• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Does anyone here make/ consume kefir/kimchi/sauerkraut etc?

The heat dosent effect the pro biotics?

I just ust got my hands on some good raw organic sauerkraut, was planning on just having it cold next to my chicken breast and vegie puree.

I think over a certain temperature, it would. not sure what temp though. probably have to google that.
live cultures can live in the gut so has to be OK at up to around 38C or so.

I usually eat it cold though. partly due to laziness!

Is this how you make sauerkraut?
http://nourishedkitchen.com/homemade-sauerkraut/

Also, due to my tightassness what can I use instead of buying antique mason jars? I have a head of cabbage sitting in the fridge, just begging to be saurkrauted.

you won't live forever as a wanderlust yoga bendy hippie if you don't use the mason jars :p

this is a really good guide with more info that the above link (although it's fairly on the money).

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...on-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193124

you won't live forever as a wanderlust yoga bendy hippie if you don't use the mason jars :p

this is a really good guide with more info that the above link (although it's fairly on the money).

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...on-jar-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-193124
A wanderlust yoga bendy hippie? That is an all new phrase according to my impressionable innocent mind, so I must investigate this further!

Cheers muchly for the link, it sounds hell easy to make doesn't it? I bet my parents have one of them jars hiding somewhere so I'm going to go there now and sponge it off them lmao..

I think over a certain temperature, it would. not sure what temp though. probably have to google that.
live cultures can live in the gut so has to be OK at up to around 38C or so.

I usually eat it cold though. partly due to laziness!

Just tried some cold next to my chicken breast and veg puree, was quite nice.......

A wanderlust yoga bendy hippie? That is an all new phrase according to my impressionable innocent mind, so I must investigate this further!

Cheers muchly for the link, it sounds hell easy to make doesn't it? I bet my parents have one of them jars hiding somewhere so I'm going to go there now and sponge it off them lmao..

haha don't go there!

any good clean large jar will do. Probably good if it has a wide opening. preserving jars are good for this sort of thing. glass is always best if fermenting.

i basically eat root vegetables and don't peel them or wash too much, for the soil actives.

our gut flora is much like soil microbes than anything else... seems to make sense, and has helped my gut problems.

also alot of tumeric on most cooked things eaten (and a little cayanne pepper), is my approach.

im very sensitive to things, so i can't eat yogurt or drink cultures (unless its beer :p )

Oh, I use natural pot set yoghurt from various local brands as well from the shops, farmers union being one of them. But I have a Easy-Yo system, which is like a keep-warm flask that you fill with water and the yoghurt making container goes into it for incubation. Would this work for 24hr yoghurt? If so I would like to know your technique! Much cheers in advance.
I do have an Easy- Yo, but it won't give you the results I'm referring to here, i.e. a 24 hours yogurt that is devoid of lactose and has an unbelievably dense number of good bacteria coming from my two favourites, namely: Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. Notice the name "thermo"? These two goodies favour heat, a temperature around the high 40s and up to 50 degrees Celsius.

luvelo_ad[1].jpg

With the Luvelo, I set it on 47 degrees for a whole 24 hours period. I was brought up on plenty of the Bulgaricus bacteria, which as the name suggests, it was discovered in Bulgaria by a Bulgarian doctor back in the day.

Number of good bacteriain the 24 hours yogurt:
a concentration of 3 billion cfu/ml.

That is to say that a 250g cup of this mighty yogurt would have a total of 750 billion live, well, and kicking bacteria. Now compare that to your store bought probiotics, with its dormant (maybe alive may be not) bacteria of about 15 billion per capsule.

just saw this after I posted myquestion.

interested to learn how you do it.

i really would like to eat yogurt, but my gut dosent like dairy right now.

Uncertain in if it is the lactose, or the A1 casien that irritates my gut, buthave avoided it just i case.

my first brew of kefir water will be ready in 2 days, and I have found someunpasteurised sauerkraut locally for a good price.
"Apha-s1is the major casein protein present in cow milk and has been identified as oneof the major cow milk allergens. By contrast the major casein in goat milk isß-casein, and alpha-s2 casein is the main alpha
casein present."

What is your method Fadi? Quite interested.

1. In a saucepan, add 1L of milk and turn on low heat. I use long life, (don't believe people who insist on fresh blah blah blah and how dead the UHT milk is OK).
2. When the temp reaches between say, 44 and 47, turn off the heat.
3. I use this laser thermometer for two reasons, more hygienic, and more accurate than my pinky finger.

71te6Z+fUHL._SY355_[1].jpg

4. Scoop out about 100ml of the milk, add one tablespoon of yogurt to it. I like to use the magic bullet blender to insure full dispersion of the live yogurt bacteria within the milk.
5. After blending for about 2 seconds, add back to the saucepan and stir for another 2 seconds before transferring to that glass container that comes with your Luvelo "incubator".

Do not add any form of milk powder to the above for extra creaminess etc. Our aim is to have our two bacteria cultures feed upon all the lactose that is present in the milk, giving them more would defeat the purpose big time! So they will feed on the lactose and poop out some good and tangy tasting lactic acid. I like my yogurt to be really tangy, not really creamy as is found here in the west.

Heating yogurt would most definitely destroy/kill off all your good bacteria.

6. When the Luvelo alarm sounds after the 24 hour period, place the freshly made yogurt in your fridge for about 8 hours to really thicken up.
7. Never simply place a spoon in your fresh yogurt (after the 8 hours in the fridge) and leave it at that. You have to stir the whole thing or you will end up with a separation of whey, in the form of that yellowish looking liquid,...the stuff WPI & WPC are made of! Whey protein (if you didn't know) protects us from the ill effect of casein with its high igf-1 stimulation (which feeds cancer cells). Whey is good; casein powder on the other hand would never be seen on my radar at any time.

8. Enjoy!

Last edited: