• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adam Coe

G'day Adam, hows things? nice to hear from you
I'm doing a bit of FIFO contract work at the moment, so I'm not sure if I will be around when the seminar is on, but as soon as you have a definite date, I should be able to work around it.
Haven't seen Tony in a while, I used to try and stay in touch, but since I've been living down south it's gets a bit more difficult.
Fatty Jordan still around?, I know there was a heap of the old crew at Alex Kapica's funeral last year, unfortunately I couldn't make it. He really was a true gentleman, and one of the most fun blokes you could ever meet. A real loss for everyone who knew him.

G'day again Shane....

G'day Adam, hows things? nice to hear from you
I'm doing a bit of FIFO contract work at the moment, so I'm not sure if I will be around when the seminar is on, but as soon as you have a definite date, I should be able to work around it.
Haven't seen Tony in a while, I used to try and stay in touch, but since I've been living down south it's gets a bit more difficult.
Fatty Jordan still around?, I know there was a heap of the old crew at Alex Kapica's funeral last year, unfortunately I couldn't make it. He really was a true gentleman, and one of the most fun blokes you could ever meet. A real loss for everyone who knew him.

G'day again Shane...

Living 'down south'.? Florida, Mexico..???

So sorry to hear Mr. Kapica passed away. Never met him, however, from past conversations with other 'older' guys, he certainly was a legend. He joins many other legendary lifters from days-gone-by, John Wright, Mal Miekle, etc. Gone, but.....not forgotten....

Chat soon....

Serious question..????

HA.! Gotcha fooled, right there.!!

Who knows..??

Maybe 1 case, maybe....10..???

Nah....can't recall....had too many Cougars today (HIC.!).

HA HA HA HA HA..!@#@!!@##@!

Adam serious question.....how many cases of Cougar do you go through a day? :p

:D

Read through this thread from the start Adam and it's a cracker thanks for taking the time and thanks for being one of the best MC's at comps and helping with the sport

I've got some questions for Shane and I figured this would be the best place.

How did you used to train heading into a powerlifting comp?

Did you change anything about your training when you started bodybuilding?

What was your diet like heading into a bodybuilding comp?

Did you change anything the week before the comp to get rid of water etc.?

I read somewhere that you held the junior squat world record, can you tell me how you got into powerlifting and whether you competed consistently until retirement or took a few years off between comps (your powerlifting history I guess)?

Are you involved in lifting/bodybuilding at the moment? planning to make a comeback?

Hopefully you see this. It's a lot of questions but if you could answer even one of them that would be great. Thanks.

Any lifter, regardless of bodyweight, who can total 2000lbs in a single ply squat suit, single ply shirt and single ply deadlift suit is unbelievably strong.

Adam and Steve have, as has Adam Pinkard and Odell Manuel from PA, and Ray Rigby and Fred Herman, both back in the 1980's, Dino Tocci in 1990, Clyde Holani, Chris Caltabiano, Paul Jordan, Robbie Carruthers

Adam - 2116lbs
Ray - 2094lbs
Fred - 2072lbs
Steve - 2072lbs
Adam - 2066lbs
Clyde - 2028lbs
Chris - 2028lbs
Dino - 2022lbs
Odell - 2019lbs
Paul - 2017lbs
Robbie - 2000lbs

To the best of my knowledge, they are the only 11 in Australia, Nathan Baxter has gone close.

Adam can correct me if I'm wrong

I have a 940 total PTC. I did this in WA so it wasn't accepted as a record. Adam was actually spotting for me that day.

Also congrats Adam for learning how to use the internet ;) You going down to Collie again this year? My knee hasn't ben the same since that comp.

Gee....thanks.!

Read through this thread from the start Adam and it's a cracker thanks for taking the time and thanks for being one of the best MC's at comps and helping with the sport

Aw shucks....THANKS SO MUCH.!@!@

Catchya @ the next one.! :)

Afternoon Nathan.!

I have a 940 total PTC. I did this in WA so it wasn't accepted as a record. Adam was actually spotting for me that day. Was I.? At Henry's Gym.??

