• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Eating calorie deficient for long periods, harmful to metabolism?

tablespoon of stevia across 6 of the choc muffins, none in the pumpkin ones

Is there artificial sweetener in your protein?

that means no. no artificial sweetener. stevia is a herb, all natural.

I'm on 100mg zoloft and stopping simply ain't an option. thyroid is 1.8 which is low but not low enough for anyone to give a shit. thinking of going to an endocrinologist.

xwifey, yes, go and see an endocrinologist. what you're eating every day wouldn't keep me going and i'm a munchkin. there may be other stuff at play. might be hormonal, enzymes, anything. at least get it checked out properly.
how the hell can you do strongman training living on air, practically??

I dropped 34kgs in 7 or so months eating between 1600-1800 calories mostly protein & fats with very little carbs.It worked for me but also did notice that in the last month didn't matter how hard I trained or stayed at 1600 cals progress grinded to a halt which I think was metabolism related due to staying at high deficit for so long.

Went from 125kgs to 91kgs & stayed at that weight for most of that last month.
So yeah,I do think you can majorly slow down your metabolism with prolonged cal deficit after losing heaps of weight.

xwifey, yes, go and see an endocrinologist. what you're eating every day wouldn't keep me going and i'm a munchkin. there may be other stuff at play. might be hormonal, enzymes, anything. at least get it checked out properly.
how the hell can you do strongman training living on air, practically??

I'm going to get a referral tomorrow. I'm really over it. For as long as I've been trying (a year now) I've only lost 4-5kgs. Got off the pill to see if that would help things - didn't, just made me much more fatigued beginning and mid cycle. I get chronic SSRI discontinuation syndrome (verging on a PANES diagnosis) so zoloft is pretty much not negotiable either.

BAH.

I'm in a shit mood today.

Hmmmmm I am thinking I might have to go and look into this a little more, as something just doesn't seem right....

I guss first step would be getting bloods done and see where things are at and then taking it from there?

Hmmmmm I am thinking I might have to go and look into this a little more, as something just doesn't seem right....

I guss first step would be getting bloods done and see where things are at and then taking it from there?

You probably need to talk to a good nutritionist rather than tackle this alone.

You probably need to talk to a good nutritionist rather than tackle this alone.

Yeah i am thinking you could be right.... Would a nutritionist be the best person for this though?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations of a good nutritionist to see in the south eastern suburbs melbourne?

Or i was thinking see someone like this http://bodyologystudio.com.au/ where i can get and accurate BF measure, metabolism analysis and then see a nutritionist.

Last edited:
Another option would be to try a reverse diet.

You need to be really strict with counting calories though.

Start at 1500 cals with a constant protein amount (160-180g approx).

Every week increase carbs by 10g
Increase fat by 5g every fortnight

If you do that over 3-4 months your body's metabolism should recover slowly without too much fat gain. You should find your weight will remain constant for most of the time, until finally it'll start gaining slowly. Which means you should find your new maintenance when you're up around 2200-2500ish.

Basically your maintenance due to hormones or metabolism is low.. and by moving it upwards slowly.. it'll adjust instead of trying to fight it..so you're just leading it up slowly until it reaches normal levels.

Individual component. As I always say, be weary of other peoples dogma and willingness to tell you "how it's done".

Prolonged caloric deficit can have a negative impact hormonally (read: leptin et. al.) as well as cutting into LBM which has ramifications down the track with gaining weight.

Contrarily, being overweight and carrying excessive fat negatively impacts your hormones, so let's not be hasty on that.

Go into deficit for as long as it works for you. Whether that's 2 weeks or 2 months. Refeeds or "diet breaks" can help out when under caloric deficit for longer periods of time.

As for what amount of calories, formulas like the schofield can help guide you but ultimately you'll find out through trial and error. For example I have moved from 87kg to 95kg in 4.5 months on 3000 calories a day. If you'd pump that into a formula like the aforementioned it would tell me i'd need well over the amount to gain steadily. If i'd have followed that I'd have put on a lot more fat than necessary. Similarly I cut at about 1800-2000 for short periods of time. If I have gained too much body fat I'll have a 2 week period of just lean greens and proteins (1300-1500 calories) which is a nightmare but really strips bodyfat (a good 1.5-2kg of it). If you can avoid gaining fat in the first place you won't have to go through these cycles though. It's best to maintain a certain body fat for the majority of the year, then when it comes to a time you'd like to lean out a little further you've got a lot less calorie cutting to do. Unfortunately the bulk-cut cycle is a vicious bodybuilder one!

People often look for scape goats when the weight won't come off "oh you're probably not eating enough, that's why you're not losing weight you need to stoke that fire". Rubbish. Go on a reefed temporarily then back into deficit.

i ate 1500 and lifted for a 3 months. Didnent even loose a KG. bumped up to 1800, Same thing, Now at 2000 and same thing.

Only thing thats worked for me in the past, 97 down to 73 was running...And running...and some more running, ANd hours of kickboxing, NEver lifted of counted cals either.

My dexa scan came out for me to eat about 1900,

Im back to about 89 KG now, Lifting on and off but getting quite strong, Always had a solid frame but even when i was 73kg i had a high BF%

I think eating a good ammount and reducing cals from exersise is much better then jsut eating under maint all the time.

Sorry for being so late on this one guys...

But I've now got nothing to add.

The lower the calorie intake, the lower the metabolic function is. You can have a too large of a deficit/caloric intake.

As Dave mentioned, having regular ''diet breaks'' especially if the plan is to re-comp or you have a long term weight loss goal, will only be of benefit for hormonal function and therefore RMR.

Fat, too much, no such thing! Unless it takes away from sufficient intake of the other macro's depending on your training, body composition and overal function requirements.

OK, thanks guys, for all the feedback, due to some family issues I am taking some time off diet so i am not counting Cal's or worrying about what I eat, if i feel like some take out or can't be bothered cooking then I will have whatever, if i can be bothered cooking I will try to have something healthy but nor too fussed, but I a continuing training which is good.

So i will do this for a couple of weeks, rethink the macros and diet and resest for the run into summer and the warmer months.

Once again thanks for everyones help and feedback and you will no doubt get some questions when I reset my diet and goals.