• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.
Hey guys, just thought I'd introduce myself. My name is Doug, I'm 29, 180cm and 86kg. I've been lifting weights on and off for a few years but recently have got a bit more serious about it. I always seem to get right into the gym for a month or two but then something else will come along in my life and I'll focus my attention on that (such as a project car or something - yep I'm also into cars).

More recently I have really concentrated on getting my diet right and lifting 3x6 reps of heavy weights instead of the 3x10 that I used to do. I've added legs to my workout as I never used to work legs however my knees aren't that great from work so I'm taking it easy with squats for the time being.

I don't want to get into it too much in my introduction thread but I feel I've plateaued recently on things like bench press & military press. I'm stuck on 85kg and 50kg respectively. And I'm not gaining weight anymore.

From what I've read on the forum I just need to eat my way through this plateau..... I ate to the point of being uncomfortable for a few weeks a while ago and shot up to 90kg but I felt too full all the time and went back to my normal diet and the weight just fell off again.

I eat a lot of tuna, oats, red meat, protein powder, milk, and mainly drink water although on weekends I'll usually have pizza and a few beers etc. So maybe I should chuck in a few 'not so healthy' calorie dense foods during the week???

Anyway, I'm looking forward to gaining even more valuable information from this site, cheers.

Hi from Perth

Hi all

- Name - Ben
- Age - 29
- Weight - 78kg
- Gender - M
- Location - Perth
- Training experience (if you have any that is) - Started in 1999/2000 and trained on and off for about 6 years. Then took a bit of a break and continued the on off training till about 8 weeks ago. 8 weeks ago decided to go 3 times a week regularly and have been keeping to it. Here's looking to a good year :)
- Any Interests - music, aquariums, my dogs, cars, whiskey, cigars, food

All the training I did previously had either been programs written for me or my own programs from research on the net. However whilst a couple seemed to work, I was too inconsistent and didnt progress as far as I could have.

Recently, I have taken up the stronglifts 5x5 program and seen good results. Every so often I mix up some 20 rep sessions and these really help kick along the progress. I have also started doing Fadi's 100 reps for some muscles.

In terms of goals I want to be able to bench my own weight 20 times. I want to be able to squat double my weight and deadlift double my weight. I want to be able to do 50 reps of wide grip chin ups (the one goal that seems the furthest away). I also want defined muscles.

This in turn leads to nutrition. Foodwise I don't eat enough but what I do eat is healthy. I came across the Gourmet Nutrition book here and have used that recently. I am going to look into a 2200 calorie diet and then work upwards from there.

Supplementation-wise, I was using some Anator that had creatine in it and noticed that once I came off it, gains seemed alot harder haha.

I take a multivitamin in the morning (about to run out so need to look for another one recommendations?) and 4 or so 1000mg fish oil caps through out the day and 1 calcium tablet before bed.

Pre workout i am using animal pump by universal. However I think I want to get off things that use caffeine and might looking into some of the NO products. Alternatively, I might get some stuff from bulk nutrients and make my own.

I use probolic mass up which has proteins and a large chunk of carbs after a workout and sometimes as a meal shake.

I am about to head over to aminoz and buy some dymatize creatine, as well as some bcaas or eaas for pre, during and post workout.

Thanks for providing such a great forum.

Cheers
Ben

I have also started doing Fadi's 100 reps for some muscles.

Hello Ben and welcome to Ausbb. Please be aware that the 100 reps we're talking about here are for indirect muscle stimulus, where blood flow and capillary/blood vessel building is our priority. These in turn would serve to facilitate delivery of nutrients to your hungry muscles.

1 calcium tablet before bed.

I see that you’re taking calcium. Ben, if you tell me that you’re thirsty and I offer you the ocean to drink, would that be of any value to you; would the ocean water quench your thirst?

I’m not sure why you’re taking calcium or what type of calcium you’re taking but taking calcium by itself is like me offering you sea water when you’re thirsty, it’s water yes, but it won’t hydrate but would dehydrate you instead; serving the opposite of the intended purpose.

