• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

ACE-031: New anabolic currently being developed

PowerBuilder

ACE-031: New anabolic currently being developed

Author: Anthony Roberts

The good folks over at Acceleron Pharmaceuticals have been hard at work developing a new anabolic called ACE-031 (ActRIIB-IgG1). It’s a new drug with an old idea – myostatin reduction. You see, myostatin (aka GDF-8) is a hormone that negatively regulates muscle growth. The more myostatin you have, the less your muscles grow, ceteris paribus. See that? I used a Latin phrase to show you how F*cking well-educated I am. It means “all things being equal” but I used the Latin version like a pretentious a-hole. Ha!

timthumb.php

ACE-031 is a protein therapeutic based on the activin receptor type IIB (ActRIIB). ActRIIB binds to myostatin (GDF-8) and inhibits its activity. Essentially this stuff binds tightly to myostatin while still allowing ACE-031 to circulate freely throughout the body. In other words, it gives myostatin something to bind to, other than its usual receptor. Right now, the delivery method appears to be a subcutaneous (sub-q) shot.

ANYWAY….Flex Wheeler is rumored to have no (or little) myostatin – which is odd since the pre-steroid photos of him show an emaciated 140 pound kid that looks like he should have a big belly and flies landing on his eyeballs while Sally Struthers interviews him.

ANYWAY…In September of ‘09 Matthew Sherman, M.D., Chief Medical Officer at Acceleron announced “We are excited to share these encouraging results from our ACE-031 Phase 1 single dose clinical trial at the World Muscle Society meeting next week. Preliminary results show increases in lean body mass and muscle volume as well as positive effects on bone and fat.” Based on that Phase 1 single dose clinical trial, they have initiated a multiple dose study of ACE-031 in healthy volunteers. Earlier, in 2007 they announced the results of a study conducted on rodents where treatment with ACE-031 resulted in a 19% increase in lean body mass. Not bad…we saw similar claims with IGF-I, which worked well, but nowhere near what the rodent studies implied.

Their Chief Science Officer (CSO?) announced: “Previous studies with ACE-031 demonstrated that the drug directly enhances muscle mass and strength in preclinical models of neuromuscular diseases. These new data provide yet another example of the ability of ACE-031 to prevent muscle loss or restore lost muscle resulting from a disease or its treatment and further support the potential of ACE-031 to benefit patients suffering from neuromuscular disease or muscle loss associated with cancer.”

They’re hoping to have this stuff out on the market within the next few years and clinical trials are currently underway.

Last edited:
I guess for individuals that have expondential growth that could become harmful, it would help them out & increase their quality of life

I should rephrase:

What is the intended market for this drug? Medicinal or body composition (aka steroids)