• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Adam Coe

Bumping before i go to bed for awesomeness.

Markos, if you were cool you'd tell us how adam trained, what powerlifting gyms were like back then and any lolsy stories.

I had the pleasure of meeting and chatting to Adam at PTC and at the nationals.
He is a very easy going, humble and funny dude.
Top bloke.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why dosent Adam compete now?
I don't think he's motivated by masters records.
He is the best MC in the country now, and has an encyclopedic knowledge of powerlifting history, and seems to be in pretty good health now.
Adam has mentioned to me in the past that to be elite in Powerlifting is probably not healthy, but that also holds true for most other sports, to be the absolute best requires putting your body on the line to get there.

I've never had the opportunity to see him squat, but I've seen him reverse grip bench and sumo deadlift, and in both lifts his technique is absolutely perfect.
All his warmups were exactly the same as the comp lifts, apart from speed.

From discussions with him his training was based on coan style periodisation, with reps reducing from 8's to 5's and 3's just before comp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers big fella, I'm hoping to get out to the next comp, I may see you there

Sorry, I'm just confused, I don't mean to start any heat, but I thought you aren't allowed to attend PA events if you attended any other meets in the past year that aren't PA-sanctioned?

For Oliver.

Adam trained 3 days a week, one lift per day - Squats- bench - dead

No boxes, no bands, no chains. assistance work was kept to a minimum.

Stuff I did see him do was chins, rows, CGBP, cant remember much else.

As Paul pointed out, technique was flawless, every rep, every set.

Seldom wore equipment aside from knee wraps and a belt.

When he went over PPP, he said it was like we used to train, as the weight went up, the reps decreased and the sets increased, we'd hit a peak, start again.

This has been going on forever, the length varies, thats about all.

Very basic training, always very heavy weights, 300kg deads and 200kg benches raw, he would hit these very often.

Sorry, I'm just confused, I don't mean to start any heat, but I thought you aren't allowed to attend PA events if you attended any other meets in the past year that aren't PA-sanctioned?

This rule is really only enforced for top level lifter

Last edited by a moderator:
For Oliver.

Adam trained 3 days a week, one lift per day - Squats- bench - dead

No boxes, no bands, no chains. assistance work was kept to a minimum.

Stuff I did see him do was chins, rows, CGBP, cant remember much else.

As Paul pointed out, technique was flawless, every rep, every set.

Seldom wore equipment aside from knee wraps and a belt.

When he went over PPP, he said it was like we used to train, as the weight went up, the reps decreased and the sets increased, we'd hit a peak, start again.

This has been going on forever, the length varies, thats about all.

Very basic training, always very heavy weights, 300kg deads and 200kg benches raw, he would hit these very often.

God damn I'm keen to lift.

I have to admit, you inadvertantly train like Adam did 20 years ago, except for the structure, basic lifts, minimum fuss.

Adam was very consistent and always used progressive resistance. His sessions were quite long, he did lots of sets

Paul mentioned that Adam used periodisation. I'm not sure I witnessed that, but I only trained with him from 1988 to 1990, when Tarzan and Jane closed down, Adam continued to compete for quite a few years after that.

Maybe Paul can ask Adam to come on here and explain a little himself.