• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Advice

Gnoop

Okay, so I have lost 30kg over 12 months and got my BF down to 16%. I know I probably lost a lot of muscle in losing that weight, so I am now ready to start building.
I was doing quite a bit of cardio, with two days of weights, on a calorie deficit. I have been on maintenance calories for about a month and am now ready for muscle gain.
I have been using the following routine roughly developed from the beginners thread. I have been increasing weight as soon as I can complete 3x8 reps.

5min warm up skipping.

Bench Press
Dead Lift
Chin Ups
Squats
Dip Station
Bent Over Row
Shoulder Press (Dumbell)
Bicep Curls (Dumbell)

I have dropped most of my cardio and now do this routine 3 times a week. I have upped my calorie intake by around 250 cals per day, and will keep increasing until I am gaining around a kilo a month.
My long term goal is to add around 8kgs of lean muscle, so I will probably have to add 5kg, then up cardio to lose some fat, then repeat as necessary.
Does anyone see any major flaws in this cunning plan? Is this selction of excersises okay? Any advice welcome. Cheers
Gnoop

8 exercises every session seems like a lot, especially if you're doing 3x8
I'd stick to 2-3, maybe 4 exercises a session and beat the shit out of them. Something like

Monday
Squat
Bench
Barbell row

Wednesday
Squat
Press
Chin-ups/lat pulldown

Friday
Squat
Dips
Deadlift
Arms

Thanks Oni. That arrangement would suit me fine. Being on the wrong side of forty it would give me more recovery time. But do you think that is sufficient regularity of excersise to allow for decent muscle growth? I guess my question is; are two (hard) workouts on a muscle group per week enough to stimulate muscle gain? Cheers

It depends entirely on the volume
Personally, I think 3x8 is erring on the side of caution and assumes that you suck as a human being lol. I'd shoot for a 6-8RM (won't always be a record just what you can do on the day) and then back off 5-10% in weight and do sets of 6-8 reps until you're done on that exercise. 3x8 seems very restrictive

There is also significant overlap on each workout for each bodypart so I wouldn't worry about hitting each body part twice a week as you hit them every session. I guess you could replace the press with incline bench

Okay, so I have lost 30kg over 12 months and got my BF down to 16%. I know I probably lost a lot of muscle in losing that weight, so I am now ready to start building.
I was doing quite a bit of cardio, with two days of weights, on a calorie deficit. I have been on maintenance calories for about a month and am now ready for muscle gain.
I have been using the following routine roughly developed from the beginners thread. I have been increasing weight as soon as I can complete 3x8 reps.

5min warm up skipping.
Bench Press
Dead Lift
Chin Ups
Squats
Dip Station
Bent Over Row
Shoulder Press (Dumbell)
Bicep Curls (Dumbell)

I have dropped most of my cardio and now do this routine 3 times a week. I have upped my calorie intake by around 250 cals per day, and will keep increasing until I am gaining around a kilo a month.
My long term goal is to add around 8kgs of lean muscle, so I will probably have to add 5kg, then up cardio to lose some fat, then repeat as necessary.
Does anyone see any major flaws in this cunning plan? Is this selction of excersises okay? Any advice welcome. Cheers
Gnoop

First of all congrats on loosing the weight, TBH i can't see alot wrong with your program. I'd start at 8 reps and go to 12 then increase weight. Also make sure you can complete all reps with perfect form before you add extra weight. Sounds basic I know but 95% of all people i see at the gym sacrifice form for weight.