• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Etiquette between sets

lutrin

I'm guessing this is probably one of those asked-once-a-week questions, but what's the go with keeping hold of kit between sets.

If it wasn't barbell work I'd just jump off while I rest but it takes a couple minutes to set plates up. Takes me what, 10-20sec to finish a set and resting for 3-5 minutes?

So what's the etiquette here?

Work in with people or join a gym with lots of racks.

I have 8 squat racks at my gym, and even if they are all empty, I still train in 1 rack with up to 3 others.

Some days I come home, read ausbb and consider shooting myself
How do I diet?
How do I train
Do I build or demonstrate strength?
Is 5g a week a good cycle?
How much are you supposed to tip spotters? People seem insulted when I try to give them $5
Should I do smolov or sheiko or 531?

And yet you make it worse for yourself by clicking on something you know you won't want to read and take time to reply just so people know how much you didn't want to read it in the first place... glutton for punishment, eh?

Cheers Sticky.

I hold on to my bench or rack.
I work quickly between sets so no time for another person to jump in.
I just say sorry," I work quick".

Going by that response you're a reasonably smart fellow, and probably witty as hell, so it's a bit confusing as to why you'd make this thread
Stop worrying about other people and focus on your own training

Going by that response you're a reasonably smart fellow, and probably witty as hell, so it's a bit confusing as to why you'd make this thread
Stop worrying about other people and focus on your own training

Ok, fair point demands a fair response.

I asked it because I prefer not to be a selfish dick in a communal facility.

If you see someone curling in the squat rack when you want to use it, remember they're not trying to piss you off, they just don't know any better. I only know it's a dick move myself because everyone keeps posting about it and if leaving your shit on the bench/rack is douchey the first I'm likely to know about it is some angry bloke going off at me.

I can google programs and diet and all that crap, but this is much more easily answered just by asking a bunch of people who know.

And yet you make it worse for yourself by clicking on something you know you won't want to read and take time to reply just so people know how much you didn't want to read it in the first place... glutton for punishment, eh?

Cheers Sticky.

Hahaha... Boom

I just judge it by how busy the gym is. If I see someone who looks like they want the rack I'm using, I'll ask if they want to jump in, or if there's hardly anyone around, I'll just hold onto it and take my time.

I've never really thought about this.. I would usually hold the piece of equipment until I'm finished my sets, keeping in mind that other people would want to use it so I get it done without mucking around.

In saying that I would not have an issue with someone else asking to jump on and do a set between my own sets (Usually my training partner and I alternate working sets and resting). I train at 5.30am to avoid the crowds so I've never really needed to worry about sharing :p

I have no issue holding up the rack. Would be max 30 mins anyway. People shouldn't go to a commercial gym expecting a rack to be ready and free each time. Buy your own if that's your attitude.

Just do what you need to do in there and get out and only use the racks if necessary.

resting for 3-5 minutes?

That's the problem if you are training by yourself. 3-5 minutes if its a 3 person rotation.

I would not be impressed if you did a set for 20 seconds and then sat around for 5 minutes.

That's nearly 30 minutes to do 2 minutes of exercise.

True, but what I've heard suggested is "rest as long between sets as required so that you're not struggling to do 5 reps of something that you can do 5 reps of with good form when you're fresh".

That seems to take me three or four minutes, with squats at least. Less time with benching, deadlifts aren't an issue (because I'm only doing one set) and I'm still learning the other two lifts in the program I'm doing so resting isn't an issue.

That's the problem if you are training by yourself. 3-5 minutes if its a 3 person rotation.

I would not be impressed if you did a set for 20 seconds and then sat around for 5 minutes.

That's nearly 30 minutes to do 2 minutes of exercise.

What do you squat?

5mins is my MINIMUM between sets.

On heavy squats and deads 15mins is not uncommon

I'm 5 minutes minimum between heavy sets also. Sometimes with 2-3 people it takes us a good 45 mins for 1 exercise.

I've never really thought about this.. I would usually hold the piece of equipment until I'm finished my sets, keeping in mind that other people would want to use it so I get it done without mucking around.

In saying that I would not have an issue with someone else asking to jump on and do a set between my own sets (Usually my training partner and I alternate working sets and resting). I train at 5.30am to avoid the crowds so I've never really needed to worry about sharing :p

I just judge it by how busy the gym is. If I see someone who looks like they want the rack I'm using, I'll ask if they want to jump in, or if there's hardly anyone around, I'll just hold onto it and take my time.

these two sum it up perfectly for me... if theres other racks then you can bugger off this one is mine. If they're all taken and someone clearly wants it then ill offer to let then work in with me..

It seems odd that "bodybuilding training" requires rest periods of anything more than 2-3 minutes.. maybe this should have gone in a more general sub-forum.

If you have the rack, you don't let it go until you're finished with it.

Sure, if you are doing squats and someone wants to do pullups in between your sets, then why not let them do it. However, I don't think there is any etiquette.

First come, first serve.

When I didn't have a home gym set up, I would wait for equipment to free up and then hold it till my sets were done.

Although I used to train with a buddy or two.