Calcium will wake you up, or at least will not help you fall asleep since it stimulates your sympathetic nervous system, that means it will provoke a fight or flight response. And we all know these two responses rely on adrenaline which we also know is the stuff that gets you going.

So now what?

Now we either don’t take calcium, or better still (in my opinion), we simply include the mighty magnesium with it so as to balance your whole system out and bring it back into smooth rhythm.

How or why would that happen?

That would happen because of our inclusion of magnesium which is a mineral that has a stimulatory effect on our parasympathetic nervous system. That is the environment where rest and digestion take place; peaceful, calmness, and tranquility.

I’ll leave it here since this is not really the place where I give advice. I’m sure sooner or later you’ll start your own training journal where all can offer as well as get some advice off you.

Again, welcome to Ausbb Ben and everyone else.

Fadi.

Hi guys,

Just wanted to intro myself.
My name's Marzz, 33 years old now, and back in to serious BB after a 3-4 year break. I started training when I was about 18, got serious about 4 years after that, and it's been a big part of my life for almost half my life!

I was training pretty seriously for a couple of years at Pure Fitness in Canningvale (WA), and had some personal / health issues before the 2006 NABBA comp which caused me to pull out about 6 weeks out, and take a hiatus for a few years.
Spent the last few years enjoying married life, probably a bit too much actually, where I ballooned out and got very unfit.
Been back training pretty heavy at my local rec centre for past 6 months and trying to get back to where I was! Going down a bit of a different path this time, but once you've started training, I reckon you can't let it go for too long! I needed a break, but I am glad to be back!

Hello All

- Name ADAM
- Age 33
- Gender MALE
- Location BRISBANE
- Training experience WEIGHTS, 4 DAYS A WEEK FOR 6 MONTHS
- Any Interests CRICKET, MY SON, HAVING FUN

I have joined this forum to ask questions and get tips on topics i know nothing about.
I have been doing weights for 6 months now, 4 days a week. I am getting good results and i am happy with rusults so far.
I don't know muc about weight training, suppliiments and the likes so if i ask a dumb question, which i probably will, please go easy on me hahaha. :D

G'day,

welcome, there is tonnes of info and knowledgeable people who can give sage advice. Cheers.

A little bout me. Jon, I'm not new to the BB scene, dabbled in it the past 5 years, just never had work/life balance to fully cope with it.

I am a degree qualified exercise physiologist (UNSW) and I have just qualified as a lawyer, working in a regulatory body which is remotely relevant to BB.

- Name: Zac
- Training experience: Just over a year ago i did 6 months at the gym going Min of 3 times a week. not all weight some was cardio

Hey guys. Ok the reason why I have joined up was to get some good ideas for good work out reps. I never realy cared about bulign up and looking good as I was a runner and have done alot of cardio. I recently had surgury and was not able to play my sports that i did. I know have put on 8ks and would like to change that 8kgs of fat to muscle. I guess my goal now is to change my whole body and jsut make it look realy good. I dont want to be massive as I have always been happy. So yeah lets see how I go.

Train as if you want to be massive and you'll get were you want to be quicker.

And welcome to the forum.

Welcome to one and all. Looking forward to the exchanging and sharing of some powerful and most importantly fruitful ideas.

Growing in knowledge then sharing it is what Ausbb (and life) is all about, so make yourself at home and please ask questions; the silliest questions are often the best (in my opinion) :).

Fadi.

- Name - Michael
- Age - 20
- Gender - Male
- Location - Melbourne
- Training experience (if you have any that is) - afew months with mates when i was 18
- Any Interests - tennis, soccer ...

well im skinny as hell, and want to tone up, get about 10kgs
im currently 175cm, and weight about 56-58, which is pretty much underweight or just about there, so yea was hoping ausBB forum could give me some advise on that

- Name Damien
- Age 28
- Gender M
- Location South Coast
- Training experience 8 years
- Any Interests bodybuilding (3 competitons so far) and cars

Hi guys i joined to meet other fellow competitors and chat, happy to help anyone out who has questions. My goal is to win the under 80kgs and the IFBB nationals.

