• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Brachialis pain (I think), when pressing

McKwl

Overloaded Member
It's the outside of the upper left arm - between the bis and tris, basically. It persists for some time, once I've done some pressing (happened the last three times now).

Really messing with the presses (bench and overhead). Also, I'm a bit worried it could be something worse than just a minor, temporary hassle.

Doesn't seem to affect pulling at all, which is odd.

Should I just go see a doc, or is it something that'll go away if I stop pressing for a while (or stop lifting for a while...?) - do you think? :confused:

It's the outside of the upper left arm - between the bis and tris, basically. It persists for some time, once I've done some pressing (happened the last three times now).

Really messing with the presses (bench and overhead). Also, I'm a bit worried it could be something worse than just a minor, temporary hassle.

Doesn't seem to affect pulling at all, which is odd.

Should I just go see a doc, or is it something that'll go away if I stop pressing for a while (or stop lifting for a while...?) - do you think? :confused:

Can be issues with your shoulder (nerve) or just a mild strain or repetitive stress issue.

You should get yourself checked for strength and flexibility balance issues. You can do this yourself. DB presses, try a machine ohp one handed and see how you go.

Check for shoulder internal rotation ability and rotator cuff strength. Make sure you are locking in the shoulders on lifts properly.

Do you squat lowbar at all?

Also some shoulder mobility work pre training may help you long and short term.

This is the exact injury I got about 5-6 weeks ago...I stubbornly (stupidly) pushed through the pain and it got worse...I'm now unable to bench, o/h press, dip...
I went to the physio 3 times last week, she pressed parts of my rotator cuff and I got referred pain down the arm....I got massage, acupuncture and it's already alot better. I will be able to re-start with light pressing in another week or so.

I'd be pretty careful with this one mate...

If you have very poor internal rotation ability at the shoulder it can cause issues as Dicko pointed out. Low bar squats put your shoulder into internal rotation and if you don't hold it properly you can put it under load in this position.

Usually if it is the squat position you will feel it during/after squats. You can also irritate it easily in chins if you are heavy. Need to strengthen your rotator cuff, fix internal rotation issues and strengthen the whole arm.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info, guys. Really appreciate the help. And actually yeah, I have just started teaching myself low bar squats recently, and it only just occurred to me today it could be that - a kind of tendinitis(?) from incorrect squat technique.

I watched a Rippetoe video on bar placement and grip a couple of hours ago, and I think I've had the bar too low, my grip too wide, and my elbows too low. D'oh.

The pain struck on the negative (of the bench press, first rep), towards the lower part of the RoM. But it continued for the rest, which wasn't much - I actually went to full failure quite embarrassingly (didn't exactly drop it, but even so), but thankfully, had a spotter for once (knew I might need one).

I did bench first, and the pain didn't seem to affect either the pulling or the squatting (oddly). The pain wasn't even really there much for those.

It's subsided before even a full day, again. But I'm aware that I might still need a break, or whatever. I do tend to be "stoic" about most shit IRL. :rolleyes: But if need be, I'll do whatever it takes.

edit: I have also been doing heavy chins (for my strength levels), going for sets of 5, then 5+. Would that be too much intensity, potentially? I do bodyweight pullups and chins as well, but maybe it's another risk factor.

Last edited:
Well, I've taken a whole week off lifting now, missing three sessions, including today's. :(

Thing is, the "niggle" is still there, on and off. Mostly, I'm really pissed off at myself. Also, a bit worried that it won't go away.

Would like to get back into lifting, but I'm not sure that's wise at all.