Also congrats Adam for learning how to use the internet ;) You going down to Collie again this year? My knee hasn't ben the same since that comp.
Spoke to that little fella from tropical Collie (Matt...) at the comp. on Scarborough Beachfront Sunday just passed. He got an easy 240kg bench to win, could've (should've...) been a 250. Reckons he'll smoke the 250 @ the State Titles in May, Henry's Gym. The Collie Strongman Comp. wasn't held last year, however, Matt's confident it'll be a goer this time round. YEP, we'll be there.!
What's the go with your knee.? Can't recall any great dramas at the event you're referring to.?? Hopefully, nothing TOO dramatic..??
Chat soon.! :)

Bumped this thread- thanks to Adamklam, particularly post 148...very interesting/informative!

I liked the advice he gave in Sticky's interview - something along the lines of Rome not being built in a day. I've heard a lot of stronger guys repeat this (e.g. Magnus Samuelsson)

Gotta be patient and dedicated!

Thanks again Dave...

My old A4 Exercise Book of Training Routines is lost somewhere in the shed. Probably take me 6 months to find it....sorry. :(

However, a sample routine (based upon Ed Coan's Training Cycles, & adjusted for somewhat lighter weights...) in the Squat (can be applied to the Deadlift as well...) would read something like this :

Let's presume a competition is scheduled for Australia Day, 2011. That's approx. 3 months from now. Let's also presume a MAX. Squat of, say, 300kg for this competition. All-in-all, about 14 or 15 weeks of training. ASSUMING you have been training WITHIN your limits in the previous few months, you're (relatively...) uninjured & you are DEFINITELY up-to-speed for the task ahead (i.e. mentally & physically healthy...), then, the following routine could apply ;

Ed Coan's routine (same as which I utilised to good effect for a number of years...) calls-for 3 x weeks of 12 repetitions, 7 weeks of 5 repetitions, 3 weeks of triples (3 repetitions...) &, just before date of competition (allowing for 7 days rest BEFORE the 'big' day...), 2 weeks of doubles (2 repetitions..).

The weekly 'jumps' (or increments..) are 10kg's/week. Again, using a competition-day squat of 300kg's, you need to subtract 150kg's (approx. 15 weeks x 10 kg's/week...) from this 1RM. In actual fact, you will NOT be performing a 1RM of 300kg's in the gym, this MUST be left 'til day-of-competition.

So.....I would use 290kg's for my LAST training session (two weeks out from date-of-competition..). This would, therefore, become 290kg's for 2 reps on my FINAL squat session.

290kg's - 150kg's = 140kg's.

So.....your 'current' squat session would be 3 sets of 12 repetitions on 140kg's. The following week would be 3 sets of 12 repetitions on 150kg's. Final week of 12's would be 160kg's, 3 x sets of 12 reps.

If you've gotten as far as this, you're probably going to have enough 'condition' for the next 7 weeks of 5 repetitions. The earlier phase is a CONDITIONING cycle, for me, to prepare the mind & body for what is about to take place.!

Your first week of 3 x sets of 5 repetitions on 170kg's should, quite simply, be a 'piece-of-cake'. Do NOT get too carried-away.! The following 6 weeks will be an absolute test of your own intestinal fortitude ; believe me, the prospect of facing AT LEAST one set of 5 repetitions squatting 240kg's on your final week of 5's AIN'T something to look forward to.!

Assuming that, on this final week of 5's at a weight of 250kg's (no knee wraps, no supportive equipment such as squat suits etc., belt ONLY), you are able to perform a MINIMUM for 1 x set of 5 reps. on 240kg's, you can be reasonably assured that the 300kg comp. day lift is going to happen. Generally speaking, with this routine, if you are able to 'get-through' the 7 weeks of 5 reps., success will usually follow. Your mind & body has COMPLETED the in initial phase of 'conditioning' work, the central nervous system is prepared & the muscular structure will/SHOULD be able to handle the final phase.

The next three weeks will be as follows :

2 (or 3..) sets of 3 reps. on 250kg's
".................................................." 260kg's
".................................................." 270kg's

Finally, 2 (or 3...) sets of doubles on 280kg's, &, for your GRAND FINALE, at least ONE set of 2 repetitions on 290kg's.

