• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Bodybuilding and strength

Ange is easily one of my fav Aust bodybuilders. Powerlifter AND bodybuilder!!

There really is nothing as frustrating as a weak bodybuilder. Why would you want to be larger than average, but not overly strong?

My comment was directed to PB regarding another thread about retarded goals..

I think bodybuilding without strength ='s a retarded goal..

You guys have to understand that bodybuilding is about looking the best you can and powerlifting/strength sports is about being as strong as you can.

I agree that bodybuilders should train with heavy weights/low reps sometimes through the season but at the end of the day if they look like Phil Heath but can't deadlift 200kg's who cares...its bodybuilding...they don't get judged on how strong they are.

I think the point that should be made is how heavy weights make your muscles look as a bodybuilder - i.e thicker, denser muscle - which is what you need on stage.

Most young people want results now, they go to the newsagency, grab the muscle and fiction magazines and try to look like the bloke with the big floppers and no back using the workouts listed in it.
Posted via Mobile Device

So basically what you're saying PB is look the part yeh! Couldn't agree more.

Fadi.

Yes!! If you want to look like Frank Zane...

Frank%20Zane.jpg

that's good. if you want to look like Lee Priest....

1_Kopie_20von_20Lee_20Priest_205.jpg

that's cool!

Let me introduce you guys to my favorite bodybuilder and arguably the best bodybuilder trainer of our time, Milos Sarcev. Milos has trained many world class bodybuilders including Hide. In Milos' "secrets of the pros' DVD he gives training advice on all muscle groups. His training tips are not "Go as heavy as you can" they are more along the lines of, go light enough that you can have perfect form and hit the muscle deep within the muscle belly. He shocks his muscles into growth with different techniques like ultra slow reps, drop sets, and his famous Giant sets.

There has been some talk that you must train as heavy as possible to have a full/dense muscle look. I disagree, I believe that both ways work. Before you all go crazy in google looking up Milos' max lifts etc to try and prove me wrong. Yes I'm sure he is strong, and I'm sure he lifts heavy, but the main philosophy of his training is to make sure the muscle is hit properly with highish reps, and build intensity through other means such as shorter breaks etc.

I think he should have won this Olympia, and I believe he has the perfect physique with very full looking muscles..... And he trains light :)

Attachments

• milos.jpg
    milos.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 33
Craft - I have used some of Milos training methods and they are great...me and a mate used to do giant sets and they were bloody killer!

I think for me the whole lifting heavy thing is more focus towards natural lifters - I hate to play the natural V non-natural card ...coz I really don't give a shit....but I think its important for a natural bodybuilder to have more heavy weights/low reps/sets within there training - look at most of the best naturals in the world and alot of there training is focused around heavy lifting - i.e 2-4 sets x 4-6 reps...the program itself is still set up like a traditional bodybuilding program.

I think mixing that in with methods that Milos does is a perfect mix.

I'll try and find some of my old giant set training programs - pretty intense lol

Personally for a BB I think once you have a good strength base hitting a major movement heavy and then doing assistance work (higher reps, drop sets, super slow reps, yada yada) is a good method to make sure you get full growth. Same idea with splits I have no problem with a lifter using a split as long as they are at a point where it is more beneficial to them, it allows these methods to be used to their full potential BUT I still believe a heavy major lift for lower reps is still needed. I doubt many people on here are at this level yet though.

There are plenty of "bodybuilders" at my gym - guys who train light & easy and pose in front of the mirror but have never been on stage. Their physiques are as impressive as their weak lifts.

There's only one real bodybuilder there. He told me he won the 2008 Australian comp in the 70-sth kg class. That fella trains heavy AND high reps. He told me he's squatted 180kg x8 at his best. I've seen him squat 150kg 3x5, benched 110kg x8 and deadlifted 160kg 3x10 while he was cutting. He's competing again this October. His physique is similar to Lee Priest. Very short fella, maybe 5'1" or 5'2", but built like a mini-tank.

I did Giant sets all week last week mate... tough is an understatement.

I can definitely see the benefit of training for a bit of a strength base first. But over the last couple of years I've added close to 20kg's to my frame (naturally), without any specific strength training and only doing splits. I recently decided to see how much I could deadlift and within a month or so pulled a 220kg 1 rep max (nothing extraordinary, but not bad if your not training for it). In my opinion, if you are training the muscles to be strong with high reps, then this can translate to strength in lower reps with a bit of muscle adaption.

Milos and Yates, who has won more Sandows, who lifts the most weight? I can chuck Ronnie in if you want. Those guys that won the fluff comps only did so because the Mr O's only ever competed in the big shows, that Milos never ever placed in, I stand to be corrected if he ever placed at the O.

Wanna be the best, learn from the best, go and watch Blood and Guts, even powerlifters go DAMN when they watch Yates train.

Anyway, there is no right answer, I was merely showing people that lifting heavy weights wont ruin their BB physiques

For me its pretty black and white, and it's easier for me to keep it that way,

The heavier you lift, the bigger you get......

The best leg building movement, is the squat.....

The best chest building movement, is the bench.....

The best back and overall movement, is the deadlift......

NO 1 way is perfect for everyone,and everything has merit, but i believe theres a reason we compete with the big 3 (bench , squat and deadlift)

There the best, the staples for bodybuilding and the moves used to judge strength in powerlifting.

I JUST DID A 85KG TRICEP PULLDOWN,,,,ha ha.

Makes a heap of sense chrisp.Is that how you did it? My lifts are getting heavier but i dont seam to be getting bigger,only been 3 months so heaps to do.