!
Just before i get all serious with muscle talk i need to get some excitement out of me for tomorrow night:

GO QUEENSLAND!!! 3 in a row it will be.

Ok, so ive put together a full body workout i think i can live with and gain substantial strength over time, here goes:

Tuesday:
3 pull ups
Squat 3 sets of 10
Bench Press 3 sets of 10 (super set with 10 triceps dips in between sets)
Seated Dumbbell shoulder press 3 sets of 10
Seated Cable rows 3 sets of 10
Barbell Bicep Curl 3 sets of 10
Overhead triceps extension 3 sets of 10

Thursday:
3 pull ups
Squat 3 sets of 12
Incline Bench press 3 sets of 12
Dead lift 3 sets of 12 (super set with triceps dips)
Barbell Bicep curls 3 sets of 12
Seated Triceps press 3 sets of 12
3 sets of 10 push ups

Saturday:
Squats 4 sets of 6
Bench press 4 sets of 6
3 pull ups
3 sets of triceps dips
Seated dumbbell shoulder press 4 sets of 6
Standing Barbell Rows 4 sets of 6
Lying triceps extension 4 sets of 6

Hows that sound?
To make sure my body dosent adapt too easily i want to change up some exercises every 6 weeks or so.
Also how do the rep ranges look?
I'll also be doing sparring and heavy bag training 3 times a week.
Your thoughts please!

Hello Kev,

Inserting triceps work like this:
Bench Press 3 sets of 10 (super set with 10 triceps dips in between sets)
would make your bench poundage suffer as you'd be performing the pre-exhaust system backwards.

If you plan to go all out to failure with every set as some bodybuilders like to do, then a good recovery plan should also be part of your over all program. Recovery here would incorporate proper and enough eating; enough quality sleeping, a peace of mind, a positive attitude, and most importantly surrounding yourself by positive people who would encourage you instead of discourage you.

You can even do away with direct arm work for the first 6 weeks and add them later on as you get a proper feel for this program.

I wish you all the very best.

Fadi.

Also since Fadi brought up the supersetting, I would drop the supersets during deads they are hard enough to recover from neurally without adding an exercise in the rest period.

Personally I think you have too many exercises in there. Keep it simple with something like Starting Strength and do what Fadi said, add some direct arm work if you want a bit later on into the program. Also since you are a beginner changing up the exercises is not so important, you need to learn the lifts better and doing them constantly for 6 months will increase your motor learning potential and allow you to get your numbers up for the major lifts.

Cheers guys.
So no super sets, just the regular compounds. Got it.
Yeah im in a family of inspiration, i got my mum to loose 20kg, now shes 58kg (woot to her) and shes turned the entire house into a smaller set of the biggest looser.

What about the reps and sets? Were they appropriate? i know 1-6 is for power strength, 8-12 hypertrophy and 13+ for toning. I just dont wanna get bored by sticking to the same rep range week in and out.
If my main goal is strength then i should be fine with the rep range im going for?

i know 1-6 is for power strength, 8-12 hypertrophy and 13+ for toning.

Sadly you have read some crap that is abundant on the internet and through Joe Weiders magazines.

Power is the product of strength and speed it is enhanced by increasing maximal strength, speed and doing explosive and weighted explosive movements. You should not really be doing more than 6 reps for a power exercise as your speed will slow down by then, but you will be able to do more than that.

Strength is built by all those rep ranges and so is hypertrophy but once you start going over about 8-10 reps strength increases will be slower.

13+ for toning is utter crap, forget you heard it. As you get higher in reps you are working on strength endurance.

So it is lower reps for maximal strength and the higher you get for strength endurance, mid range of reps will increase your work time and therefore increase muscle growth (can be done by doing more sets) and you do faster explosive exercises for power increases.

No offense intended here but stop writing your own programs as you are a beginner and just take up a beginners program such as Starting Strength or the PTC Beginners program. Once you understand how to program strength training sessions (this will take a long time to master) then you can start using your own program, until then stick with the works of people who know what they are doing. It takes a long long time to understand the intricacies of lifting and you will learn as you lift and read but this will take time and by then you will be a strong guy who has followed smart programs from the start.