• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Diet Help

Oxi

Hi there. I've been reading through this forum seeking diet advice recently, and I've noticed most threads have been given positive advice/feedback, so I thought I'd make my own.

A little info on myself:

Age-19
Weight-71.5kg
Height-173cm

Just recently started working out seriously for the first time in my life, so I thought it'd be sensible to start with something like Rippetoe's. Following it to the letter, as follows:

Workout A:
Squat-3x5
Bench Press-3x5
Deadlift-1x5
2x8 Dips

Workout B:
Squat-3x5
Standing Military Press-3x5
Bent Over Barbell Rows-3x5
2x8 Chinups (narrow supinated grip)

Week 1:
Mon: Workout A
Tue: Rest
Wed: Workout B
Thu: Rest
Fri: Workout A
Sat: Rest
Sun: Rest

Week 2
Mon: Workout B
Tue: Rest
Wed: Workout A
Thu: Rest
Fri: Workout B
Sat: Rest
Sun: Rest

Rotating between weeks 1 & 2.

DIET is also very consistent, as follows:

8:00am Breakfast: 2 slices multigrain toast, 20g low fat cream cheese, 2 boiled egg, 15ml tomato sauce

11:00am PWO shake: 30g ON 100% whey, 375ml low fat milk, 1 banana, 100g no fat yogurt, 20g peanut butter

2:00pm Lunch: 4 slices multigrain bread, 40g low fat cream cheese, 95g tin tuna (drained)

5:00pm Afternoon snack: 2 slices multigrain bread, 20g low fat cream cheese, 100g turkey, 15g mustard

8:00pm Dinner: 1/2 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup green beans, 250g chicken breast, 15g mustard

10:30pm Casein shake: 30g ON 100% casein, 375ml low fat milk, 1 banana, 100g no fat yogurt, 20g peanut butter

So far I haven't felt the need to snack/change anything from above, though I've only been eating like this for a week. Prior to this meal plan I would regularly skip breakfast, snack on junk, and generally just eat whatever.

I know this meal plan probably isn't great, but it is a huge improvement on what I've been used to, and I look forward to improving it further. I would appreciate any advice/opinions on what to change, and the goods/bads/whatever. My main concern is the shitload of bread I'm currently eating, though I'm not entirely sure if that's such a big problem. My goal from all of this is to gain as much muscle as possible, so with that in mind.. let me hear your opinions!

Eat more: Steak, milk, rolled oats, pasta, sweet potato, rice

Lay off the bread

Skip the bread altogether, brown rice and pasta are better if you want to put on size. Plus it is way easier to eat 200gm of rice or pasta then 200gm of bread, and the fat content of bread is much higher, gram for gram.

For the PWO shake, try 60-80gm of oats instead of the banana, yoghurt and peanut butter.

Last edited:
I have noticed a lot of people on this forum have milk with their Whey protein which is unusual because WPI is expensive and you are turning it into casein. Great at bed time though.

Milk is a casein protein and forms a gel in the stomach like calcium caseinate / micellar casein etc. You get a very slow release of amino acids for up to 13 hours (calcium caseinate). Whey Protein (WPC) is made up of mainly peptides and poly peptides (long chains of amino acids 50- 100) and WPI and HWPI has a lot more di, tri and oligo peptides as result of hydrolysis which are quickly taken up and utilized. Milk + Whey = GEL which consumes everything including smaller peptides = slow release.

Milk is a casein protein and forms a gel in the stomach like calcium caseinate / micellar casein etc. You get a very slow release of amino acids for up to 13 hours (calcium caseinate). Whey Protein (WPC) is made up of mainly peptides and poly peptides (long chains of amino acids 50- 100) and WPI and HWPI has a lot more di, tri and oligo peptides as result of hydrolysis which are quickly taken up and utilized. Milk + Whey = GEL which consumes everything including smaller peptides = slow release.

I thought it formed a curd, not gel. Any way the body utilises proteins based on peptide size and I'm sure 6g of casein isn't going to slow down 25g of whey. It's all just a suspension of different peptide lengths in the stomach and I have a feeling the "gel" isn't going to "consume" everything. hahah

I could be wrong about all this but this is just the way I see it. :rolleyes:

My Biochemist told me this years ago, and I have read many articles regarding this topic. Try having some WPI in milk 30min before training and see how you feel. I know how if feels for me. Blahh lol