Name - Steve
Age - 28
Gender - Male
Location - Karratha WA
Training experience - Mindlessly plodding around my home gym for a few months
Any Interests - Fishing, camping with my missus and two boys, now weightlifting.

I started lifting weights at the start of the year on my bench but could not do squats so I have joined my local Gym and I'm looking for better results. I started with the Stronglifts 5x5 but I think I will move out to Fadi's beginner program. Idealy looking to add definition and get stronger. I'm 177cm and 75kg, 19%BF and looking to get to 80kg.

On the 5x5 I'm currently doing 80kgB/P, 75kgSquat, 75kgD/L and 40kgM/P

Cheers Steve

- Name Matt
- Age 32
- Sex Yes Please
- Location NewCastle
- Training experience 15 Years
- Interests Training, Travel, Cooking, Marketing, Motorbikes, 4x4 and Eating !

Hi AUSBB ... I have been a member of couple of other site for a while and thought I'd give this one a go aswell.

Was in Brisbane but have reloacted tro Newcastle to Live and also get over Knee reconstruction surgery, Full ACL
replacment was 2 weeks ago today. So I'm hobbling about a bit, hopeful to get back onto serious training by september.

Look forward to sharing the weath of knowledge you have on here.

whaadup guys

Name - Arvindh Muktevi
Age - 21
Gender - Male
Location - Sydney NSW
Training experience - Not worth mentioning!
Any Interests - love going to the gym, flying, modfying cars, badminton, cricket, squash and swimming!

Well coming from an indian nationality(vegetarian) as you guys know our genes are not all that mutant :p . Cuttently weigh a mere 59 kgs, 21 years old should i add that am ashamed looking at people at my age being twice my size and so fit.

Anyway i went to the gym frequently for about six months in new zealand and gained healthy 6kgs before moving to australia now have come down to 59. Pretty gutted so i want to change things around and get cracking.

People i look up to are ARNIE and RONNIE COLEMAN. I basically want to get to 85-90kg's, be a lot stronger and agile. I know you cant go buff overnight and certainly willing to go that extra mile to achieve my goal the right way.

Also please advice me on any particular gym around baulkham hills/ castle hill/ quakers hill sydney..Only after free weights not worried about flashy swimming pools or saunas.

Any advice will be much appreciated guys =)

Hi all,

Found this website after a couple of links were posted from the OCAU website

Name - Shannon
Age -33
Gender - Male
Location - Sydney NSW

Have lost some amount of overall weight (8-9kg), and drastically changed body composition in the last 12-18 months. Still would like to lose some fat tissue. In the last month or so have started training in an Olympic WL gym.

I am still quite weak when it comes to the weight I'm lifting - and a bit old, but enjoying learning new lifts and techniques and keeps me much more focused than badly swinging around dumbells in a commercial gym

edit: got your PM derka, but can't even read it till I have more posts, don't go thinking I'm just being a rude bastard haha

Last edited:
Welcome Petesh

You will find that there is a few other members of ocau floating around Ausbb

G'day folks,
Thought I'd introduce myself..

Name: Rob
Training experience: Used to train regularly while in year 12 and while at uni for 5 years after that. After moving around to regional locations without gyms for work I slowly got out of it
Any Interests: Fly fishing, motorbikes, four wheel driving, trekking around in the wilderness, hiking, reading, reef and marine aquariums and chilling with my Bulldog when I'm not doing any of the above...

Now that I'm back in Melbs I'm looking forward to getting back into training. I'm just starting to get my diet under control again and will soon get back into training. I'm 6'3 and weigh about 100kgs, looking to cut body fat and weight down to around 90-95kg and then go pretty hard on the weights and get myself back to about 100kg. Am trying to decide if I should spend the cash and get myself a decent setup at home or just join a local gym (which always seems to be pretty packed and the monthly rates are very steep IMO)..

Cheers, all the best and looking forward to making the most of the resources on this site:)