Thereafter, ONE FULL WEEK of either :

COMPLETE REST, or, if you're not comfortable with this, one x week of LIGHT conditioning work. This is ENTIRELY at your discretion ; you'll be guided by how you're feeling, muscle soreness & other variables. Obviously, if you're working a hard, heavy manual-labour job, the one week of rest AWAY from the gym should be utilised.!

By the end of this cycle (including a similar routine for benchpress & deadlift : only difference being the bench calls-for jumps of 5kg/week..), your mind & body should have been FULLY overloaded to the extent that you are READY for the day-of-competition. The whole idea is to FORCE your 'being' into accepting the task ahead. Not easy, however, remember, you are attempting to reach a PEAK on, or about, the actual day of competition.

Now....although I cannot strongly-enough stress the ABSOLUTE importance of following this routine AS-PER-THE-FIGURES-MENTIONED, as with all-things human, there can be some 'stumbles' along the way. You may need to modify the weekly jumps (i.e. 5 or 7.5kg's/week, or similar..) ; you may need to start-out lighter (or heavier..) than my figures suggest, you may need to adjust/modify along-the-way. These are some aspects only YOU will be able to control, as you progress. Remember ; start-out light, & follow MEASURED-PROGRESS all-along-the-way.

A note re : supportive equipment. As we came from an era of Single-Ply Squat & Benchpress Suits (as did Ed Coan in the 80's & 90's..), the VAST MAJORITY of this training cycle is/was completed WITHOUT the use of abovementioned items. Knee Wraps can be used for squats TOWARD THE END OF THE 7 WEEKS OF 5'S, & Ed Coan suggested wearing a standard Single-Ply Squat Suit WITH THE STRAPS DOWN for the triples & doubles. BENCH PRESS SHIRTS ON THE DAY-OF-COMPETITION ONLY. Now....these comments may come-across as somewhat brutal, however, as per previous discussion, you are attempting to 'force' the body to new heights ; adding equipment to make this job easier can be viewed as COUNTER-PRODUCTIVE.

This is how myself (& many others...) trained for many years ; some competitions 'panned-out' as almost exactly as planned, others not-so. Tip : ENSURE YOUR MAX. LIFT ON THE DAY OF COMPETITION IS REALISTIC.!! You will find yourself pleasantly surprised if you are aiming for a 300kg Squat, as per the previous figures, the routine goes well ALL-THE-WAY, &, on day-of-comp., your opening attempt of 270kg is EASY-AS. Best to FINISH STRONGLY with your Personal Best/Record of 300kg's THAN TO SET YOURSELF TOO-HIGH A MARK & FAIL.!! Base your upcoming competition max. lift ON YOUR PREVIOUS BEST IN COMPETITION.

In 1992, when lifting at my near-best in the 100kg Open Mens Class, I readied-myself for an attempt (at the C.A.P.O Australian Titles..) on my own Record Total of 900kg's. EVERYTHING WENT ABSOLUTELY ACCORDING-TO-PLAN, until, one day when benchpressing 200+kg (no supportive equipment, belt-only, a suggested 5 reps.), the IDIOT who I had spotting me decided to 'move-his-attention' to some spunky-looking girl wandering by. Result.? I struggled to rack the weight AFTER completing the required work, missed the right-hand upright, & the weight pinned my right arm on the power-rack as it crashed earthward. Consequently, a trip to hospital, competition MISSED & a potential chance at a completely-gettable record GONE.

What has this to do with Training Routines.? Well, nothing really, except to enforce the following point : IF YOU ARE LIFTING HEAVY WEIGHTS, READYING YOURSELF FOR COMPETITION, ENSURE ALL POSSIBLE VARIABLES, SUCH AS WAYWARD TRAINING PARTNERS, ARE ADDRESSED LONG BEFORE such weights are handled. The BEST routines (& competition build-ups..) are sometimes wasted on unforeseen external influences.!

Think I've 'done-my-bit' for now.! CHEERS.!

@kaz